ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have purchased the following parts for my 2011 subaru WRX STi Hatchback:

1) COBB Tuning Stainless Steel Turboback Exhaust Subaru STI Hatchback 2008- 2011/WRX Hatchback 2011.

2) Process West Cold Air Intake Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2011.

3) Process West Top Mount Intercooler Subaru STI 2008-2011.

4) Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 with Full Adapter Set. Now Includes CAN Support.

how do i get a tune my car for these parts? are there any ready made off the shelf tunes for the above mentioned parts that i can download from any website and upload it to my cars ECU using the tactrix cable?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
No

Go to a Subaru tuning shop, or contact one about tuning remotely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So whats the use of the Tactrix cable? I thought that i could use it to upload ECU tunes to the car, i didn't purchase the Accessport device because my car is a Euro version, and accessport only works in US spec vehicles.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
jalmood said:
So whats the use of the Tactrix cable? I thought that i could use it to upload ECU tunes to the car, i didn't purchase the Accessport device because my car is a Euro version, and accessport only works in US spec vehicles.
I know of no base map that will account for your aftermarket TMIC/intake. You'll need a custom tune for them. See if there are any shops that will remotely tune the car for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate all your responses to my thread EJ257, i have one more inquiry, can i install the parts mentioned above without tuning the car? i know that i won't be getting the max performance without a tune but will such a move cost me a lot of visits to the workshop or trigger the check engine light or cause a rough idle and drive?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
i have one more inquiry, can i install the parts mentioned above without tuning the car?

Absolutely not.

Sadly,this is why you should have researched before buying everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries rage-wrx, i will get it tuned sooner or later, i am just in a hurry to get the parts fitted, i hate seeing them lying around my garage :D

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The parts you purchased are great parts.

You need to be tuned for them however. If you install the intake, and it skews your MAF readings.. then you could run lean enough to cause damage to the car. You install the turboback, and you reduce back pressure... you could then overboost, which can cause damage as well.

The intercooler is the only part you can install without hurting anything.

Definitely get a tune with those parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sinister, i really prefer a more easy (user friendly) tuning device like Access Port off the shelf tunes, any leads for such tunes will be most appreciated. the only draw back for the Access Port is that it only supports US spec vehicles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Contact Eric at Torqued Performance or Shamar at Infamous Performance. They both do e-tunes. Since you are not USDM you need to download the stock ROM from your car and send it to your tuner by email. You get back a basemap from them to flash, you install your parts and make some logs via the Tactrix cable and a notebook. Send the logs, wait for the revision. Rinse and repeat 6 times or so and your tune is done. Unless you have a local tuner to work with you this is the only safe way to go.

As Sinister mentions, the one part which really makes it hard is the intake. The exhaust and intercooler you could run with an off-the-shelf tune. The intake will certainly need to be scaled to work properly and safely. So it's up to you. If you want quick and dirty leave the intake in the box, install the rest, flash a canned stage 2 tune and call it good. If you have to have the intake, and they don't make any more power than stock at stage 2, then you need a custom tune, local or remote. Custom tune will almost always run smoother and make better power than anything you can buy off-the-shelf.

There won't be any AP map for this hardware setup and as you mention it won't work on your non-USDM car anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts