Subaru WRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, just purchased a 2019 wrx with msrp of 29,293 for 25,866 plus tax and title. interested in what you guys think about this deal?? thanks for your replies in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was you total cost 29,200 out the door?
I recently bought my 2019 white wrx for 29,700 taxes out the door. I feel like I got a good deal. Considering I live in the bay area and everything is expensive here.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It doesn't matter what we think about it. What matters is that you are comfortable with what you paid for your vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like OP is just asking if they got screwed or not. My 2017 premium 6mt was about $31,280 out the door. Not sure how that compares trim-wise, but less money is usually a good sign.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this thread is from 6 months ago and i basically received 3427 off msrp and was checking to see if this was a decent deal at the time and trying to obtain a comparison to others. This was a base vehicle with some add ons which including popular pkg 3, upgraded interior blue lighting, and door sills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Paid 25,500 OTD for my base. Feel like I could have gotten another couple hundred but I was tired of the waiting around....if your not getting an STI then get a base WRX for Corolla money and make it your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
To put in perspective my 2018 wrx limited (got rear ended at a stop by someone doing 55 😢 is now a cube lol) was 32k out the door and my 2019 STi was 45k. Spend about a grand on performance items and 4k for big brakes on yours it will be easily faster then an STi and 10k less then buying one. I would consider that a great deal. Really the only reason to have an STi is the interior (extremely good quality if you havent seen it) and the usual WRX mods you see are already on the car but if you can get a WRX for 30 worth it I think.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
To put in perspective my 2018 wrx limited (got rear ended at a stop by someone doing 55 is now a cube lol) was 32k out the door and my 2019 STi was 45k. Spend about a grand on performance items and 4k for big brakes on yours it will be easily faster then an STi and 10k less then buying one. I would consider that a great deal. Really the only reason to have an STi is the interior (extremely good quality if you havent seen it) and the usual WRX mods you see are already on the car but if you can get a WRX for 30 worth it I think.
You are still missing 99% of what makes the sti superior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To put in perspective my 2018 wrx limited (got rear ended at a stop by someone doing 55 is now a cube lol) was 32k out the door and my 2019 STi was 45k. Spend about a grand on performance items and 4k for big brakes on yours it will be easily faster then an STi and 10k less then buying one. I would consider that a great deal. Really the only reason to have an STi is the interior (extremely good quality if you havent seen it) and the usual WRX mods you see are already on the car but if you can get a WRX for 30 worth it I think.
Absolutely clueless

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Not clueless just not informed.

The transmission, lsd, center diff, and s drive system are a lot of what makes the sti what it is. Most people don't account for that when considering better or worse statements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not clueless just not informed.

The transmission, lsd, center diff, and s drive system are a lot of what makes the sti what it is. Most people don't account for that when considering better or worse statements.
Funny how quick people are to talk crap. Those things would be what I meant by the usual wrx mods are already done. Except for sdrive of course that would be tricky. Those were the first things I changed on my 2018 wrx. You can literally make a wrx essentially an STi for cheaper then buying one. It has been done but that's besides the point. Instead of talking crap maybe answer the question yourself if you don't like mine. This is supposed to be a community to help each other. Not a place to belittle people you don't know.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Funny how quick people are to talk crap. Those things would be what I meant by the usual wrx mods are already done. Except for sdrive of course that would be tricky. Those were the first things I changed on my 2018 wrx. You can literally make a wrx essentially an STi for cheaper then buying one. It has been done but that's besides the point. Instead of talking crap maybe answer the question yourself if you don't like mine. This is supposed to be a community to help each other. Not a place to belittle people you don't know.
You essentially can't.

The transmission swap alone with the required hardware would cover the cost between the two. You also can't make more torque and how out of boost than the sti on the 2l.

I'm giving you facts. If you choose to ignore them that's up to you. However you essentially can't make a wrx an sti for cheaper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me lay it out for you. Pick up a base WRX for about 20 - 25g can be used since your replacing a lot of it. I can buy an STi motor and transmission with all necessary hardware that would be hard to fabricate yourself for 7g. Brake kit is 4500 and I could get the suspension for 3g. Price out the rest about another 5g. Of course it can never be exactly the same but you can get pretty damn close. So the total comes to 39,500 - 44,500 if you know how to do it yourself so no labor charges. A new STi is a minimum 45g up to almost 60g (out the door pricing) depending on options so still less. Like I said its been done anything is possible if you have the knowledge. Just because you havent seen it happen doesn't mean it can't. However if you don't know how to do everything you are right its impossible for the money labor would be an insanely high cost but it can be done. Also the diff, motor, and trans aren't needed to be faster then an STi on a road course and in a straight line but for the sake of the arguement I included that. In the end though unless you enjoy working on your car and have the necessary skill you're better off getting an STi. Fyi the 2L will make just as much power as the 2.5 can. Also it pushes more boost then an STi stock. My STi stock peaked at 18psi and the wrx was 19.8 so not sure why you think it cant produce as much boost in stock form at least. Obviously modified the baby turbo in the WRX won't get to where the STi's can. Need to check your "facts".

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
The transmission alone is 7k plus the arms, axles, rear diff, center diff controller, hubs, and other odds and ends. When I priced this exact swap the parts cost alone was 8k. Plus 4k for the brakes. Puts you at 12k.

Base wrx is about 26, base sti about 35.

So now you've been exceeded the cost of the sti. You might be able to save some bucks if you opt for a used transmission but you don't save all that much as they still run in the 5k range without the clutch. Then your average person is going to need to pay someone to handle it as it's not exactly as easy as a spark plugs change.

The entire ej swap is psychotically expensive. The heads are about 500 each while the shortblock is 2k new. This doesn't include any accessories. This also in total will run another 5-7k.

A used longblock runs about 5k for anything in decent shape. Plus you'll need tuning which will run you another 1000ish bucks.

In essence. Thousands of people have tried this, and you seem to be the only person in existence who has successfully accomplished the task.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still clueless

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me lay it out for you. Pick up a base WRX for about 20 - 25g can be used since your replacing a lot of it. I can buy an STi motor and transmission with all necessary hardware that would be hard to fabricate yourself for 7g. Brake kit is 4500 and I could get the suspension for 3g. Price out the rest about another 5g. Of course it can never be exactly the same but you can get pretty damn close. So the total comes to 39,500 - 44,500 if you know how to do it yourself so no labor charges. A new STi is a minimum 45g up to almost 60g (out the door pricing) depending on options so still less. Like I said its been done anything is possible if you have the knowledge. Just because you havent seen it happen doesn't mean it can't. However if you don't know how to do everything you are right its impossible for the money labor would be an insanely high cost but it can be done. Also the diff, motor, and trans aren't needed to be faster then an STi on a road course and in a straight line but for the sake of the arguement I included that. In the end though unless you enjoy working on your car and have the necessary skill you're better off getting an STi. Fyi the 2L will make just as much power as the 2.5 can. Also it pushes more boost then an STi stock. My STi stock peaked at 18psi and the wrx was 19.8 so not sure why you think it cant produce as much boost in stock form at least. Obviously modified the baby turbo in the WRX won't get to where the STi's can. Need to check your "facts".
Lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love to know where to get a brand new sti for 35 out the door thats impressive. You're entitled to your opinion whether its right or not as am I though. Apparently you know everything though must be nice lmao enough said believe what you want. In the end having owned both if you want a fast car a WRX is a better buy then the sti regardless of if it can become an STi at cost or not. Take the 10g or so you save put it into the WRX and it will destroy a stock STi all day. Plus the 2L is more reliable don't have to cringe everytime you hit redline for fear of bending a rod or spinning a bearing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.