1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
They answer a question nobody's really asking.

If they can improve fuel economy and emissions significantly they will become standard equipment. Just wait.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Results

In April's issue of Modified, they did a test on these spark plugs. They used a 2006 350Z with 1600 miles on it. They averaged a 10.4whp gain and a 7.5wtq gains!!!! They were so impressed that they said now they're going to start testing them on a bunch of other cars. Admittedly, they didn't expect to see any gains and were shocked to find the results that they did...

At $25 a pop, they're pricey, and longevity is still in question, but WOW...from spark plugs!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Iridium plugs claimed similar gains 5-7 years ago.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
... and Splitfires before that, and so on.

I'd just stick to OEM plugs -- keep your money safe. If any "new" technology's claims have a hint of truth to them the technology will find its way to OEM applications -- so just wait and see.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
In April's issue of Modified, they did a test on these spark plugs. They used a 2006 350Z with 1600 miles on it. They averaged a 10.4whp gain and a 7.5wtq gains!!!! They were so impressed that they said now they're going to start testing them on a bunch of other cars. Admittedly, they didn't expect to see any gains and were shocked to find the results that they did...

At $25 a pop, they're pricey, and longevity is still in question, but WOW...from spark plugs!
Welcome to the power of advertising propaganda.It's all in the details.Dynos can vary 5-10whp per run.If they did one single pull then that data is crap.If they did 5-10 before and after pulls and averaged out the gains then maybe there is something to it.I'm not saying they don't work but there are companies that list every single detail about their dyno #'s and are the one's to take more seriosly.Some companies will list very specific details including date,time,ambient temp and # of runs. averaged.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Welcome to the power of advertising propaganda.It's all in the details.Dynos can vary 5-10whp per run.If they did one single pull then that data is crap.If they did 5-10 before and after pulls and averaged out the gains then maybe there is something to it.I'm not saying they don't work but there are companies that list every single detail about their dyno #'s and are the one's to take more seriosly.Some companies will list very specific details including date,time,ambient temp and # of runs. averaged.
When running our circle track motors on the dyno, we can pull a 15-20hp difference with the only difference being oil temperature.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I installed a full set on my cousins 06 GTO it seemed to really help out the low end grunt anything below 3k rpms just pulls hard now, after 3k your just hanging on anyways lol so no difference really felt there but im sure it did something. fuel economy stayed about the same maybe 1-2 mpg more but nothing drastic.

Id probably get some for my car being i only have 4 cylinders to deal with verses 8 haha.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I installed a full set on my cousins 06 GTO it seemed to really help out the low end grunt anything below 3k rpms just pulls hard now, after 3k your just hanging on anyways lol so no difference really felt there but im sure it did something. fuel economy stayed about the same maybe 1-2 mpg more but nothing drastic.

Id probably get some for my car being i only have 4 cylinders to deal with verses 8 haha.
It probably just needed plugs anyways and regardless of what plugs you put in it probably would have ran better.If your comparing new plugs-new plugs like the OP's buddy with 1600 miles on the plugs then thats different.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
With increased cylinder pressure, .....
:bs:

Everyone saw "huge gains" when they tried split fires the first time too. Like Donkey said, at least be scientific about testing it. Do a comparo between all the different brands of spark plugs on the same day and do 3 pulls each. Test AC Delco, Champion, Platinum, Double Platinum, Iridum, Splitfire, Pulse plugs etc. Post results. Then if they are 10 WHP ahead their might be truth to it.

Notice on their website they have done no such comparison or testing. Its all "Smoke and mirrors". Personally If I had a product that worked, I'd tell what it did and why, then have a huge concrete proof section with said above information backed by dyno graphs, videos, and more technical jargon than the law allows.

Not fancy flash and "look at me I'm a rotating .gif!!":rolleyes:

At this point I think its as effective as snake oil, blinker fluid, muffler bearings, and PROLONG.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All fair points. I just didn't expect a seemingly impartial tester, one with experience, to run a biased or inaccurate test. But the points made are true...without further data and test parameters, you just don't know.

Stupid Jedi Mind Trick...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FYI - found more info...

I know people don't really seem too interested in this, but I thought I'd pass along some more info I came across:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Pulstar+Dyno+Results&mfid=0

"Sparkplugs.com receives a lot of questions in regards to the performance gains and reliability of newer spark plug
technology. We decided the best way to decide if some of the newer technology is just a gimmick, or if they have some
true performance benefits would be to have them dyno’d. We took a Pulstar pulse plug and the stock Champion plug on an SRT-4 to an independent dyno shop, and thought we’d share the information with you.

The test vehicle was a stock 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, provided by Manny Gomez, a member of SRTForums.com (screen
name: hawkable). The test was performed on a Mustang Dyno. We completed three runs for each plug in a cold, warm and
hot state. We then averaged these runs to find the final average horsepower and torque numbers. The results are
based on the vehicle factory-specified gap setting of .050” on the Champion plug and the maximum manufacturer
recommended gap of .045” on the Pulstar plug.

After testing, the Pulstar plug showed an average horsepower increase of 3.03HP and average torque increase of 3.1lb-ft over the stock Champion plug.
All testing performed by Design Craft Fabrication for Sparkplugs.com"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts