ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on pulling the motor out? I've pulled a bunch of american motors before (Mustang and Vette) but this little EJ20 is giving me a hard time. I'm picking up a load leveler for my engine hoist right after this, I'm hoping that will help.

I have the motor off the mounts (two of them?) and its about 1" apart from the transmission, but I can't get it out. It just must be stuck right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on pulling the motor out? I've pulled a bunch of american motors before (Mustang and Vette) but this little EJ20 is giving me a hard time. I'm picking up a load leveler for my engine hoist right after this, I'm hoping that will help.

I have the motor off the mounts (two of them?) and its about 1" apart from the transmission, but I can't get it out. It just must be stuck right?
i've taken my engine out twice.. once to replace it with a 04, and once to replace the internals.. its not that hard.. just disconnect all the hoses.. and are u trying to get it out with the tranny?? cuz if not.. there is a pin that holds the release bearing fork.. and if u dont take that out.. the engine wont come apart from the tranny.. and u can pull and pull and fail..lol.. the pin is on the side where the starter goes.. is a lil plug with a hexagonal shape.. u take that plug off. and inthere is a pin that goes across the fork that the master clutch cylinder pushes.. u have to pull that pin out.. get a bolt that will fit it.. and just pull it.. is not that hard.. u might be able to just pull with ur fingers..if not use something better for a better grip.. once that comes off.. ur engine should be free from the tranny.. PM me if u have any more questions.. i changed my clutch last week.. and im very refreshed on everything..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disaster thanks for the tip, you're a life saver. I'm leaving the transmission in the car, only the motor is getting worked on. I've actually got the motor seperated from the transmission about 1 inch, but something is stuck so it might be the pin you are describing. I'm going to look right now.

If I'm leaving the transmission in the car is this pin an issue?

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
I've actually got the motor seperated from the transmission about 1 inch, but something is stuck so it might be the pin you are describing. I'm going to look right now.

If I'm leaving the transmission in the car is this pin an issue?
i there is a pin that holds the release bearing fork.. and if u dont take that out.. the engine wont come apart from the tranny.. and u can pull and pull and fail..lol..
:thumbup:

yes, btw.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rogan - I spent the entire weekend working on getting the motor out with no success. It has to be this pin that you and disaster are describing. I got the cap off with a 10mm allen, but I can't get to whatever is inside. That will be this weeks project.

The clutch confuses me - the master cylinder pushes the clutch forwards towards the front of the car, and it pivots inside the bell housing. Doesn't that mean that depressing the clutch pedal would apply pressure to the clutch instead of release it? Do these hydrolic clutches work backwards then classic american cars?

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Thanks Rogan - I spent the entire weekend working on getting the motor out with no success. It has to be this pin that you and disaster are describing. I got the cap off with a 10mm allen, but I can't get to whatever is inside. That will be this weeks project.
The pin has a small threaded hole in it. you can take a small diameter bolt (pref. ~2" long) and thread it into the end of the fork pin. Then you can just pull/slide the pin out. You'll then need to lift up on the fork (once th epin's out) and move the top of the fork forward, which moves the bottom, backward, to clear the TO bearing. I think the bolt is like 5mm or so..

The clutch confuses me - the master cylinder pushes the clutch forwards towards the front of the car, and it pivots inside the bell housing. Doesn't that mean that depressing the clutch pedal would apply pressure to the clutch instead of release it? Do these hydrolic clutches work backwards then classic american cars?
The TO bearing is affixed to the pressure plate.. And yes, the subaru clutch is wierd, in operation ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick that's a huge help thanks so much. The car is actually up at my parents house in Columbia NJ and I'm back home for the week on Long Island so I won't be back up there till next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe my dad will poke around over the course of the week??:p

It's so close and I want to do all the work myself I refuse to give up now, I just never had such a hard time pulling a motor out!

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
cool. just make sure you take the torque rod off, and jack the transmission up as high as you can get it. This allows the motor mounts to lift out of their slots, and then pull the motor straight away, same angle. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I disconnected the torque rod from the firewall to the transmission and put a 2x6 across the car with a threaded rod through it so i could lift the transmission up. My dad welded an arm onto the rod and I mounted it through the same point the torque rod was mounted.

You guys have been a life saver, drinks on me when this project is done :D I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah I disconnected the torque rod from the firewall to the transmission and put a 2x6 across the car with a threaded rod through it so i could lift the transmission up. My dad welded an arm onto the rod and I mounted it through the same point the torque rod was mounted.

You guys have been a life saver, drinks on me when this project is done :D I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.
nice.. if u have anymore questions just pm me.. i've taken my engine out 2 times..lol.. its a pain in the ass.. but possible.. in the beginning i had to take my engine out with my tranny.. cuz i didnt know this lil trick about the pin..lol.. but i think it was easier to put back in the car.. than when i took it out without the tranny, u'll have fun when that time comes..lol

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts

The pin is the pivot for the clutch fork. The motor probably feels like it pulls out, then springs back.

Remove the 10mm heg plug. Thread a bolt into the pin and pull the pin out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey sorry guys, I hate to beat a dead horse here but the pin is really stuck. If my motor is already seperated from the transmission about 3/4 - 1 inch will that prevent me from pulling the pin out? I threaded a small stud into the pin but it won't come out. Is it supopsed to be that tight? Could the fact that the motor and transmission are serperated be putting too much pressure on the fork and pin for me to pull it out? maybe I have to put the transmission and motor back together?

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Hey sorry guys, I hate to beat a dead horse here but the pin is really stuck. If my motor is already seperated from the transmission about 3/4 - 1 inch will that prevent me from pulling the pin out? I threaded a small stud into the pin but it won't come out. Is it supopsed to be that tight? Could the fact that the motor and transmission are serperated be putting too much pressure on the fork and pin for me to pull it out? maybe I have to put the transmission and motor back together?
That would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i acutally had a dream last night i took out two bolts and lifted it right out with my own hands, no lines, or hoses, to disconnect.

:rotfl:

who dreams of stuff like this.....?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know Jeff but I wish dreams would come true - Thanks for the input 302 I'll keep everyone posted. I hope the rest of the project is easier than this. But I'm sure putting the new motor back in will be just as bad, if not worse. Whatever.. patience & beer and it'll go!

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Wallie - push the pair back together. You're probably binding the pivot pin. It'll slide right out, normally..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick I think you are right. Not only are the transmission and motor seperated, but they arn't aligned either, so I think the input shaft or something else is binding. I'm going to bring the two together again to try and pull the pin out like you said. Here some pics of where I'm at. The bolt in the pin is a 7mm and circled in one shot.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm going to bring the two together again to try and pull the pin out like you said.
I've swapped an STI tranny into my wagon and 3 mo after the fact had to change the clutch (again) because of slipping.

I CAN absolutely verify if the tranny & block aren't mated up flush, the pin is a major holding force. Once mated back together, jiggle the fork and pull the pin. It will uninstall quite easily.

Sorry, didn't want to be too redundant. Just my 2 cents. Good work!

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Yep, from the pix, I can tell that's what the holdup is.

Is the torque rod disconnected from the firewall, as well? Can't tell from the pictures.

The clutch fork clips into the TO bearing, and is a total PITA to remove/install, as far as the TO bearing is concerned. It's probably wedged in the tabs now.. Just push it back together, pullt he fork pin, and start over.. It'll be like butter..

OH, I like to take the O2 sensor out of the manifold on the pass. side, since it's sooo close to the framerail. That's a "semi-wideband" unit, and isn't cheap if you break it. :sadwave:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ansonowicz thanks for the info. I'll mate the two back up and take this pin out. Rick thanks for the tip on the O2 sensor - that would suck. As it is Im maxing out my credit cards just get the car back on the road a little better then what it was, I don't need to break things on the way.

In these pictures the dog bone was still attached to the firewall. It has been disconnected from the transmission since then but is still attached to the firewall.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts