Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to install a pulley? Anyone has info on the installation?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
im guessing you mean crank right? On a wrx its really easy. All you need is a chain wrench and a breaker bar. If its anything like toyotas, the pulley will be a b*tch to get off the crank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Astacun1 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Where can I get the special tool to lock the crank shaft?
You can obviate this tool by having a helper/wife/passerby sit in the car and get hard on the breaks. Oh, and make sure the tranny is in 5th gear. Yes, it can be a bee-ach, but mine wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ronin2121 said:
Hi guys. I finally got the pulley. I was looking at the instructions posted by ronin and I wanted to ask, how do you remove the front side belt?? That thing is very thight. By now most of you should've figured that I am noob and this is my first time removing belts. The rear side belt goes out easy once you remove the ac belt tensioner, but there is no tensioner for the front side belt. Any help will be appreciated. I really want to do this myself and learn. Thanks in advance.

Astacun

PD: I just finished installing samco IC hoses, but haven't driven the car. I know that the pulley and the IC hoses won't give me big hp gains, (this is a stupid question) but will my but dyno feel a difference if I install both at the same time?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm gonna say no... the intercooler hoses give you a little safety but no measureable power (dyno confirmed). and at best the pulley will give you about 5-7 hp... you wont feel that and I argue you probably wont get that much either.

·
Registered
435 Posts
MustGoFast said:
I'm gonna say no... the intercooler hoses give you a little safety but no measureable power (dyno confirmed). and at best the pulley will give you about 5-7 hp... you wont feel that and I argue you probably wont get that much either.
THREADJACK:

then why is everyoe running around saying the IC hoses give power? Fixin to order my crank pulley too, and vishnu claims 10-14 whp on theirs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
read posts from educated people... most people w/ knowledge on the subject dispute whether there is minimal or no power gains from IC hoses... most seem to agree that they provide a margine of safety and look nice so taht if there is any power gain its a bonus... as for the crank pulleys... 10-14whp is a joke... your stock pulley just doens't way that much compared to the rest of the rotational mass system in your car... I don't think I've ever seen someone not selling them claim to have gotten more than 5-7.. and this is at the price of reduced electronics quality yee haa... This topic has actually been done so to death as to weather its worth it or not as there are many potentially negative side effects and very little postive gain... do a search!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info .. I have already read all the posts on pulleys. I have decided to give it a try. I just need to know how to take out the front side belt. That thing is too tight. I am afraid of using Brut force. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
435 Posts
OK gotta jack the thread a bit more, did a little digging and found this

Direct quote from Shiv:
"Already did it We see 3-4 wheel hp on an otherwise stock car. We've around 6-8 wheel hp on Stage Zero cars."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...ses#post2580236

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pullies are a good mod. I've had mine on, then off, then on again, because there is a noticeable difference. Without the lightened/underdriven pulley, it's as though it takes seconds to get the rpms to shot up when blipping the trottle. With the pulley, the rpms climb much quicker. It gives me a noticeably quicker startup for my slip clutch launches, as I never dump the clutch. This is especially helpful when I have a more laggy vf30 turbo.

Do a search and you'll see that Dan from Godspeed highly recommends it (that's all the convincing I needed at that time when it was still a questionable mod.)

tk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also remember that if you ever planning on getting a flywheel you'll have to get rid of that pulley or you'll throw a CEL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts