Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just wanted 2 know if anyone has been harrased by the cops because of the wing. When i get the STi i think i mite take off the wing to keep the cops of my tail. thnx:wiggles:

·
Registered
19 Posts
nah a ricer has a better chance of getting pulled over because of a whale tale than we do !!!

anyways the car is way unstable at 100+ speeds without it, that is if you are going to use the car for what it is made for? I get mines over 110 atleast once daily because that is what she likes hehehehehe

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ive been pulled over 3 times since septemer (once for 10 over, once for no registration sticker, and once for following my ex-gf too closely on the highway) but I got off with a written warning each time. Its hard to say I got pulled because of the wing though because the tailgaiting ticket came on a section of road where cops were pulling everyone over, and once they pulled back on to the road it took about 5 secs before they hit their lights again.

The speeding one was at night and the constable hooked a u turn so he couldnt see the wing untill he already commited, and the registration thing was just in a city with cops that like to hassle people.

In my 93 stock celica I got about 4 tickets and only got aobut 2 warnings. In my modded wrx and sti I have only gotten warnings.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have never had a ticket or accident in any of my cars, but recently I moved to a part of my town that has yet to be incorporated. When a part of the town is not yet incorporated, it is patroled by California Highway Patrol. Well, in the last week I have had two tickets, one for no seatbelt,(which is a BS ticket IMO), and one this morning for going 32 in a 25. The speed limit goes from 40 to 25, and I was slowing down in that transition area. Anyways, it is total BS and outside the realm of common sense.

My day is ruined. Perhaps the CHP guy that gave me the ticket could have a fatal car accident by getting run into by a real speeder today. Yeah, that would be the only way for me to feel better about it. Morbid, but honest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
truckerspeed said:
nah a ricer has a better chance of getting pulled over because of a whale tale than we do !!!

anyways the car is way unstable at 100+ speeds without it, that is if you are going to use the car for what it is made for? I get mines over 110 atleast once daily because that is what she likes hehehehehe

Don't beat me up too bad, but IMHO the STI is a rally based vehicle, and was not "built for" 100+ speeds. More than capable of it, infact great at high speeds, but it all started with the rallys which are a lot more about traction and durability than 100+mph speeds, again, only my take on it.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
nycwrx said:
Don't beat me up too bad, but IMHO the STI is a rally based vehicle, and was not "built for" 100+ speeds. More than capable of it, infact great at high speeds, but it all started with the rallys which are a lot more about traction and durability than 100+mph speeds, again, only my take on it.
Not to pick a bone or anything, but have you watched WRC lately? Care to hazard a guess at the top speeds those folks achieve in their rally cars? The wing is there for a reason...stability at high speeds, which includes rallying, IMO.

Cheers

·
Registered
488 Posts
Originally posted by truckerspeed
anyways the car is way unstable at 100+ speeds without it
:D I'm imagining you telling this to the cop.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
vtjim said:
:D I'm imagining you telling this to the cop.
I was trying to picture the same thing: "Well gee officer, I've got that wing on the back...doesn't that make it legel? You see...it's quite stable....."
:wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
nycwrx said:
In rallys when they are taking 6th gear turns the car is being used for over 100mph speeds, maybe your thinking of rally cross or somthing:tongue:

And not all rallys are in dirt, and many imprezas are designed from the factory to run road courses. You wont see 17inch wheels and 13 inch brembos on a dirt rally car.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
afpdl said:
In rallys when they are taking 6th gear turns the car is being used for over 100mph speeds, maybe your thinking of rally cross or somthing:tongue:

And not all rallys are in dirt, and many imprezas are designed from the factory to run road courses. You wont see 17inch wheels and 13 inch brembos on a dirt rally car.
True, but you will see 12" ventilated discs and 4 pots systems on dirt rally cars. I believe when Subaru runs on tarmac they use almost a 14.5" vented disc with a water cooled 6 pot:eek: :eek: :eek: I can't imagine the stopping power of those brakes!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
truckerspeed said:
anyways the car is way unstable at 100+ speeds without it
:rolleyes: How do you know this, have you taken your wing off? I have driven my car with and without the wing at 100+ and there is no difference I can tell. I think the wing does attract cops more, i got pulled over when I first got the car and the cop even asked if my exhaust was stock:rolleyes: . He pulled me over for racing but let me off:p .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
YBNormal07 said:
True, but you will see 12" ventilated discs and 4 pots systems on dirt rally cars. I believe when Subaru runs on tarmac they use almost a 14.5" vented disc with a water cooled 6 pot:eek: :eek: :eek: I can't imagine the stopping power of those brakes!!
That was actually my point;) I can bet the 14.5 vented watercooled 6 pots are designed for bringing the car down from above 100. My point was although the car is not designed for high speed shootouts above 160mph, it is designed to handle well untill it gets to its top speed which is above 100mph, thats all.

And Ive heard of some people who took of their wing stating that the car is not quite as stable in high speed sweepers, but the car is no where near unstable. The wrx is worse above 100 but its still not terribly unstable, just has a bit of rear end lift. Its not somthing anyone is going to really notice unless they do alot of road courses with high speed turns.

·
Registered
251 Posts
anyways the car is way unstable at 100+ speeds without it, that is if you are going to use the car for what it is made for? I get mines over 110 atleast once daily because that is what she likes hehehehehe[/B]

Kinda sad if it needs a wing to be stable at those speeds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you guys know anything about dynamics or fluid motion? (And yes, Air is treated as a fluid flowing over the surface of thecar) You may think its sad but pretty much every automobile out there has some sort of stability body modifications made to it so it doesnt decide to go sideways at higher speeds. I could talk about this forever but the sheer ignorance of the above comment, to someone with an engineering background, just prevents me from even getting started.

·
Registered
89 Posts
STFUTuning said:
I have never had a ticket or accident in any of my cars, but recently I moved to a part of my town that has yet to be incorporated. When a part of the town is not yet incorporated, it is patroled by California Highway Patrol. Well, in the last week I have had two tickets, one for no seatbelt,(which is a BS ticket IMO), and one this morning for going 32 in a 25. The speed limit goes from 40 to 25, and I was slowing down in that transition area. Anyways, it is total BS and outside the realm of common sense.

My day is ruined. Perhaps the CHP guy that gave me the ticket could have a fatal car accident by getting run into by a real speeder today. Yeah, that would be the only way for me to feel better about it. Morbid, but honest.
So, you were speeding, you got a ticket and the cop should die because of that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
copracer288 said:
So, you were speeding, you got a ticket and the cop should die because of that. :rolleyes:
The posted speed went from 40 to 25 right before this one residential area. So I was comming down from 40 to 25 and engine braking a little. It was right as I hit the 25 section. Sometimes things are not black and white. He even told me he heard me downshift. Common sense and courtesy would have been in order.... but I had a flashy looking kid car and he was in the mood... That is BS in my book.

If I was really speeding, on the throttle, blah, blah, blah.... then I would not complain. I think the seatbelt ticket is a BS thing to enforce, but I didn't complain. I know I need to wear it, and I didn't. In this case, I was barely 7mph over the limit, and he admited that he did hear me engine braking as the limit changed. Like I said, this was just a cop who doesn't like this type of car and wanted to bust a young ricer.

Too bad though, since I am not a young ricer. My business will no longer make a 25K per year donation to CHP, as well as some friends and local business associates... I can get the write off elsewhere.

As far as him getting nailed by a real speeder and kicking the bucket.... Why should I care? He was unfair with me, and I hope life goes unfairly for him. As far as the harshness goes, oh well. Plus, I highly doubt anything will happen to him just because I hope it does.

PS... The Sherriff Dept here is professional and courteous. They have better things to do than hold people over the fire for little to no reason. CHP are worthless traffic cops. They shouldn't even carry guns. My Gas Station/Carwash/C-store in this area use to give both agencies free drinks and snacks when they came in, including having the account to wash all the Sherriff Dept. cars. We will keep doing the same with the Sherriffs, but no longer even serve CHP.

I know it's not a big deal, and they can go get their stuff elsewhere and pay for it, but I am pissed, and I reserve the right....

·
Registered
89 Posts
STFUTuning said:
As far as him getting nailed by a real speeder and kicking the bucket.... Why should I care? He was unfair with me, and I hope life goes unfairly for him. As far as the harshness goes, oh well. Plus, I highly doubt anything will happen to him just because I hope it does.

I don't dispute the opinion that it was a nit-picking kind of ticket. I also highly doubt anything will happen to him just because you want it to.

My point is simply that, technically, you were wrong. I'd be upset too if I got a ticket in that same situation but I'd also own up to the fact that I was wrong.

Wishing death on a cop for giving you a speeding ticket when you were speeding is very immature. Perhaps you displayed a little attitude when you got pulled over, that certainly could have influenced the cop's decision.

I don't mean to rant or anything. It's just that I'm on a lot of forums and see countless threads and posts like "I got a ticket for doing something wrong, man cops suck!". Clearly, some cops are more lenient than others when it comes to traffic enforcement and there are way too many variables to predict how each traffic stop is going to turn out. The bottom line is, if you obey the traffic laws, you won't get a ticket.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's mine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
copracer288 said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's mine.
I appreciate your understanding and your opinion. I was actually very nice throughout the whole thing. I was nice because of the fact that I know honey attracts flies better than vinegar. To tell you the truth, I saw the squad car parked on the side of the road and I pulled up next to him and stopped to talk to him. I did that because I thought he was the same cop from my seatbelt ticket. That guy was nice, and I was stopping to say thanks, because I never forget the seatbelt now that I got a ticket for it. That is when I realized that it was a different guy. He told me to pull forward because he was going to give me a ticket.

So you see, I was not only slowing to the new limit, but I was pulling along side to stop and say hi.

Honestly, the speeding ticket guy was very friendly also. He was friendly to me because I was to him. But I could really care less about how friendly he was when he sends me packing with a BS speeding ticket.

Perhaps I sould lock up the brakes next time I hit that 25 zone from the 40. That way there will be no delay in the decelleration. Yeah, I'm sure that'll fly. I'll fight it in court, and I'll win....

You seem like an alright guy, and I appreciate that you understand the whole nit-picking aspect of my situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts