ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask this do we really need to prove our cars to each other. Normally it is really nice to see another WRX on the Road. Most of the time pulling up to one in traffic you get a nod and a smile. Kinda like a family. Today on the way to work. I look in my mirror and behind me i see a nice black Wagon. I was like cool a car i haven't met yet. So i turn the corner from a two line dity road to a four lane highway, taking it easy in hopes to have him pull up next to me and get that WRX family nod. Instead I look in my mirror to see this yougn kid snap his car hard into the outside lane and just wind up the tubro and curse on by. I have to say I was quite disappointed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know, I know. Those are the type on nimnals that hike up insurance rates. I love owning a WRX but at the same time I hate owning a popular import sport compact. This kid you're talking about just hopped over from Honda and thinks he's now the "shiznit" with a factory turbo. I always try to wave to other scoobs and get pretty pissed when they don't wave back. To wave shows that you really know what you're driving. I really hate the fact that these punks can get their grubby hands on a great car and ruin the comradery feeling because you now have to worry about acknowledging some Icy Hot Stuntaz inadvertently. And I want nothing to do with them.

I haven't seen that turd in the white wagon lately at all. He probably smashed his ride already. I'm telling you, I can't wait for the new Neon. I hope it sells like freakin' hot cakes and takes all the "glory" away from the WRX.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
koyokid said:
I know, I know. Those are the type on nimnals that hike up insurance rates. I love owning a WRX but at the same time I hate owning a popular import sport compact. This kid you're talking about just hopped over from Honda and thinks he's now the "shiznit" with a factory turbo. I always try to wave to other scoobs and get pretty pissed when they don't wave back. To wave shows that you really know what you're driving. I really hate the fact that these punks can get their grubby hands on a great car and ruin the comradery feeling because you now have to worry about acknowledging some Icy Hot Stuntaz inadvertently. And I want nothing to do with them.

I haven't seen that turd in the white wagon lately at all. He probably smashed his ride already. I'm telling you, I can't wait for the new Neon. I hope it sells like freakin' hot cakes and takes all the "glory" away from the WRX.
I couldn't agree more. I am sad to see what the WRX community has become. I got the WRX because I enjoy its Rally heritage. Everytime I wave to someone and they don't wave back or give some sign I feel as if its a wasted car, wasted on someone who doesn't know what this car is. I see punk ass teenagers ricing out the car and its a scar for all of us you really appreciate the Subaru WRX. I really hope the Neon takes off, I don't even care if its faster. I just want the WRX to be back in a niche market for all the people who really care about this car for what it is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Im the big 1 8 with my grubby paws on a rex, but I wave to everone I see in a scooby and Ive only had one person wave back to me... Kinda sucks to be in my age group, Ive always loved and worked on cars, and all the people around here dont think I respect having a nice car.... I REALLY pisses me off

·
Registered
854 Posts
Jasin_S said:
Hey Im the big 1 8 with my grubby paws on a rex, but I wave to everone I see in a scooby and Ive only had one person wave back to me... Kinda sucks to be in my age group, Ive always loved and worked on cars, and all the people around here dont think I respect having a nice car.... I REALLY pisses me off
As I've said in the past, it's not the age it's the attitude. You show respect, you get respect. Simple as that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
koyokid said:

As I've said in the past, it's not the age it's the attitude. You show respect, you get respect. Simple as that.

Thats the whole thing though, I never EVER show disrespect to anyone on the road... Im one of those people who could care less about what other people drive/do. I just understand why people who love cars ( especially the same one ) dont have some kind of mutual respect for eachother.. O well though, clubwrx has to be the best place Ive ever been, No matter my age I still get help with my problems and people talk to me with respect... I appreciate it very much

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've encountered 2 other WRXs on the road since I bought mine, and both guys waved (and of course I waved back). I had a kid in an Eclipse give me the thumbs up the other day. I didnt get a chance to acknowledge him because he caught me off guard. I felt bad afterwards for not reacting fast enough. He probbaly thought I was an a-hole. :(

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Yeah I definately like the idea of having a tight knit Suby community. Actually I tend to randomly talk to various Suby owners regardless of model. When I'm not in the car, I also tend to randomly talk to WRX owners as well.....however freakish that seems when you have an overfriendly dude start talking to you. :confused: :D

·
5,799 Posts
2003WRX said:
I've encountered 2 other WRXs on the road since I bought mine, and both guys waved (and of course I waved back). I had a kid in an Eclipse give me the thumbs up the other day. I didnt get a chance to acknowledge him because he caught me off guard. I felt bad afterwards for not reacting fast enough. He probbaly thought I was an a-hole. :(
I chased down two young guys in an NSX a little while back just so I could pull alongside to shout 'Nice f'kin ride!'. They had been trying hard to evade me, and seemed quite surprised when I finally got alongside them to do that. They responded with a big smile and thumbs up. Conversely, a slightly older (40s maybe) S4 wagon driver approached me the other day to ask if I was the 12 second WRX and congratulate me etc. and ask about the car.

You can always tell the real car enthusiasts from the respect that they reciprocate. It's just like Koyo says.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Jose (Initial D~4Life on here) told me the other day that when he got his car back, this guy in a riced-out Accord passed him, rolled down his window, and simply gave him a thumbs down. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't wave at the older folks in the wrxs, I've tried it and they just think I'm wierd. Apparently they always think I'm trying to signal them about a car problem, or, that I know them personally from somewhere. I dunno, coming from a Jeep Wrangler every other Jeep owner knew the drill, the wrx owners are just clueless. Anyhow, I'll wave or honk at the younger crowd though. They'll either wave back, or want to race. Oh yeah, the girls always race, I don't get it, I'm not THAT ugly (I usually let the girls win). :)

jb

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
koyokid said:

All I have to say is well stated! =)

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm a mere 20 years old, but ALWAYS at least wave or nod at other WRX drivers on the road. I'd say 90% of the time they're mature, respectful and acknowledge me. The other 10% of the time is split between some werid older people (once I saw two 50+ year old ladies) or some *******. The ******* is not neccessarily a kid either for the record, but often just some jerk driver.... I love the cameraderie we all have, and that's exactly why this club is so successful. Keep on nodding :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
jimb said:
I don't wave at the older folks in the wrxs, I've tried it and they just think I'm wierd. Apparently they always think I'm trying to signal them about a car problem, or, that I know them personally from somewhere:)

jb
LMOA, jimb. Ain't it the truth ! :D :D

For sure, it's a generational thing to a large extent. Last week, I was driving on 242, noticed a Jetta keeping station with me on the right, young driver then gives me THE NOD. Then today in heavy traffic on I880, young guy hanging out the window of an older Eclipse, checks out my ride and gives me a big smiling thumbs up. Not a quarter of a mile down the road, here's a 40ish old poop driving a Sedona Red WRX wagon. staring straight ahead. I run alongside for quite a while in traffic, i keep watching but he never even looks over at a fellow WRX.

The young people KNOW. They've souped up the car and kicked butt with it on their PlayStations. Some geezer comes to a Subaru dealership and maybe thinks he's buying a safety car or something. :rolleyes: Well, okay, I'm older too, but I have a PS2 and anybody can look at my car and see there's some mods been done.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is kind of funny.

I was going to pick up a movie the other day at Blockbuster. When I got out of my car, I noticed another guy with a red WRX who pulled in. He looked like he was in his 40's. I gave him a nod and he gave a stare like I was a disgrace or something.

He gets out of his car and gave me a lecture on how I'm giving the WRX a bad name. He was going off on my STi stuff on my car(I have the STi decal kit; Front emblem, rear replacement emblems, and the stikers that go on the front doors). He was asking what the F$#@ is STi? And were did you get that stupid pink thing, at Shucks?

I was trying to be as nice as possible and explain what STi was. Then he tells me thats BS. Then he said, hear of SPT idiot?
I then respond by saying yes I have and that that would be basicly America's STi.

Then he goes, why would they change the name like that, I bet you'll say that TRD is some thing else in Japan too then right?

So don't be making up all that crap acting like you know $h!% and do us real WRX drivers a favor and get that crap off that car.

Then he just drove off. Then I was wondering if I should be pissed off or be laughing because of such boneheads out there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Rice Boi said:
This is kind of funny.

I was going to pick up a movie the other day at Blockbuster. When I got out of my car, I noticed another guy with a red WRX who pulled in. He looked like he was in his 40's.

He gets out of his car and gave me a lecture on how I'm giving the WRX a bad name. He was going off on my STi stuff on my car(So don't be making of all that crap acting like you know $h!% and do us real WRX drivers a favor and get that crap off that car.

That's too much, Rice Boi. :D :D :D

So, was he wearing a tweed jacket and smoking a pipe, perhaps sporting string-back driving gloves ? :D

An appearance Nazi. Amazing. I admit it, I might laugh a bit if I saw some kid driving a totally riced-out WRX with one of those wings you need for doing 220mph on the Mulsanne straight. But give somebody an ass-chewing about it ? Heck no. What constitutes a "real WRX driver" then, and who isn't ? I'd say anyone who appreciates the car qualifies.

Some people are just too silly. :rolleyes:

·
5,799 Posts
ScoobySteve said:

The young people KNOW. They've souped up the car and kicked butt with it on their PlayStations. Some geezer comes to a Subaru dealership and maybe thinks he's buying a safety car or something. :rolleyes: Well, okay, I'm older too, but I have a PS2 and anybody can look at my car and see there's some mods been done.
In Colorado, I tend to find it works the other way 'round. I think there's a reason for that though: Subaru have had a huge following here for years (heck, every 4th car is a Subie). So you get two types of WRX owners here. Old-school Suby fans who understand the Subaru culture and the meaning of WRX, and college-age kids who purchased it cos it has a turbo and therefore must be 'fast'. My car is known by most of the Suby enthusiasts in the area, and likewise I recognise most of theirs on sight. Therefore, when some punk driving alongside me in his WRB sedan won't make eye contact, I know that he just doesn't get it.

I kid you not when I tell you that there are droves of WRXes in Colorado. Waving just makes you look goofy, so I only do it now when I know the car or if the guy is blatantly trying to get my attention. It's a very similar situation with the Jeeps (I own a YJ), but it's easier to determine whether the other driver is going to return your wave: Is he lifted and running big meats? If so, he'll wave, otherwise he'll stare at you blankly. People either buy them because they know that they are one of the most capable 4x4s (the Jeep enthusiasts) and they intend to hit the trails, or they buy them to cruise the boulevards with the top down. The latter usually sell them a year later when they realize how uncomfortable, noisy, and all 'round unpractical a Wrangler is for daily driving. Those types would probably be happier in a Suzuki Vitara. After all, that's a Jeep too, right? :rolleyes:

Ramble over.

-Pace

·
Registered
446 Posts
pace said:

You can always tell the real car enthusiasts from the respect that they reciprocate. It's just like Koyo says.

-Pace
So true! I have met many great folks driving everything from model T's to Ferrari's...those that are kindred spirits in their love of all things automotive make the journey truly enjoyable.

Those that understand are part of a big happy family. those that dont really miss out on a lot of truly fine people and wonderful automobiles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts