ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 wrx with ap ver2 stage two with cobb turboback catted. Would it be worth a protune since the accessport is made in utah? i assume it would because it would smoothe out the curves.... but with them being in utah i would imagine that they have it tuned to our alltitude and everything? i really wanna do this but if i will only yeild 10 hp and tq then i dont think it is worth the time and money...... anyone from utah with a protune as opposed to stage 2? anyone else with insight would be appreciated. thanks:wiggles::thumbup:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
A StageII Protune should put you in the range of a stock STi.

It'll cost $300-400.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
i really wanna do this but if i will only yeild 10 hp and tq
you may only gain 10-20whp peak depending on the fuel used BUT you'll gain upwards of +50wtq if tuned properly.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys..... im gonna get tuned at cobb since they are locall so they should do a good job anyone with expierience?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
They are who they are for a reason. I would be fully confident in getting my car tuned there.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet Im Way Excited! Did You Guys Notice A Dramatic Increase In Power Than Before?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Cobb will do the best job in the state. They will be able to turn your car into a monster. You might call and ask them about there thoghts on a GM BCS.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Yes its worth it, yes cobb should do it, yes a 3 port BCS is a good idea as I'm regretting not putting one on before my protune.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I KNOW THEY ARE ON NASIOC BUT I DO NOT LIKE THAT SITE PEOPLE HERE ARE SO MUCH MORE FRIENDLY:p ALSO WHAT IS BCS? SORRY FOR THE GAY QUESTION

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Turn caps off please.

BCS= Boost Control Solenoid

An important component of controlling boost on a Subaru using the ECU.

Factory solenoid is 2 port bleed style, after markets are 3 port bleed/interrupt style.

Their are several available including:

Prodrive
Perrin
Grainger
OEM GM (from typhoon and GN)
OEM Denso 3 port <----- plug and play.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about the caps didnt know it was a bother....... um which BCS would you recommend and why is the stock one not up to par?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Sorry about the caps didnt know it was a bother....... um which BCS would you recommend and why is the stock one not up to par?
Which ever one Cobb recommends. I would seriously call them before making that decision.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will call them now thanks for the advice burger man king. see this is why i like this site so much more than nabisco

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just called COBB and they said for stage 2 power levels a BCS is not needed. they also told me that it would almost be a waste of money because they can only get 5-10 horse power and the same of torque so what do you guys and gals think?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Just called COBB and they said for stage 2 power levels a BCS is not needed. they also told me that it would almost be a waste of money because they can only get 5-10 horse power and the same of torque so what do you guys and gals think?
Peak power isn't what I want to get with a 3 port BCS. Whats important is smoother, quicker, longer boost delivery, resulting in smoother broader curves and higher average power. Who cares about peak numbers?
If you look in my sig at the "my mods" link theres a link to my dyno graph. You'll see torque comes on quick and starts to taper around 3500 rpm down. With a 3 port BCS I could maintain that level for a longer period of time. Thats whats important. ;)

Oh and I have stage 2 power level protuned with an STi TMIC and can tell you that a 3 port BCS would have been worth it. Especially since my tuner told me "no you dont need it" while I insisted but he talked me out of it. Then after 3 hours of tuning and the end of my session, he said "damn maybe we should have put in a 3 port bcs. You were right."

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So im confused should i not listen to COBB? i want to but i dont

·
Banned
0 Posts
So im confused should i not listen to COBB? i want to but i dont
No I would listen to them. I think what the are saying is that there tuning abilities are only so good. I don't know what there deal is though. With there resources they should be able to put down far better numbers than an increase in 10 hp. :screwy:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts