ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of intake silencer removal please. i tried looking it up in different forums but all it tells me is how to remove the intake silencer. I want to know the pros and cons of the small mod so i can decide if i should do it or not thanks.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
there really arent any cons...only pros are it sounds cool.

suggestion: cut the bladder off the silencer, seal teh hole, and put the elbow back in and youll keep the direct line from our ram air system into your intake.

·
Registered
598 Posts
you could get the elbow delete from rallitek for $40 shipped too. i highly doubt this mod will void warranty since you can't tell visually that it has been removed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
it gets annoying after a while,,,,,,,, especially when you have loud exhaust rumble, loud turbo screaming and now plus sucking intake sound........ too much noise, sometimes I just want a quiet ride....
my $ .02

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
slin02 said:
it gets annoying after a while,,,,,,,, especially when you have loud exhaust rumble, loud turbo screaming and now plus sucking intake sound........ too much noise, sometimes I just want a quiet ride....
my $ .02
Meh, I said the same thing too...but the boxer rumble is music to my ears and I wouldn't have it any other way :p

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I have the elbow in there and it sounds fine. Not loud or obnoxious at all, but still allows some sweet turbo/BPV noises in. It might be my imagination, but it seemed like my initial throttle response improved a hair.

·
Registered
61 Posts
slin02 said:
my $ .02
I'm an newbie to the board, but not a newbie to cars, and that is the wussiest thing I have ever heard! If you want a quite ride, go get a Prius, or leave your car stock. Loud and offensive rules! Just so it's not ugly loud like cherry bombs!

Just a gentle ribbing man, I'm not trying to pick on you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I heard water could get in, which is a problem, also some loss in power. I had mine off for about a year, then put it back on and i got a little more low end power back.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
ride5000 said:
http://waterinjection.info/

datalogs show that the snorkusectomy improves mass air flow at low rpms and low vehicle speeds.

ken
as well as reduces maf and flow (hp) at higher speeds (pressurized fender effect is nullified w/o the connection to the fender)

can't find those maf logs... can you ride?

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
based on those datalogs, i decided not to remove the silencer.

the stock maf was much more linear and consistent. (ECU friendly)

whatever minimal gains associated with the removal were minor and only at certain points in the range.

the elbow looks to be the most erratic, and didn't offer any clear benefits either, so that one should definitely be out, and not an option

[EDITS] speelnig.

dR

·
Registered
598 Posts
Jack said:
I heard water could get in, which is a problem, also some loss in power. I had mine off for about a year, then put it back on and i got a little more low end power back.

i wouldn't worry about water getting in. i had AEM CAI on my last car for 4 years and never had a problem. if you use a K&N type filter in the airbox it's not going to let a little bit of water through.

i reccomend the silencer delete elbow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
dark_rex said:
the elbow looks to be the most erratic, and didn't offer any clear benefits either, so that one should definitely be out, and not an option
i should point out that the elbow is NOT the "real" elbow commercially available now, but rather a cobbled home depot DIY elbow. the commercial elbow was not available when those logs were taken.

also note that txs stage 1 includes removal of the silencer.

i took mine out the first week i had the car. it runs perfectly over a year later. i did add a velocity stack into the fenderwell.

jm2c
ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts