ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a potential new owner of a WRX or STi, I have been a bit overwhelmed with trying to use this forum to decipher what the pros and cons are of owning these cars. So, I was thinking we could start a list to help out potential new owners.

I'll start:

Pros:
Acceleration
All Wheel Drive
handling

Cons:
Expensive
Cheap interior
Stereo

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
As a potential new owner of a WRX or STi, I have been a bit overwhelmed with trying to use this forum to decipher what the pros and cons are of owning these cars. So, I was thinking we could start a list to help out potential new owners.

I'll start:

Pros:
Acceleration
All Wheel Drive
handling

Cons:
Expensive
Cheap interior
Stereo
This thread has started out very vague. What are we comparing the pros and cons to? Are we using this WRX/STI as a daily driver? Here is my list:

Pros:
I wanted it

Cons:
Not a boat

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
your Pros are good, your Cons are not.

These cars are not expensive for what they provide, or how they perform. Yes, they are a bit higher priced and cost a bit more to maintain than a Civic, but they are a hell of a lot more car.

The interior is not really cheap. No, they are not up to luxury car standards, but compared to almost any American made non luxury car, they are above par. There are some let downs, like panels that squeak, which are all easily fixed with minimal effort and cost (if you don't have the dealer fix it for you).

radio....really? unless you are getting the absolute top end luxury from a given line, or the lines flagship, the stock radio and speakers on almost all cars suck. that is a universal truth. They are decent, and provide functionality, but are never near as good as what is available aftermarket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your Pros are good, your Cons are not.

These cars are not expensive for what they provide, or how they perform. Yes, they are a bit higher priced and cost a bit more to maintain than a Civic, but they are a hell of a lot more car.

The interior is not really cheap. No, they are not up to luxury car standards, but compared to almost any American made non luxury car, they are above par. There are some let downs, like panels that squeak, which are all easily fixed with minimal effort and cost (if you don't have the dealer fix it for you).

radio....really? unless you are getting the absolute top end luxury from a given line, or the lines flagship, the stock radio and speakers on almost all cars suck. that is a universal truth. They are decent, and provide functionality, but are never near as good as what is available aftermarket.
To be fair, everyone is going to have a different list of pros and cons, based on their individual perceptions. I think it helps people when they start seeing the same issues pop up with people over and over again.

The car is expensive in general terms, maybe not for the performance level but for the overall car. Think about how much more expensive the STi is than the Impreza. You certainly get more car, but it is certainly significantly more expensive, that's all I'm saying.

As far as the plastic and radio are concerned, I'm coming from a BMW 330 and it BLOWS the Subaru out of the water on these two points. Having said that, my mom's 2007 Honda Pilot feels less plasticky and certainly has a better radio. Same goes for my in-laws' 4-Runner. Hell, my wife's 2008 Outback has a better sounding stereo than the one I heard in the STi I drove.

I noticed that you didn't give ANY cons. Care to throw something out there or is the car flawless in your eyes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I was trying to keep the topic more open-ended, not vague. The pros and cons are going to be fairly individualized, however, I'd imagine there will be issues that frequently arise, which could help potential buyers.

Nice pros by the way. I want a Ferrari Enzo and it's not a boat either!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
For the level of performance you get out of either the WRX or the STI, I would not say they are expensive. They aren't free, but consider that the base WRX is about the same price as a midlevel 4-banger Camry, which isn't 4wd.

You get a car that has has nearly 100 more hp, and a relatively simple, but highly effective AWD system for just about the same price.

The stereo arguement is moot, I have yet to see any car in this class with a factory stereo I wouldn't want to replace. My wife's Honda has lots of nice hookups (USB, ipod, etc), and sounds fine, but certainly not anything amazing; same for my WRX.

Parts aren't Honda Civic cheap, but they aren't BMW expensive, either.

The mileage sucks for a car its size, but if you consider the capabilites of the WRX compared to a crossover (as far as driving in snow, etc) its not too bad.

Basically, the WRX tries to fulfill many car segments all at once. I wouldn't say it's the best in any particular one of them, but overall, there aren't many cars as versatile as a Subaru.

Just my humble opinion...

Sent from my Droid 2

·
8,921 Posts
To be fair, everyone is going to have a different list of pros and cons, based on their individual perceptions. I think it helps people when they start seeing the same issues pop up with people over and over again.

The car is expensive in general terms, maybe not for the performance level but for the overall car. Think about how much more expensive the STi is than the Impreza. You certainly get more car, but it is certainly significantly more expensive, that's all I'm saying.

As far as the plastic and radio are concerned, I'm coming from a BMW 330 and it BLOWS the Subaru out of the water on these two points. Having said that, my mom's 2007 Honda Pilot feels less plasticky and certainly has a better radio. Same goes for my in-laws' 4-Runner. Hell, my wife's 2008 Outback has a better sounding stereo than the one I heard in the STi I drove.

I noticed that you didn't give ANY cons. Care to throw something out there or is the car flawless in your eyes?
No car is flawless. But your comparison of vehicles is a little skewed. Comparing a 330 to a WRX is bananas to pastrami. They are in a totally different class. My BMW was WAY nicer than my WRX but I can't compare the two. The BMW focuses on a lot of creature comforts that Subaru does not feel necessary to have in their N.E.R.D. You also can't compare an Impreza to an STI for the same reason that you can't compare a 318i to an M3.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No car is flawless. But your comparison of vehicles is a little skewed. Comparing a 330 to a WRX is bananas to pastrami. They are in a totally different class. My BMW was WAY nicer than my WRX but I can't compare the two. The BMW focuses on a lot of creature comforts that Subaru does not feel necessary to have in their N.E.R.D. You also can't compare an Impreza to an STI for the same reason that you can't compare a 318i to an M3.
Yeah, I got that, and I understand the difference. Again, I did say the pros and cons are going to vary from person to person based on their experiences, needs, perceptions. They are simply opinions of one person. Instead of disagreeing with my opinions, how about offering up some of your own?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Here was my list...

Pros: Better than anything in its price range (<$25k)
AWD
Subaru proven reliability
Utility of a hatch
Low Maintenance

Cons: Poor fuel economy
5 Speed MT
Summer only tires, need 2 sets of tires to drive year round in the mid-west
people like to try to race me too much

Bottom line is that the pros outweighed the cons, so I bought one, and you should too :)

·
8,921 Posts
Sorry, I was trying to keep the topic more open-ended, not vague. The pros and cons are going to be fairly individualized, however, I'd imagine there will be issues that frequently arise, which could help potential buyers.

Nice pros by the way. I want a Ferrari Enzo and it's not a boat either!
You'd have to know my history to get the joke.

If you're comparing pros and cons then you can only be objective. Your personal opinion can not have an influence at all on anyone else. Being as this is an enthusiast site, it's going to be impossible to not give your perspective on a vehicle that you love (or hate). On paper, the WRX or STI are definitely not the greatest choice of vehicle out there depending on what you're looking for. You can expect maintenance costs just like any other vehicle out there and you have to look at Subaru's demographic. They aren't catering to people who want the Harmon Kardon 18 speaker 7.2 dolby digital surround sound. The heated leather seats and extra weight of a motor for a sunroof are non existent to cut weight. Hell, they don't even have sound dampening material other than a thin layer of carpet on the floor for "comfort." Really, when comparing these cars to anything else that's out there on the road here is what I have to say: My car is loud, it makes funny noises, it's not all that comfortable on long trips, it gets horrible gas mileage and I'm sure the people behind me do not enjoy the smell of an uncatted exhaust system, but I'm smiling.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Pros:
AWD
120hp/liter engine
Owners
Aftermarket support
DD / weekend warrior capable
Feedback / NVH
Affordable for blue collar folks

Cons:
Owners
Maintenance
Mileage (plus premium fuel)
Insurance
LEO / street racer attention

As for the interior quality, its based on an entry-level sedan. You need to compare trim to the likes if a Dodge Neon, Chevrolet Cavalier/Cobalt, Ford Focus, etc. As far as I'm concerned, they are fairly similar.

An automobile doesn't create a proper stage for audio. Like with other entry-level models, a way to keep price down is using lower quality audio components. Reducing weight (and indirectly, cost) means less sound deadening material.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'd have to know my history to get the joke.

If you're comparing pros and cons then you can only be objective. Your personal opinion can not have an influence at all on anyone else. Being as this is an enthusiast site, it's going to be impossible to not give your perspective on a vehicle that you love (or hate). On paper, the WRX or STI are definitely not the greatest choice of vehicle out there depending on what you're looking for. You can expect maintenance costs just like any other vehicle out there and you have to look at Subaru's demographic. They aren't catering to people who want the Harmon Kardon 18 speaker 7.2 dolby digital surround sound. The heated leather seats and extra weight of a motor for a sunroof are non existent to cut weight. Hell, they don't even have sound dampening material other than a thin layer of carpet on the floor for "comfort." Really, when comparing these cars to anything else that's out there on the road here is what I have to say: My car is loud, it makes funny noises, it's not all that comfortable on long trips, it gets horrible gas mileage and I'm sure the people behind me do not enjoy the smell of an uncatted exhaust system, but I'm smiling.
Absolutely makes sense, and I appreciate the insights. Thanks!

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I know that there are some things that will be disagreed on, but I would like to note that BMW is a luxury car line, so comparison on creature comforts with most of Subaru's lineup is apples/oranges. Also of note, the other three cars you list, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, and even the Outback are all more expensive cars than the WRX (yes, I know the Outback base model is cheaper than the WRX, but the Impreza, which is what the WRX/STi is based on, and shares general interior materials, is far cheaper).

You mention the STi being more than the Impreza.... In BMW speak, the Impreza is the 318, the WRX is the 335, and the STI is the M3.... is the M3 not vastly more expensive than the 318?

For my personal Cons, there are only a few.... as I was well aware of what I was buying.

1) If you get the 'upgrade' with the Navi system, you loose BT streaming, and you will have to pay $350 to get the media hub to regain the iPod conectivity
2) only the top model, the Limited, comes with HID

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Pros:
AWD
120hp/liter engine
Owners
Aftermarket support
DD / weekend warrior capable
Feedback / NVH
Affordable for blue collar folks

Cons:
Owners
Maintenance
Mileage (plus premium fuel)
Insurance
LEO / street racer attention
Love you put Owners in both columns

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
Love you put Owners in both columns
It's true...

I've met some of my closest friends through the local board. We're a close-knit bunch who are willing to help each other with next to nothing asked in return. It's pretty much a food/beer thing, if at all, but that's simply a courtesy thing, as if I'm working on your car, the least you can do is feed me.

With the decrease in price and those damn Ken Block videos, there's an influx of owners I don't like being associated with.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that there are some things that will be disagreed on, but I would like to note that BMW is a luxury car line, so comparison on creature comforts with most of Subaru's lineup is apples/oranges. Also of note, the other three cars you list, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, and even the Outback are all more expensive cars than the WRX (yes, I know the Outback base model is cheaper than the WRX, but the Impreza, which is what the WRX/STi is based on, and shares general interior materials, is far cheaper).

You mention the STi being more than the Impreza.... In BMW speak, the Impreza is the 318, the WRX is the 335, and the STI is the M3.... is the M3 not vastly more expensive than the 318?

For my personal Cons, there are only a few.... as I was well aware of what I was buying.

1) If you get the 'upgrade' with the Navi system, you loose BT streaming, and you will have to pay $350 to get the media hub to regain the iPod conectivity
2) only the top model, the Limited, comes with HID
To be fair, I'm looking at the STi, and the price I have been quoted was $36.5K, which is more money than either the Pilot, the 4 Runner or the Outback. (The Pilot is a 2008 as is the Outback. The 4 Runner is a 2009, I believe.)

As far as the 318 to M3 (do they even make the 318 any more?) yes, I would say the M3 is expensive. It is a helluva car, but it is expensive.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
This thread really started off on the wrong foot....

OP: were you asking the pro's/cons' on WRX vs STi? or WRX/STi vs other cars? Maybe you could specify what info you're looking for from other members. Are you asking their personal pro's/con's about the car itself or the car vs it's competition?

As stated before, it's all going to be completely subjective. For instance, when I read your list of con's my first initial thought was: :confused1

It's all subjective and personally I don't think that something like this would help someone decide to or to not buy one of these cars.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Here: Compare Vehicles

As Drews pointed out, you'll get nothing unbiased here. See site name for further details.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thread really started off on the wrong foot....

OP: were you asking the pro's/cons' on WRX vs STi? or WRX/STi vs other cars? Maybe you could specify what info you're looking for from other members. Are you asking their personal pro's/con's about the car itself or the car vs it's competition?

As stated before, it's all going to be completely subjective. For instance, when I read your list of con's my first initial thought was: :confused1

It's all subjective and personally I don't think that something like this would help someone decide to or to not buy one of these cars.
Thanks for asking for clarification instead of blasting away. :) This thread really came out of a thread I saw on a Mini Cooper forum a while ago. (I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper S for several years.) Anyway, on this thread people posted what things they liked and disliked about their Mini. It was very interesting because I was able to gather quite a bit of info I wouldn't normally be able to get in one place. For example, I was considering getting the leatherette in the car, because it is very durable, cheaper, etc.... After reading through the thread I saw that MANY people complained about how hot the leatherette got in the summer and how poorly it breathed. That thread definitely caused me to think about my choice again, and I actually went with the leather interior instead of the leatherette. (Turned out to be an excellent choice as the leather was great.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I think that is a great place to go, however, it doesn't quite give "real world" information. For example, it doesn't give any information about options people have had trouble with or aspects of the car that are terrific. Heck, the only reliability issue it even touches upon is the cost of ownership for 5 years, which is very nebulous.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts