ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've come a fair amount of the way tweaking my suspension http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69320 and am in the begining stages of getting started on the power end. This won't be a big hp operation, but rather a pretty mild, by most standards, build up. Low- mid range torque and fast spool up being the key (autox/rallyx/track/grocery getter).

She's bone stock sans a ScoobySport muffler, IC hoses and STi panel filter. I took some delta dash road dyno runs (3rd gear) and ended up w/ (average of four runs-two each direction) 177.4 hp @ 5735 rpms and 184.3 ft lbs @ 3786. Temp was 85 F and elevation 3900 ft. Torque @ 3000 rpms ~ 160 ft lbs.

I did a 3rd gear pull to look at boost/rpm and saw 12 psi @ 3000 rpms, 13.5 psi @ 3200 rpms-> mid 13's thru 5200-> tapered to 10 psi @ 6200-> tapered to 7 psi at redline.

AM was "set" to 16, knock correction looked good:)

Big Sky

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
So what's on tap?

I assume you'll be going catless. Maybe just yank off the silencer in the meantime? :D

By the way, do you have a link/info on the DeltaDash?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
What's in the works BS? I assume standard induction/exhaust mods...but bigger turbo? vf35/29/28? Props to the local suspension/handling guru moving over to the engine performance side of the house :D

~Tim

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delta dash is a great product, very versatile and constantly being upgraded.

http://www.ecutek.com/products/

I'll probably be sticking w/ the stock snail for a bit, if I do upgrade, the 35 will probably get the nod.

I'll probably be leaving the 3rd oem cat in, but the uppipe and downpipe will shortly be swapped.

I was suprised that the STi panel filter was quite different in design/material- it actually looks like it will flow better than oem. I've got a ITG filter that I'll run in the gravel.

Bottom oem vs STi

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
must be fun to get to do things over again...

what parts are you going with? of the engine mods i've done, the only ones i'm totally happy with are my JDM up-pipe, Prodrive axel back, and ECUTEK reflash by I-Speed... still searching for the perfect intermediate pipe and downpipe. (ones that fit perfect and wont leak or rust under the heaviest abuse... maybe I just need to jet hot coat my stock intermediate pipe)

let me know what you come up with. i'm looking for better pieces.

PS. Do you have the Janspeed or Hayward Scott Scooby Sport muffler? I wanna know how the Janspeed ones fit.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you know you've done things too many times when you can grab every wrench you need, start memerorizing torque specs.......:)

Mines a H&S mufler, haven't heard of any fitment problems w/ the Janspeed's- I think the tip sticks out further though.

I've got a STi uppipe too- lost the damn resistor though- got to pick one up.

I'll be going w/ a ScoobySport downpipe, had nothing but good luck w/ them- absolutely no sign of rusting ater three years.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the STi uppipe and ScoobySport downpipe in- I had forgotten how much fun the uppipe install was- especially starting from scratch- cutting manifold heatshield, trimming/fabbing turbo heatshield, etc.:rolleyes:

Without a doubt more power and more power earlier:)

I'm seeing 13.8 psi now at 3000 vs 12 psi and seeing 14.4 @ 3200 vs 13.5, spooling quicker and making a little more boost.

Took some road dyno runs and picked up roughly 16 hp- 193.6 @ 5606 and 16 ft lbs - 200.5 @ 3991 rpms. 171 ft lbws at 3000 rpms vs 160 before.

The intake temp was a little warmer and my AM was at 12 (vs 16- took a run and hit the AC button instead of the defrost:mad: and it dropped the AM by 4 for some reason).

I'll take a couple of more runs this week (w/ the AM set to 16) and compare them.

Also have a RallyPerformance Ecutek ECU to put in this week as well:)

Big Sky

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Sounds like you're making quick work of your engine modifications. How far will you be taking it?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trailboss said:
Sounds like you're making quick work of your engine modifications. How far will you be taking it?
At this point, probably just as far as STX class will allow. After the ECU I'll likley be adding a turbo inlet hose, MAF hose and silencer delete elbow. That's about as far as the rules will allow. Headers are free, but I'm not 100% sold on them over the stock manifolds- as far as low/mid grunt anyways.

BTW just finished w/ a autox and the car felt much stronger- it's nice feeling getting into the throttle hard and getting a very quick response. Ofcourse I got a cel (99.9% sure it's the cat ineffiency one)- I'll pul the code and put an end to it w/ the reflash:) .

My "old friend" turbo whistle is back too:D

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rancid said:
Do you have full exhuast or just DP and axle back?
Down pipe and axle back- you have to install or retain one cat in STX- the 3rd being the least restrictive. Also by retaining the 3rd cat and resonator section, keeps wifey happy- she's a little sensitive to loud exhaust (and it's her daily driver:) )

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I added the RallyPerformance Ecutek reflash this weekend and am quite pleased w/ the results- this isn't a custom tune mind you (that will come later:)). Hp jumped from 194 to 210, torque increased from 200 to 213 ft lbs. I've overlayed the dynos- blue is muffler and filter, red is uppipe/downpipe added, and yellow is reflash added.

Boost is now 15.5 psi @ 3000 rpms vs 13.8 (uppipe/downpipe) vs 12 psi (muffler/filter). 16.7 psi @ 3200 rpms vs 14.4 (up/down) vs 13.5 (muffler/filter).

Not only to you see the obvious power increases, the power is coming on earlier :D ~ 195 ft lbs @ 3000 vs 175 vs 158 no too shabby.

Here's a look at the boost vs rpm w/ the different "stages"- you can see the increse in boost and it's onset earlier as well.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few misc bits

Added a couple more minor bits. Took the silencer out and replaced w/ a elbow- did this w/ my 02 as well. I feel the oem intake path is a good one, just needs a little tweaking/improving/smoothing- the silencer doesn't offer the smoothest path.

I also added a splitter, as the oem one doesn't come w/ one. Based on bug deposition, air is making it almost exclusively to the rear only. This should help distribute the air a little better- making for a cooler IC.

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delta Dash is a great tool, it's interface w/ Ecutek is also a big plus. Just something simple like knowing your AM is very handy. I see folks trying Shiv's reset "trick" and not knowing if they actually are above or below the reset vaue of 8 after doing it. I do the "trick" all the time and have seen it jump up to 16 or drop down as well if you happen to so something it doesn't like, w/ DD there is no guess work.

The road dyno works very well, I dynoed my 02 sedan a couple of years ago and was suprised how very close the road dyno was to my runs on the dyno and very repeatable as well.

I also like the fact that everytime they upgrade the software and add new gizmos- it's always free- doesn't matter how long you've had it.

I've been toying w/ the idea of their new display unit

Big Sky

1 - 20 of 32 Posts