ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1547 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've never thought about this before but i wonder if theres a difference in the strut to hub clearance between the wagon and the sedan. Actually, I bet there is because if you compare the mounting "ears" at the bottom of the strut they are longer on the sedan than on the wagon. This means that the sedan strut may be a bit farther inboard than the wagon strut.

Here is a comparison picture of a v7 STi sedan strut and a v7 STi Wagon Strut. The sedan strut is on the left and the wagon strut is on the right.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
driggity said:
Yes, and I believe that I do have a similar picture of the rear struts on my computer at home. If I do I'll try to post it tonight.
Not saying it doesnt apply to the rear too, just that pick helps explain why people with wagons and sti suspensions(from a sedan) can barely get more then -2 degrees of front camber with camber plates maxed out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice, I really like how that lower arm bar bolts to the frame.
And I'm surprised the sedan/wagon parts are so incompatible :confused:
Interested to see where this goes....

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It does confuse me on how my stock 02 wagon except for sedan rear struts and springs seemed to handle better then other stock wagons:confused: Oh and dont ask how I ended up with that set up.

·
Registered
888 Posts
afpdl said:
Not saying it doesnt apply to the rear too, just that pick helps explain why people with wagons and sti suspensions(from a sedan) can barely get more then -2 degrees of front camber with camber plates maxed out.
Yeah, I originally posted that picture on Nasioc to show that very thing. I'm pretty sure the same issue is present in the rear but it might not be as drastic. With the STi sedan suspension on my wagon I had about -.7 degrees of camber in the rear (with no camber bolts/plates etc.).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm just about ready to start installing my oddball setup, but with Tanabe GF-210 springs on V8 sedan struts...I'm hoping the lowering in combination w/ camber plates will get me right around -2.0 in the front, moreso so I can do it, as I'll probably keep it about -1.5 for now. I'm putting camber bolts in the rear as well, just to gain some control there... I should have some feedback once its installed and aligned in a week or two.

Stil very interested to see what BigSky has in store for a wagon though...might have to copy it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
driggity said:
I've never thought about this before but i wonder if theres a difference in the strut to hub clearance between the wagon and the sedan. Actually, I bet there is because if you compare the mounting "ears" at the bottom of the strut they are longer on the sedan than on the wagon. This means that the sedan strut may be a bit farther inboard than the wagon strut.

Here is a comparison picture of a v7 STi sedan strut and a v7 STi Wagon Strut. The sedan strut is on the left and the wagon strut is on the right.

Or, could it mean that the sedan hubs stick out a little further since it has the fender flares?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the hub and knuckle/spindle are the same part number on the sedan and the wagon. They're just located further out on the sedan.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Drakos- very good comparo pic!

The slightly narrower track of the wagon does make fitment of larger tires more a challenge.

My part selling spree has given me enough $ to get some suspension componenets ordered:D

Mike

21 - 40 of 1547 Posts