ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1547 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you might know- I'm out of my sedan in a new wagon. Unfortuantely almost nothing swapped over from my sedan- struts/control arms/lateral links/etc.

As I've frequently preached I started w/ tires- Pirelli P Zero Nero's (the hi-po's, not the M&S's) 225/50/16 wrapped around Volk TE37's 16X7 (11.1 lbs!:) ).

My next step is dumping the finger thin 17mm rear sway bar for my sedan 20mm rear (one of the few pieces that actually swapped over). I have to wait on sway bushings as the 04 has the "new" HD sway mounts and a different shaped bushing.

This car (like my sedan) will see autox/rallyx/track days and be chief grcoery getter as well.

Stay tuned.

EDIT

Getting to be along thread and have gone through several different setups and was suggested that I put a cliff notes version of where I'm at currently- so here it is :)

CN version at this point

Suspension
Koni inserts in oe wagon strut bodies
STi Tarmac springs (324/274)
RCE front camber plates, Grp N rear tops
camber -3.0 front (-1.5 "winter"), -1.5 rear, toe 0 f/r
WL 27mm adj front sway bar, WL 22mm adj rear sway bar
STi lower arm bar
Grp N transverse link bushings
05 wagon front aluminum lateral links w/ Grp N bushings, 05 wagon front alum converted to rears w/ Grp N bushings
oe trailing links w/ Grp N bushings front/rear
Poltec pillowball sway links front/rear
WL Steering rack bushings
STi front/rear strut bars
Enkei RCT4 17x8 wrapped w/ 235/40/17 Advan Neovas
v7 STi "goldies" 17x7.5 soon to be wrapped w/ winter tires

Aero
05 STi side aero pieces, 06 STi rear diffuser ala Cusco rear brace, jdm STi tranny cover

Brakes
FHI 4/2 pots w/ DBA 5000 rotors front/4000 rears
Goodridge coated ss lines
Motul RBF fluid
Ferodo DS2500's front/rear DS3000's front track days
DIY brake ducting and deflectors
MRT master cylinder brace
Big Sky

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am very excited to follow your upgrade path, as I have an 04 wagon. I have changed out the sway bar for an 02 20mm sedan bar...Overall improvement. I have left my stock tires on as my training wheels to learn my car, that is my first mod, learning how to drive it.

Enjoy.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STi lower arm bar- these wouldn't be the order in which I'd reccomend mods- just parts that happen to fit the wagon from my sedan:)

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Are you going to be taking the same approximate route with the wagon, or are you going to try a different approach this time?

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
How do you like those Pirellis? I know you've tried a number of different tires...how do these compare to previous tires you've used?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be taking a similar approach- same needs and I was pleased w/ the results last time around. A balancing act for sure. Gravel and tarmac can have very different demands.

The Pirelli's are awesome- compare very favorably w/ both the T1S's and S03's. Unfortunately they no longer make them in 225/50/16's- can get thme in the ver popular 19" sizes:rolleyes: I'll probably try the Pilot Sports next (probably next year).

Only the coolest guys are driving the wagons aren't they;)

I'm afraid the big Kumho's are out- 3 month wait on the wheels, mounted the Kuhmos, heat cycled them and never even got to run them:( .

They're in the private for sale at a steal. Back to STX for this year.

Big Sky

·
13,353 Posts
Nice...how are they in terms of giving feedback to you on when they're about to break loose? :)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verdugo said:
Nice...how are they in terms of giving feedback to you on when they're about to break loose? :)
Feedback is fair- the T1's and S03's were better in that respect. The T1's were the lightest, Pirelli's next. S03's had the stiffest sidewall, T1 the least. Pirelli's have the best dry grip, T1's the least. T1's were best in standing water, Pirelli's the least. All about even on wet (non standing). T1's and Pirellis same price (close), S03's more expensive.

These are relative to just these tires- all I'd highly reccomend as a top notch wet/dry hi po tire.

Fitment of the 245's are close, but not close enough. With the suspension good and loaded I'd be rubbing. They were actually pretty close w/ the sedan- I think you'd have difficulty fitting larger- unless you just drove them up and down the street or for a show. Too bad - I had really been wanting to run that setup.

Mike

·
13,353 Posts
Great, thanks Mike! I really respect your opinion so I appreciate it quite a bit! :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:

Fitment of the 245's are close, but not close enough. With the suspension good and loaded I'd be rubbing. They were actually pretty close w/ the sedan- I think you'd have difficulty fitting larger- unless you just drove them up and down the street or for a show. Too bad - I had really been wanting to run that setup.

Mike
Didnt want to roll the rear fender? Takes about an hour. A sedan will fit 255 victos back there with no fender modifications.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not adversed to rolling the fenders, inboard clearance is razor close- close enough I'm not real comfortable. Didn't know 255's would fit that readily- my 245's (every tire will be a little different in width) were pretty close IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I know tires vary in size thats why I said 255 victo they have been fitting on AS stis without any problem. I have 245 azenis on the car now that are wider then 245 victos probably about the same as the 255s and have enough inboard clearance to not rub anything. Maybe a very small spacer would do the job. What offset are the wheels?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hmm Im surprized you are to close inward with +45s. Maybe I just have higher tolerances for clearance, if it rolls and doesnt rub anything Im happy with it :D I havent had any experiance with the wheel deflecting enough to rub the strut, only had issues with outer fender clearance.

Of course theres always the camber plates to add negative camber and then camber bolts to add positive camber to net you some more strut-tire clearance with the same rear camber setting.

1 - 20 of 1547 Posts
About this Discussion
1.5K Replies
140 Participants
eldercaddy
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing