ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im picking up a blob eye on tuesday its bone stock black on black heated recaros fully loaded clean title for $1000. The catch is its an automatic and the motor is seized. The guy im getting it from said the motor is seized and it won't separate from the trans if i was gonna try to swap the motor. He hasnt tried its just what he told me. Is there any truth to this? I plan on pulling the motor and trans together regardless will i have an issue separating the 2? He also has a 9-2x aero he hit a dear with so he's willing to sell that to me for parts or repair its really not bad damage. I was thinking swapping the whole powertrain motor to diff from the aero to the blob but seen a write up that scared me away. Saying something about keys and park sensor or gear selector issue and some wiring issues. Enough rambling so basically
1. Will i have an issue pulling the seized motor off the auto trans?
2. Has anyone done the manual swap and has a better write up.
3. If i completely gutted this saab will all the parts work with the blob for a clean swap, ie. Motor trans axles hubs wiring harness ecu etc. Im willing to pull body harnesses and everything.
Any help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far ive got the dash out and most of the harness out of the engine bay. Things are coming along nicely. Once i get everything gutted im gonna fix some rust paint some stuff then i get to strip out the parts car. Nothing well get me more familiar with the car then this i guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So come to find out the motor isn't seized it was just stuck from being exposed to the elements after the battery and some wires caught fire due to a shitty system install by the original owner. I'm going with a complete auto to 5 speed swap swapping everything from the dash to the bulkhead wiring harness the motor and the 5 speed trans, diff, axles etc.

·
BooSTIng
2,676 Posts
Looks like you are taking on quite the project sir. Good luck! I do want to ask though, why not just spend the extra cash up front and get an STi transmission? It is a direct bolt on to the engine. If you ever want to make anything north of 350whp one day, you will regret putting in a 5 speed from a wrx. The money you would have in building a 5 speed to take the power of the STi tranny would be more than just buying the 6 speed from the get go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got 2 cars in a package deal i also have a bugeye i daily drive i plan on 6 speed swapping first. My bugeye is my baby this car is my winter project. Ill have maybe 3grand into the blob eye when all said and done. Ive wanted a car i could slowly build for a long time and finally have the chance. But thanks its a lot of work and a lot of cuss words and blood lol.

·
BooSTIng
2,676 Posts
Oh I know the feeling. I would be rich if I had a swear jar and 1 dollar bills for every cuss word I have used while working on my cars. And my fair share of blood and sweat. Always worth it in the end when you successfully finish an install or repair. Be sure to keep up updated on the progress. Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im having trouble removing the hvac system ive undone the engine bay heater core and ac lines and pushed them in the cabin some. Is it the ducts under the carpet holding me up? Regardless im done for the night gonna remove the seats and carpet tomorrow.

Attachments

·
BooSTIng
2,676 Posts
I know there are vents that run under the carpet and driver and passenger seats for the feet of the rear passengers. I would bet that is what is holding you up.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the harness out wasn't to bad a lot of curse words and cut fingers but i plugged along or unplugged along lol. Broke down and bought a little clip remover for those hard to reach clips gives me an excuse to add a tool to the collection. Got to yank this motor and trans out and do some very minor rust repair where the fire was and a little on the lower rad support and one spot starting on the rear quarter. This car is remarkably rust free im excited to start the rebuild. But for now more gutting and cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't do much but had to feed the brain before bed and give it a task; so i rebuilt the headlights. I did a amber delete and a little paint. The original owner had already opened the drivers headlight and broken it so i repaired it removed the ambers and filled in one of the obvious holes from the amber mounting point. I then used a little heat and elbow grease and got the drivers light to look a lot less burnt and yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Painted some trim pieces today i hate plastic so i made sure to use adhesions promoter and wax and grease remover. Im super happy i hate the two tone grey and black. The grey looks so filthy, next will be my o shit handles and headliner.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,420 Posts
That’s impressive what you did to the sunroof cover and headliner. Did you have previous experience with those materials? The headliner must be quite porous, right? Nice job!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,420 Posts
That’s impressive what you did to the sunroof cover and headliner. Did you have previous experience with those materials? The headliner must be quite porous, right? Nice job!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive used fabric paint before but never on a headliner. It took a lot of patience and clean even coats. About 2 cans. And a whole can on the sun visors. Im mad the paint bled underneath the warning sticker on the visors on the edges, so if i can find a replacement im gonna but if not ill paint them i thought about having custom ones printed up. Im in the process of putting it all together right now. Im looking for black seat belts because i dont want to paint them due to constant abuse. So they'll be grey for now lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts