ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive been in welding at college for a week. i have taken 2 tests so far 1 MIG and one TIG i got 19/20 on my tig and i missed a few on mig becuase i was confused on something. I start accual TIG welding tommorw. Its been really good and ive already learned more in this week in college, then i have at highschool the whole year. Im really loving it and just thought i would share it with you guys ;)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im being tought by a VERY good welder. after this semester im taking the welding qualification test in MIG ,TIG, and if i get done stick. then i will be certified in them. If i decide im going to continue and keep going for more qualifications. their are around 36 hehe

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i signed up for welding this fall semester too. im taking my core classes right now to get them out of the way though. what are you taking? just the welding and nothing else? i have professional speaking, 4 math classes (cuz i suck...) and phycology of the workplace. and the math is after my welding class which starts june (2nd quarter) only 2 more years then i can stop worrying about school and try out for arena football.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we just learned the oxycetalyn yesterday :) now i learned it all in depth except stick. and now its just pratice and projects for a year to become and have GOOD welds speaking of welding im off to class now lol bye

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah, see, I never welded anything cool like that jibco, I learned it in college for a 3-d raw materials art class. We worked with welders and air tools for metal, stone and wood. Metal was my fav.

~myke

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't know how to weld, but I am going to hijack this thread... I know how to machine parts... I'm taking a machine shop class right now and it's f***** awesome...:D After this year I will be able to make some really kool engine parts or whatever I want to...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What do you use each type of welder for (MIG, TIG, Stick, etc)? I've used my Dad's MIG welder before on a few projects, but I'm not what you would call "good" at it. :)

Do you use the different types of welders for different materials/thicknesses? What can a TIG welder do that a MIG welder can't? I've seen some TIG welds before and, in my opinion, they generally look cleaner than MIG welds. Is that the only difference?

:confused:

Remember, there are no stupid questions... Only stupid people that ask them. :wiggles:

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
awww shucks, My little girls all grown up now!

I may have people over friday while doing work if you wanna stop on by.

WRXTwiztid said:
Well ive been in welding at college for a week. i have taken 2 tests so far 1 MIG and one TIG i got 19/20 on my tig and i missed a few on mig becuase i was confused on something. I start accual TIG welding tommorw. Its been really good and ive already learned more in this week in college, then i have at highschool the whole year. Im really loving it and just thought i would share it with you guys ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Fixxxer said:
What do you use each type of welder for (MIG, TIG, Stick, etc)? I've used my Dad's MIG welder before on a few projects, but I'm not what you would call "good" at it. :)

Do you use the different types of welders for different materials/thicknesses? What can a TIG welder do that a MIG welder can't? I've seen some TIG welds before and, in my opinion, they generally look cleaner than MIG welds. Is that the only difference?

:confused:

Remember, there are no stupid questions... Only stupid people that ask them. :wiggles:
Most of it's just situational. I don't mess with stick, to me, that is for use in ship yards...

The MIG is super easy, doesn't look good, but should hold....
The TIG is a bit more time consuming, looks better, and is usually the stronger of the two if done properly, with the correct settings.

It's just a trade off of time, strength, and appearance...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts