• Cobb Stage II

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done enough in the suspension department for a bit and after hearing another WRX with an exhaust on it, I'm looking into the same thing. I also want to get a packaged deal and I've narrowed them down to two companies, Prodrive and Cobb (Never expected those two, EH?! I'M FRIGGIN' RANDOM!). So, if anyone could please help me with some opinions, it would be hugely appreciated.

The two most important things are keeping everything safe and reliable, as if it were still stock and have a nice and relatively quiet sound to it.

Cobb has the advantage on power and price, and the AP is nice and flexable. I would be going with Stage II on this.

Prodrive has the name and instills a (possibly false) sense of it being safer than Cobb (which is the most important thing to me). Also, the exhaust seems to be more at what I'm looking for. For right now, I'd go with the Stage II, and upgrade to Stage II down the road.

Thanks for any advice!

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
I'd personally go with Cobb. I've heard that you don't get very significant power gains from Prodrive's packages. You pay a pretty penny for them too.

Cobb seems to be safe from what I hear. And even if you do go with Cobb, you can still get a Prodrive Axleback exhaust combined with maybe a TurboXS Stealthback.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
There was some controversy about one of Prodrive's tuning stages a while back; apparently it had a very spikey torque curve, and didn't deliver the power it promised. I think KanosWRX had it for a while. Don't know much more about it.

I've had great success with Cobb; I've run Stage 1, 2, and now VF34 reflashes. Their Stage 2 is excellent, and I've had great customer service from them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here are a few suggestions:

A turboXS stealthback makes for real nice power gains, but it is loud. I have it mated up to a prodrive muffler. The muffler is nice, but the turbo whistle may annoy you. It comes from the downpipe because the pipe is paper thin. The prodrive muffler is the nicest sounding on the market imo. But I like quiet and really dont like any sort of mod that screams "look at me".

Secondly, you say you are going to go to stage two and then beyond. Because of that I wouldnt choose either of those two companies, but if you are dead set on one or the other I would choose Cobb because they will be coming out with a stage 3 map.

I think if you purchase parts on your own after a little research you will be happier with the results. The packages are expensive for what you get.

My two cents.

Rob

·
48,699 Posts
dosage0 said:
Secondly, you say you are going to go to stage two and then beyond. Because of that I wouldnt choose either of those two companies, but if you are dead set on one or the other I would choose Cobb because they will be coming out with a stage 3 map.
Just a side note: Sometime before the end of the decade, Cobb will also have their AccessTuner product out, for those that want a UTEC alternative.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the response guys.

While I'm not totally ruling it out, I don't think the Rex will see a VF34 in it's lifetime. Even though it might be very silly, I'm aiming for something that'll compete with the Evolution on an autocross course. It seems with Cobb's Stage II I'll be just as fast, and then adding an up-pipe should hopefully add a bit more horsepower, but I'm mainly looking more for the quicker turbo spooling. As for the suspension part of it, well thats another section of ClubWRX so we'll not get into it here.

But I imagine a Prodrive Axle back will find its way onto my car. Another thing to think of is RalliSpec is selling STi Spec C takeoff mufflers, anyone ever hear one of those?

·
48,699 Posts
DenverWRX said:
While I'm not totally ruling it out, I don't think the Rex will see a VF34 in it's lifetime.
Heh, heh. Yeah, I said the same thing for the first year that I owned my car. Check my mod list. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your project. A Stage 2 WRX, (EM + TBE) will be a great all around car! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayfieldsWRX said:
Heh, heh. Yeah, I said the same thing for the first year that I owned my car. Check my mod list. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your project. A Stage 2 WRX, (EM + TBE) will be a great all around car! :)
When I first got the car, I wasn't going to do any mods mainly because I couldn't afford any of them. Then I got a promotion... Promotions suck. :)

Maybe I'll get some other turbo. I'd like something that spools just as fast, but doesn't run out of breath at the end.

Thanks! The plan sounds good in my head and on paper, hopefully it'll be in real life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
chanwahyaoh said:
And even if you do go with Cobb, you can still get a Prodrive Axleback exhaust combined with maybe a TurboXS Stealthback.
This is what I did. I love it.. but if Cobb had a TBE when I started, I might have gone that way. But the Prodrive muffler is so sweet, and I get compliments often. :)

·
48,699 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
but if Cobb had a TBE when I started, I might have gone that way.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hey DenverWRX...I recently purchased a Oval Tip Prodrive muffler and absolutely love it! It purrs when its beneath 3k (quiet with a nice tone) And when you get on it, above 4k, it really roars! IMO a very nice looking, and sounding exhaust that isnt annoyingly loud! btw i dont think you can go wrong with either package.

·
Registered
49 Posts
COBB

Go with Cobb, I've had the Prodrive kit and sold the ECU, my AccessPORT will be here tomorrow and I don't expect to be dissapointed with the stage II map. Hopefully I will be able to post some plots of Prodrive stage II, Cobb stage II and stock (via GTech) once I get done playing with my new toy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: COBB

jtgray_10 said:
Go with Cobb, I've had the Prodrive kit and sold the ECU, my AccessPORT will be here tomorrow and I don't expect to be dissapointed with the stage II map. Hopefully I will be able to post some plots of Prodrive stage II, Cobb stage II and stock (via GTech) once I get done playing with my new toy.
nice car in the avatar jt. looks just like mine only mines the 04 - you got MUCH nicer wheels tho

And it seems that cobb is the way to go. I was considering prodrive mainly cause I am a huge rally fan but cobb seems to have a much better price to performance ratio

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the props Cliff.

The prodrive hardware is nice, I love my axle back, it is just expensive, and the Prodrive quasi ECUTek flash is not a deal. It's not a bad map, but the fact that you don't get a ECUTek licesne just baffles me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Accessport, stage II is where its at. stock injectors, stock fuel economy, and no lag, not to mention almost 50whp over stock

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
MidnightFLAT4 said:
Accessport, stage II is where its at. stock injectors, stock fuel economy, and no lag, not to mention almost 50whp over stock
I agree. And if you add a bigger turbo (or should I say WHEN you add a bigger turbo...) it's plug and play. Combine that with a Prodrive muffler, and you'll be a happy camper.
Prodrive axleback is the best sounding one on the market, hands down. That's not my opinion either, that's cold hard FACT ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts