ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying some Prodrive P1's from a guy I work with for my 2003 WRX and he told me that the wheels came with a note saying that you should only use OEM Subaru lug nuts with those wheels. I was thinking about getting some McGard spline drive nuts and am worried this will cause a problem. Does anyone know the whole story here and what I should be cautious of? I would like to have some locking feature, so I guess I could always get Subaru locking lugs, but I was hoping to get some black lug nuts, as I think they would go better with the Antracite wheels.

Thanks for any info!
Jeff

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I don't think you need to use Subaru lugnuts. They probably are just saying the subaru size is the recommended one as some lugs might be bigger and not fit in the hole, although most aftermarkets are smaller the oem ones.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
*bump*

I'm bumping this from July cause I need to know the same thing and I would like to see waht others have to say if possible.

I just recently picked up a set of P1's as well and I have the OEM nuts on there. The Site says that "All wheels use the vehicles original equipment wheel nuts." as previously posted by jvic.

I emailed Anthony Mauro of mauromotorsports and he replyed, "You can use stock lugs, but I do not recommend it. The tapering of aftermarket lugs is a safer way to mount any aftermarket wheels on a car. The stock lugs WILL work, however the safest way is with aftermarket. This is why I said you need aftermarket lugs. Better safe then sorry."

Now, i don't know what is better for the rims, i am not usure if the P1's are tapered or not to fit the aftermarket lugs.

Please help me shed light on this and tell me what is correct?

Thank you all

~myke

·
Registered
377 Posts
mykedude said:
The Site says that "All wheels use the vehicles original equipment wheel nuts." as previously posted by jvic.
I read that as: "you can use the OEM wheel-nuts if you like, you don't have to buy new ones".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts