ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else shuts off all the stuff / closes everything before they exit there car?

I turn off the radio, the A/C, closes all the windows to the top, close the moonroof, pull the e-brake and put it into first gear.

Does anyone else go through this set up?

Also is there any effect on turning off your radio/AC before you leave? If there isn't I think I would stop doing it.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i always shut off my A/C, pull the ebrake, & put it into first gear [or reverse if i'm on a downward incline]

of course if im out somewhere, i'll roll up the windows. if i'm at home [in the garage] it doesnt matter

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I usually pull the e-brake,put it in first or if I am on a hill & facing down I put it in reverse and turn the wheels to the appropriate direction. Always roil up the windows,even in the garage.

Also switch off the radio & a/c before I leave the car.Just a habit.I haven't put much thought into it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i always shut off my A/C, pull the ebrake, & put it into first gear [or reverse if i'm on a downward incline]

of course if im out somewhere, i'll roll up the windows. if i'm at home [in the garage] it doesnt matter
ive always been taught put it in reverse always as its the strongest gear.. whats the validity of this and what exactly is leaving it in gear doing to help out your ebrake ?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
ive always been taught put it in reverse always as its the strongest gear.. whats the validity of this and what exactly is leaving it in gear doing to help out your ebrake ?
Whether or not it is the strongest, it is typically the shortest gear in the gearbox. I think this will limit the potential for the car rolling off somewhere quickly. Leaving it in gear is double safety. Sometimes it is advisable to only use the gear, not the hand brake. Picture very wet cold weather where water can freeze overnight. It is said the brake cable may seize up in this case, and it's best to only use a gear and not the brake when parking.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else shuts off all the stuff / closes everything before they exit there car?

I turn off the radio, the A/C, closes all the windows to the top, close the moonroof, pull the e-brake and put it into first gear.

Does anyone else go through this set up?

Also is there any effect on turning off your radio/AC before you leave? If there isn't I think I would stop doing it.
I have almost the same routine.

Windows up, lights off, radio to volume setting 5 in my 2002 WRX, setting 20 in my 2009 WRX, radio off, climate controls off, temp dial set to 75 in 2009 WRX.

It's nice to know that other WRX owners have some OCD with their shutdown procedure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thats great to hear. Ever since I saw my oldest cousin do it to her TSX, I just picked it up with my 04 Corolla and now my brand new 11 WRX.

Just a side question, Sometimes after shutting down the radio (which is left on my ipod setting) when I turn it back on, sometimes the wrx doesn't recognize the ipod is plugged in so I have to unplug the usb and re plug it back in. This doesn't happen all the time but it is a bit of an annoyance. Anyone else have this or know the root of the problem here?

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I turn everything off. I also turn the AC off and open up the recirculation vent (if I had it closed) with the fan still on a mile or two from my destination. I think this helps prevent mold and mildew in the the HVAC system as it equalizes the temps and humidity prior to shutdown with ambient air.

I've had cars in the past that developed a moldy funk in the HVAC. Since the HVAC purge above I have had none of it. :)

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You are aware that everything shuts off when you turn the ignition switch to the "off" position right?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I roll windows up and turn the actual AC off, also leave it in 1st even though i'm parked on flat ground 90% of the time. as for the radio i just turn it down so its not loud when I get into the car next.

It also doesnt get too cold in San Diego so no worries on brake cable seizing up.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
When out/at work i leave the windows cracked, I have the window visors and keep the windows still about the bottoms of them (only if its hot out). At home, windows up.

Other than that, radio low, a/c off, 1st (or reverse) and ebrake

·
Registered
750 Posts
I usually shut all the windows, shut the moonroof, parking brake on, shut the engine off, set the car in first gear, put sunshade up, leave and lock the doors.

I don't usually turn the AC off and/or radio. I have a 2011 so it has "auto" climate controls. I just let it do its thing. As for the radio. It shuts itself of with the key.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This^^ What is wrong with you people??
Obviously it all shuts off with the key out but I have always heard starting your car with the AC on just adds extra load upon start up. It may or may not effect anything but its not that much effort to turn it off when i park.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
Obviously it all shuts off with the key out but I have always heard starting your car with the AC on just adds extra load upon start up. It may or may not effect anything but its not that much effort to turn it off when i park.
I never thought about the extra load, but if I'm using the a/c its usually bc its really hot out so i dont like getting into an already hot car and getting blasted with hot air

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just lower the volume so its not too loud when I start the car back up... Also I roll up my windows so no one tries reaching in for anything... Parking break so it won't move... 1st gear in case my breaks suck... And everything else should turn off on it's own so I wouldn't worry about doing all that extra stuff

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I posed this question mainly to see if anyone knew if it was bad to have the AC and/or the radio on when turning the car back on. If doing this will slightly (even by a couple of days) make the car last longer than by all means I'll keep doing it. But I just don't know so I shall continue to turn everything off. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts