Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 3 months ago, I built my own custom computer (it was royal pain to build it). Yesterday I fired it up and the computer turned on, but nothing happened (the screen stayed blank). At first I thought someone had messed with the monitor settings, but everything was normal. I think it might be my HD (Western Digital 80 GB). Any insights or suggestions as to what to do?:confused:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do you hear any beeps from the motherboard? You should if the video card is not detected, which can usually be solved by re-seating it in the slot. You should also hear beeps for bad/missing memory. If you don't hear ANY beeps within a few seconds of powering on, you may have a problem with your motherboard, processor, and/or power supply. In any case, any additional information would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Does it do the normal beep after post and act fine but no video? Is the monitor plugged into the wall and the computer, they have been known to get unplugged by small animals and trolls. Does the light on the monitor change from yeloow to green but still no video?

We can get this fixed

Justin

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Root said:
Does it do the normal beep after post and act fine but no video?
I get the normal beep after initial bootup (I get the memory check and then it beeps). After that, nothing. Very strange. The hard drive will sound like its working, then when the screen goes blank, no sounds. I tried reseating the video card and didn't change anything. I'm using another computer right now :(

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'd check your BIOS to see where the computer is booting from. If you have an OS installed, make sure it's the hard drive. If that doesn't work, try reloading the OS.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the BIOS and it's booting XP from the hard drive. Problem is, the hard drive doesn't seem to be working (or reading correctly). Is there anyway that I can check to see if my hard drive is working properly?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
hmmmm....

new question....has the computer worked before or is this the first time you tried to start it up?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been using the computer regularly for the last 2 months. I've had problems with it before, the video card would lock up while I play games, etc. But nothing this extreme.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If there was truly a hard-drive problem you'd get a "non-system disk" error or worse...

There are no error messages? The system just stops?

Can you boot from a start-up disk on floppy and access the drive?

Try using the Windows XP CD to boot from and go into the recovery console...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
you can check the hard drive by plugging it into the computer you're using right now and setting it as the master drive so the computer boots XP from it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Something annoying about BIOS' is that if you accidently setup two drives on the same ide channel both as master the system halts when it checks the drives. Now with that said I have had a 20g Western do that and it was the only thing on the IDE channel. Basicly the drive died and somehow the circut board didnt register it correctly to the BIOs and it would halt. try another drive if you can.

Justin

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is2scooby said:
If there was truly a hard-drive problem you'd get a "non-system disk" error or worse...

There are no error messages? The system just stops?

Can you boot from a start-up disk on floppy and access the drive?

Try using the Windows XP CD to boot from and go into the recovery console...
Nope, don't get any error messages. The system just stops.

I'll try and see if booting off of the Win XP CD does anything.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm actually leaning towards the hard drive because shouldn't the screen never even show anything if it was a video card problem? I hate having to use stupid school computers to check stuff on the net:mad: (overrated UCLA computers:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Did you try a boot floppy or the Windows XP CD?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Caster Troy said:
I'm actually leaning towards the hard drive because shouldn't the screen never even show anything if it was a video card problem? I hate having to use stupid school computers to check stuff on the net:mad: (overrated UCLA computers:rolleyes: )
Actually it would show the windows splash screen if it's a bad driver. Windows doesn't actually load the video driver until after the spash screen. This is why I say to try a different card. Then he can get the old driver out and then he can try again fresh. But I'm not real clear on where it blanks out. If it was completely bad, you're right the screen wouldn't show at all, but you would also probably get the no video beep at POST.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The screen blanks out after the RAM check, but before the Windows splash screen (that hasn't come up at all). Maybe my HD just went kaput on me? I really don't want to take my computer to a repair place and get charged up the wazoo for repairs:(

·
Registered
649 Posts
Caster Troy said:
The hard drive will sound like its working, then when the screen goes blank, no sounds

Sorry, I didn't read this part. OS could be bad and it's just hanging at boot. Try booting with XP cd.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
junaitari said:

Sorry, I didn't read this part. OS could be bad and it's just hanging at boot. Try booting with XP cd.
Finally!!! I can use my computer, unfortunately I had to install Win XP again, but at least I have a computer to use. Everything works (knocking on wood and keeping fingers crossed:) )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts