Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll like to get some opinions on the cause, but here's the scenario:
Yesterday, my friend and I installed the Kartboy SS and bushings and afterwards we decided to have some fun. There's a construction site near my place where theres flat dirt roads set up for the dump trucks. These are wide dirt trails generally smooth. We ripped it up cutting the corners hard, drifting, and doing donuts...there was sooo much dust....COOL!

So today, we were on the freeway and whenever I went over 75 mph, the steering wheel started to shake fairly violently (enough so the back seat passenger could see the wheel vibrate). We couldn't figure out why because the car was running fine in all other aspects.

We thought maybe the intakes got clogged w/ dirt, so we gave the WRX a much needed wash. Afterwards, the car ran normal. Not exactly sure what specifically caused the problem. I know a lot of you guys drive in the dirt more frequently, What do you guys think?

dan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You had some dirt packed in the inside of your wheel(s). The dirt threw your wheels off balance and caused the shaking you described. All of the rally cars have a scraper on the inside of the wheels that prevents any dirt from getting clogged in there. You may want to look into making one for your car if you will be going off road a lot. That or wash it before before driving on the road again paying special attention to the wheels.

Alin

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas,

Now that I think of it, I do remmeber a lot of dirt coming out of the wheels when I washed. I guess I expected the whole car to vibrate, rather than just the steering wheel...it just freaked me out cause of the Kartboy install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
QuickSilver said:
Thanks for the replies fellas,

Now that I think of it, I do remmeber a lot of dirt coming out of the wheels when I washed. I guess I expected the whole car to vibrate, rather than just the steering wheel...it just freaked me out cause of the Kartboy install.
Mud is a lot more damaging when dried than you might think. If there was mud out there, also check your driveshafts.

My Jeep had a buildup of mud I didn't clean off (because, jeez, I didn't think of checking that...) and now the rear seal on the transfer case is shot from the out-of-balance driveshaft wobbling. Gear oil is everywhere underneath.

Anyway, just a friendly heads-up in case anybody else goes muddin'.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How's your Kartboy shifter? Next on your list you should try a clutch stop :)

-Matt

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
vizor said:

Mud is a lot more damaging when dried than you might think. If there was mud out there, also check your driveshafts.

My Jeep had a buildup of mud I didn't clean off (because, jeez, I didn't think of checking that...) and now the rear seal on the transfer case is shot from the out-of-balance driveshaft wobbling. Gear oil is everywhere underneath.

Anyway, just a friendly heads-up in case anybody else goes muddin'.
Thats a lot of mud! I can't imagine getting that much mud onto our driveshaft, especially enough that would stick to it while spinning. The driveshaft is pretty far up under the car, and I would imagine that it is spinning fast enough to keep a lot of the mud from sticking. I think a Jeep would be different, because you are travelling at lower speeds and slower driveshaft rotation, possibly even stopping. I usually have 1/4" or so of mud on some parts of the underside of my car after I'm in the dirt. Hopefully my new flaps that I'm making will help that out so I have to worry even less about the undersides/rock chips.

-J

·
Registered
15 Posts
thechickencow said:
... The driveshaft is pretty far up under the car, and I would imagine that it is spinning fast enough to keep a lot of hte mud from sticking. I think a Jeep would be different, because you are travelling at lower speeds and slower driveshaft rotation, possibly even stopping. ...
Good point. And as you know, driving a rs/wrx through mud is *far different* from plunging a jeep into it. Driveshaft speeds would definitely be different. Wheel speeds are different. Vehicle speeds are not.
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts