Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got three dings on my WRX I want removed.

One shallow dent on the passenger door.
One shallow indentation on the trunk lid of my wagon
One BIG "compound" ding RIGHT ON my rear fender where some kid opened his door into my WRX.

So I took my car to get a quote from a professional dent removal guy, you know, the guys who massage the sheet metal from the inside and pop out the dents...

His quote: $120 for all three.

My only hesistation (besides the fact that $120 could go towards an uppipe instead), is that for the fender ding, he needs to DRILL through the top of my rear wheel well to get inside the sheetmetal. (Just to clarify, he doesn't need to drill through any painted surfaces, just through the top of the wheel well). I expressed my concerns that I was bringing this car back up North where there is salt and slush and wasn't comfortable with the idea of holes being drilled through the metal. He claims that he plugs the tiny holes up with so much silicon that rust won't be a problem.

Is this a good idea or not? That fender ding drives me nuts. Will rust ever be a problem? Has anyone else had this done?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know, but $120 sounds like a killer price for that. I need to see if I can find a place like that around here. I have one door mark/ding that bugs me. It isn't really a ding, and you have to angle yourself in the light to see it, but it bugs me. Not sure if they could do anything with it or not, but if they could it would be worth $120!

VV

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I owned my MR2, I took it to the factory to fix it, while it was there they dented the right door, well, in order to fix it, they had to drill threw the inside of the door and sorta "push" the dent back out.... which is what is sounds like they are doing here... they filled it with something and you could really not even tell it was there anymore, unless you were really really looking for it. I would not be so worried, and hell, for a 120$ that is a killer price, I would go for it.:)

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
get a second opinion...don't know how bad the dents are....get a second estimate from another shop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You will be fine.

The drilling is really no big deal. Most places will silicone it then put a rubber grommet in place of the hole to cover it. I had one on my hood when I got it and they had to go through a small portion on the bottoms side to reach it. No biggie. $120 for three dents is good. And believe me. I'd take paintless dent removal any day of the week over most shops ou there. You run less of a risk of mismatched paint or imperfections. Most of the time if the dent removal person is good enough you won't even be able to find it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mission accomplished

Well, the guy just finished working on the car. It took him an hour and a half and all three dents are GONE. Simply amazing.

He didn't need to drill anything either, instead of going through the top of the wheel well he took off the rear light and reached in through there. He said it was the first Impreza he'd worked on (Subaru's are few and far between here in Florida), and thought it was really easy to work on.

Just so y'all know, I definitely recommend paint-less dent repair if you've got dings nagging you. If you are in the Sarasota area give me a call and I'll giv eyou this guy's number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.