ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker backed into my sti last week and it's at the body shop now. The insurance guy calls and tells me that the bumper has already been repaired.:confused: This car had a clean car fax report, and the dealer denied any previous accidents. Do I have any rights? Should I even care? I'm getting a new bumper out of this in exchange for a damaged, patched up bumper that I thought was fine. The point is, I simply feel violated. How could I have possibly known the bumper had bondo on the back of it....

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can see where you would feel violated, but if it was just some bondo on the bumper the dealership very well may have not known about it themselves. I would probably bust out a magnet afterwards and check for any other shotty repairs though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would probably bust out a magnet afterwards
I find it hard to imagine myself purchasing said magnet or performing said act

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's mostly plastic, I don't understand what I'd do with the magnet. I'd like this thread to caution prospective buyers....how to steer clear of hidden damage, without busting out a magnet? I mean, if the dealership says the car has not been in an accident, and it has, why am I liable? Please, no "they don't call em stealerships for nothin" responses.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Isn't the bumper composite?
Polymer actually. But same idea, magnets no worky. And the hood would fail the bondo test being aluminum.

An easy way to check for repairs in the rear is to peel the side panel carpet out of the way and look at the metal in the rear quarters. You may see bondo on the inside or weld marks etc.

Yes it's mostly plastic, I don't understand what I'd do with the magnet. I'd like this thread to caution prospective buyers....how to steer clear of hidden damage, without busting out a magnet? I mean, if the dealership says the car has not been in an accident, and it has, why am I liable? Please, no "they don't call em stealerships for nothin" responses.

The car could have been simply backed into by the previous owners friend/family member and it was taken to a shop outside of insurance and repaired. No big deal. Dealership may not have known.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car could have been simply backed into by the previous owners friend/family member and it was taken to a shop outside of insurance and repaired. No big deal. Dealership may not have known.
Agreed, it's most likely harmless. It's like you see your girlfriend talking to a guy, and all sorts of angry things well up inside, and then it turns out he's gay and they studied together one night.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Agreed, it's most likely harmless. It's like you see your girlfriend talking to a guy, and all sorts of angry things well up inside, and then it turns out he's gay and they studied together one night.
Get that story a lot?

:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Banned
0 Posts
My car has the same deal. Clean Carfax, but extensive damage. Whole back of the car has been cliped. Got a blue door. :baaa::baaa::baaa:
Whole in my hood from a BOV. It never ends really.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
DON'T TRUST CARFAX IMPLICITLY

I had a 2002 Mazda Protege that I was in 4 accidents with. When I traded it in, I checked Carfax and it said the car was clean. I traded it in with a new gauge cluster showing a fraction of the mileage that was on the car(it was accurate for the new engine). I had replaced the engine (first turbo'd automatic protege - a few weeks later, first blown engine in an automatic protege... lol), been in a 5 car pile up, and a few other light damage accidents. Didn't matter to me as I both purchased and traded in the car used "as is".

·
Registered
243 Posts
yea, carfax can't really be trusted. My Accord had bondo in the rear driver's side door and there was nothing on the carfax, and my rear bumper on my wrx has been painted, and again... nothing on the carfax

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
if it's small damage to the bumper cover I wouldn't be overly concerned (not saying you shouldn't be a little pissed- I would be :))- unfortunately there are cars out there floating around w/ major damage to suspension/chassis components that w/o a good four wheel alignment you'd probably never know

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Screw the magnet. A trained eye can spot it all. Next time take a car to a high end body shop to have it inspected before you buy it.

Oh, and Eric...make up your mind. I thought your car was hit in the front?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts