ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny decided to die, so I have a few questions. I need to know how much a stock new or used WRX tranny costs. The guy at the shop who is doing the work on my car has the tranny from an STi, because he is building a rally car for another customer, and they replaced the tranny. He said he could give it to me for around 3 grand, but I'm not sure if its a good deal or not. My dad is pissed about the whole thing, so price / chance of it breaking again / future repair to it is a factor.

-Tom

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
STI 6speed or 5speed?

If it's 6speed it sounds like a good deal (if the price are included all bits and pices to make it fit..)

The 5speed is better than the stock wrx I guess, but it's not all that greate. Then I'll rather find a slightly used stock tranny cheep somewhere.. I found a wrx tranny almost not used for like 1100$. Many rally shops may have them as some uses wrx to build a rally car. Stock wrx tranny is one of many things they may want to change on their rally cars so they often have or know where to get one...

If you get a cheep wrx tranny you can always upgrade the gears. It will cost you more but will be stronger than the 5speed sti (depending on gearset)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Depending on the parts the guy gives you, I don't believe the STI tranny is a direct plug and play for the WRX. Don't we have to include a bunch of electronic stuff to do the swap?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the 6 speed, and the guy has all of the old STi Stuff to go with it .... the previous STi owner went hardcore upgrading his stuff for rally.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
if its the 6 speed and includes everything you actually need for 3 grand.. well first I'd ask a lot of questions as that is extremly cheap.. if it all checks out get it.

If you want a new stock one PM me.. I have one with low miles and no drag passes that's being replaced w/ a beefy one for the future mods... I'll do better on price than the other stocker you were looking at anyway.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yeah, usually places sell the 6mt and then also a kit to put it in the wrx for like 1k or so, so check because you will need extra parts, not just the tranny itself, to make it fit in the WRX. Still, that might be a great price for the tranny itself anyways, even if you have to buy the kit, so I'd check into that if you might want to go that route.

Problem is, you could still afford to break 2 WRX trannies for the cost of the 6mt... :/

-snowcat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts