Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :wave: After years of waiting, I will almost certainly be buying a '17 WRX. Question for those who either own/lease the WRX Premium or Limited....what is the price difference between the Premium with the Harman Kardon option, versus the Limited as is? Is stepping up to Limited a better choice (leather versus no leather is not a deal breaker), and are there things standard on the Limited that I would have to pay for as an option on the Premium? I welcome your feedback and advice; thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

Leather and Harman Kardon sucks. I'd opt for a base model if I were you.

I've been here a while and know a thing or two. Or three.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Most people complain regardless of the radio, I wouldn't factor that into your decision. I would buy a pioneer unit personally.

Look at the options offered in each trim, buy the cheapest that offers what you want. Personally, leather is easier to wipe clean but takes more maintenance than cloth as it will need conditioned from time to time. It is also at a disadvantage in extreme weather. I don't know if you have sat in a leather interior car in the winter but it'll freeze your buns to the seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also debating on Base or Premium do you think the heated seats, wheels, better tuned suspension on the premium is worth a couple more grand? Will begin shopping for one this Tuesday !

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
I'm also debating on Base or Premium do you think the heated seats, wheels, better tuned suspension on the premium is worth a couple more grand? Will begin shopping for one this Tuesday !
You say "better tuned suspension," but RCE has shown that the struts on the base WRX are tuned more aggressively and are significantly better in transitions.

I wouldn't call that better.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I got a premium because I wanted the cold weather package that was standard. I do like the fog lights also but rarely use them. I find I almost never use the moon roof that also came standard on it. I do wish the radio was better but did not think it worth the limited price to get that upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
On occasion I know four.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok I got the 16 premium. WRXs were selling out before they hit the lot at the time and my trade in was not starting on cold days. If I could have I would have waited for a limited. If nothing else I like the black headlights a lot better (don't really care about LED im just not a fan of chrome). I wanted leather too but I've been very happy with the cloth. The price jump to limited actually seems like a good value for the added options (assuming you want all of them) I'm not an audiophile but the base stereo is bad. Upgrading to the kicker optional speakers will help, Harman option will help more, but aftermarket could produce the best results If done well.

The heated seats and mirrors in the premium are worth every penny here in CT however in a warm climate I'd Say go base. The sunroof is kind of nice but A performance purist will say it's deadweight and a loss of headroom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Radio is important to me in the car. I have a Bose system in my car and I love it, and my dad has a Harman Kardon system in his car, and he likes it a lot. And I have heard the standard system is crap. Also, I am on my second car with leather interior so I know how it feels in extreme weather, so I am used to it! Is Harman Kardon significantly better than the standard audio system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When doing my research on the differences in trim, it stated the premium had better tuned suspension what ever that means. Can you attach a link to what you said about the base model's suspension

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Radio is important to me in the car. I have a Bose system in my car and I love it, and my dad has a Harman Kardon system in his car, and he likes it a lot. And I have heard the standard system is crap. Also, I am on my second car with leather interior so I know how it feels in extreme weather, so I am used to it! Is Harman Kardon significantly better than the standard audio system?
Test drive both and see for yourself. Audio quality can be very subjective . I didn't have any complaints about the Harman in a limited I test drove. Not being that into audio I didn't test the stereo in a premium before purchasing. I figured it would be adequate and it wasn't. I upgraded my speakers and it's now OK, maybe still a little worse than the base factory stereo in previous car (R53 mini).

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got a premium--really enjoy the heated seats and mirrors plus like the sunroof. I think it's worth the extra $$. I looked at limiteds as well, but the ones that were available when I was buying had extra add-ons that boosted the price to the $35K arena, which I thought was too much.

I liked the HK system in the cars I test drove and think I could live with it. That said, I have an aftermarket JL system that I'm very happy with. If you can find a car with everything you like but the stereo, it's not a big jump to upgrade with an aftermarket stereo. Using an OEM interface you can even keep the stock headunit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For me the Premium price add was worth it. I HAD to have the sunroof, that was a deal breaker. Heated seats are okay- compared to my Audi A6 with a dial from 0-6, the option of only-Off, Low or High is a bit disappointing, but on a cold day, they are definitely still used. Subaru weather mats are great as they keep most dirt and mud from my drive-way off the carpet, and hose off to clean them. The fog lights are nice- we get a lot of fog here where I live in PNW. The heated mirrors and auto-dim adjustable rear-view mirror are nice too. Not sure if I missed anything, but most of it is used often and well worth it imo.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
Personally if it was me and the prices I see for the limited models I would begin to consider the STI.

·
Æternum
15,538 Posts
Personally if it was me and the prices I see for the limited models I would begin to consider the STI.

... Which I did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
It seems logical to me. Better transmission, center differential, better torque in vacuum and overall HP. Plus you could argue more agressive note although the equal length headers are far more advantageous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts