ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering what the requirments were with premium gas and my Subaru WRX. Is it absolutly madatory I fill my WRX with premium all the time? What will happen if I don't? Can it run on regular gas. Thanks for the help.

-Brett

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
You have to run 91 octane or higher. If you don't, the car will run like utter crap, get sh!t gas milage, etc. Turbo cars have to take premimum... it's a performance car...Pay the extra $2 at the pump for all that horsepower or sell the car immediately and buy a Corolla.;)

It's a small price to pay...

·
Registered
309 Posts
your car will run like crap because it will pull timing / boost. It will sense knock because the higher the octane of the gas the less likely you are to knock under load.

It also wont fix itself immediately once you put back in premium gas. It will take a while of not knocking before the ECU will up the timing and boost back to normal.

If you dont want to run premium gas, there is no reason to buy a turbo'd sportscar. You will just end up with a car that knocks all over the place and runs in basically "limp" mode

Rob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Run premium. If you can find 94 use that. The more octance the better.

Rich

·
Registered
664 Posts
The best gas:

BP 93
Sunoco 94
Sunoco 93
Mobil 93
Shell 93

i wouldnt recommend anything else...

my 2 cents

·
Registered
128 Posts
damm... how cheap can you get? a full tank of piss water 91 octane at $2.35/gallon and the "cheaper" 87 octane at $2.15/gallon... difference of a couple bux? 91 is already pisswater. why would you even want lower...

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only way i'll go lower than 91 octane is if i'm stranded in the middle of no where, and I can't get at least 91.

I go completely out of my way to get 101 octane. My 91 octane map isn't even really tuned, it's just my 101 map with a bunch of boost and timing taken out.

91 is the absolute lowest i would go. Even bone stock.

·
Registered
664 Posts
my mom borrowed the car for a day, back when it was stock. she put 87 in it... good thing i asked... we waited till dads pickup truck needed gas, and spent an hour siphoning the 87 gas out of the wrx, and into the chevy. via 5 gallon bucket and funnel. Now she knows that 87 doesnt cut it.

i quiver at the thought of running a stage II map with 87

·
Registered
128 Posts
MidnightFLAT4 said:
my mom borrowed the car for a day, back when it was stock. she put 87 in it... good thing i asked... we waited till dads pickup truck needed gas, and spent an hour siphoning the 87 gas out of the wrx, and into the chevy. via 5 gallon bucket and funnel. Now she knows that 87 doesnt cut it.

damm chix! "gas is gas. isn't it?"

if i were in your situation, i would have been forced to go buy some race gas or toluene and raise the octane. siphoning sounds like too much work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The best gas:

BP 93
Sunoco 94
Sunoco 93
Mobil 93
Shell 93
What about Chevron 93? With their 'techron' fuel additives. I read in a tuning mag a while ago, where they were interviewing someone from a pretty experienced tuning shop, and he said that Chevron gas will actually make a bit more power than other gasses. I'm sure the difference would be minimal, and most likely not even noticeable. I'd consider it good gas too though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
MidnightFLAT4 said:

I'm dreading the day that my dad will do that. He swears that I dont need to run premium in it and even said that I should just put 91 in it. I am afraid to even let them drive the car if there is any chance they would gas it up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
What about Chevron 93? With their 'techron' fuel additives. I read in a tuning mag a while ago, where they were interviewing someone from a pretty experienced tuning shop, and he said that Chevron gas will actually make a bit more power than other gasses. I'm sure the difference would be minimal, and most likely not even noticeable. I'd consider it good gas too though.
I know of a gas sold at marina's that have an anti knock (additave)agent in it that will raise the octane / antiknock level,,,, it may be the same thing that you are talking about, this gas raises the octane from 89 to 93.... I will try and find the name. The Marina had a brochure on it from the company...

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, its not an octane booster additive. It's still 93 octane, but with additives that help reduce buildup in the engine/clean injectors, valves, etc. Kind of like Shell's "V-Power" I believe.

·
Registered
664 Posts
its all marketing bs... talk of additives... but BP came out on top in chemistry tests... ill try and find it some evidence.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts