ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a bugeye with straight cut PPGs in a 5mt case... im currently running the r160 and stock axels. im putting down 385 whp on a break in tune. i am going to be getting an aggressive tune soon. i know my r160 wont hold up too long after that. i want to get a r180 and all 4 sti axels. my questions are as follows...

will i be able to run the same driveshaft for the r180?
will my wrx hubs work with the sti axles?
will the front sti axels mate to my 5mt box?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTt. Need help

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
i have a bugeye with straight cut PPGs in a 5mt case... im currently running the r160 and stock axels. im putting down 385 whp on a break in tune. i am going to be getting an aggressive tune soon. i know my r160 wont hold up too long after that. i want to get a r180 and all 4 sti axels. my questions are as follows...

will i be able to run the same driveshaft for the r180? no
will my wrx hubs work with the sti axles? no, but can run the wrx outer cv to mate with hub
will the front sti axels mate to my 5mt box? no

thanks in advance

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what all will i need to run a r180 in my 02?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Custom driveline, R180, STi rear axles, 04 STi rear hubs, 04 STi rear calipers, kartboy??adapters. I think it's kartboy that makes the rear brake swap adapters

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm thats a little more involed then i was hoping for, what are my options for making the rear more reliable? thats really the weak point in my set up, although i will not be dragging or autoxing

·
Registered
262 Posts
for the front axles i think the forester xt 5 spd had some beefy front axles
for the rear axles with the r180 either do sti hubs, frankenstein the wrx and sti axles together, or i think i read at some point the spec b(with 6 speed) used axles in the back that fit into wrx like hubs but it has the r180? not sure though

as for the driveshaft why cant he run the stock one? i though the only issue with 6 spd swaps was the length due to the longer trans, the diff is no longer just wider

and are you makin 385whp on a vf 39?????

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I just bought an 02 with a built 2.5 and ppg tranny... That car in my signature is my DD. Does anyone know how much whp my 02 drivetrain will be able to handle. I dont launch, auto x , drag etc. I just want to have the piece of mind that my set up is stout.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's no magical figure of what it can handle. Some people have different experiences than others too in terms of no issues, and others find the drivetrains don't hold up.

Do you have pictures of both cars? Especially a bigger one of the engine bay in your avatar?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really have any good pics of my 04 (avatar pic) its sad I know. I'll work on getting pics of both. What type of fluid should I use for the tranny ( ppg)? It has redline LW shock proof right now and it feels very rough to get in gear. Also would upgraded tranny mount help at all?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd use the Subaru OEM fluid. Upgraded tranny mounts will always result is a more positive feel when changing gears, but at the same time, combine that with straight cut gears and a short shifter and it may feel a bit notchy and too mechanical.

·
Registered
262 Posts

r180 on left with 2 r160's look the same length to me

try extra s in your trans or maybe motul 300? (have heard good things)... does it not already have an upgraded trans mount? thats the kinda thing you'd expect a built trans to have
either way sounds like a pretty awesome car!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it doesn't have an upgraded tranny mount. I will have to put that on my list among many other things lol. The car is great just really hard to get into gear sometimes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts