Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post here and could use some advice on a weird power loss issue I had today. I purchased my first 2018 WRX back in December and haven't had plans to do any aftermarket upgrades yet on it. Car is used for a daily driver and I commute about 80 miles a day. I recently got my oil changed and knew my air filter was pretty dirty so I decided to get an aftermarket AEM DryFlow panel filter for a little extra air flow (maybe my first mistake). I searched and searched and found conflicting advice on adding an aftermarket panel air filter to WRX's, but decided to go for it anyways. My thought was that I could get a reusable air filter and maybe gain a tiny bit of power in the process.

As as I started to put the new AEM panel filter in, it did not seem to fit as well as the OEM. I pretty much had to force it into place, but it eventually went in. I did not do an ECU reset after installing it because per AEM, they said that was not necessary (maybe my second mistake). I had been driving the car for about 3 days with the filter in and had no issues and really the only thing I noticed was the neat sound from the air sucking into the filter. haha. I'm a pretty modest driver and never bring the car to redline or go high on the boost. Well today while driving it, I was on the freeway going about 75mph and as I tried to accelerate the car didn't do anything. It seemed like I was running out a gas. The car kept losing power and would not do a thing when I pressed on the gas, other than the RPM's going up slightly, but the car wasnt accelerating. I quickly pulled all the way over to the side and as soon as I pulled off and stopped the car lost all power and turned off on its own. Tried to turn it on again and it turned on and then quickly the RPM's went all the back down to 0 and then the car shut off. I left the car off for a few minutes and then tried it again, it turned on and it stayed on and I was able to drive home. I immediately thought it had to do something with the new filter I put in and maybe the MAF sensor not liking the filter.

As soon as I got home I re-installed the OEM filter and will most likely just buy another clean OEM filter and use that from now on. I'm wondering now if I should reset the ECU to get rid of any information the AEM filter would have programmed the ECU. Or did I not have it in for long enough? Will reseting the ECU so it can relearn the OEM filter again even matter?

I am going to take the car to my local dealership tomorrow to make sure nothing else is wrong, but I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
11,147 Posts
It shouldn't matter. I'd guess you knocked the maf wiring loose or created a massive vacuum leak

1 - 2 of 2 Posts