Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the weight and power distribution of an 03 Wrx Wagon? I saw a while back that the power was pretty even, but I cant remember what it was. I'm trying to take both weight and power into consideration while looking for sway bars.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Power distribution with the viscous coupling center diff is 50/50.

As far as weight distribution, the engine sits entirely in front of the front axles, so all the weight is basically in the nose.. that's why they have so much understeer.

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts
60% front/ 40% rear for sedan
59% front/ 41% rear for wagon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts
Power distribution with the viscous coupling center diff is 50/50.

As far as weight distribution, the engine sits entirely in front of the front axles, so all the weight is basically in the nose.. that's why they have so much understeer.
True, you can't beat physics. Still, much of the understeer comes from super conservative factory alignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts
Just found this for curb weight specs for the wagon.
Front: 1820
Rear: 1335
Basically means 58% front, 42% rear. Much closer to the power distribution than I would have imagined.
I'm confused. You are aware that the power distribution (or torque distribution) is a distinctly different metric from weight distribution?

The torque distribution depends on the amount of traction available. Nominally (if all 4 tires have equal traction), the torque distribution is 50%/50% F/R. Of course, as a corner of the car begins to lose traction, this will vary significantly.

The STI has been through several nominal torque distributions depending on the year.

2004-2006 was 35% front 65% rear
2007-2017 was 41% front 59% rear

The 2018 model lost the Torsen center diff that debuted in 2007, so no word on the new nominal torque distribution. The WRX has always been 50/50.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm confused. You are aware that the power distribution (or torque distribution) is a distinctly different metric from weight distribution?

The torque distribution depends on the amount of traction available. Nominally (if all 4 tires have equal traction), the torque distribution is 50%/50% F/R. Of course, as a corner of the car begins to lose traction, this will vary significantly.

The STI has been through several nominal torque distributions depending on the year.

2004-2006 was 35% front 65% rear
2007-2017 was 41% front 59% rear

The 2018 model lost the Torsen center diff that debuted in 2007, so no word on the new nominal torque distribution. The WRX has always been 50/50.
yeah, I know they're totally different numbers, I was just trying to look deeper into the specs. Now I think you've lost me though

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Just found this for curb weight specs for the wagon.
Front: 1820
Rear: 1335
Basically means 58% front, 42% rear. Much closer to the power distribution than I would have imagined.

That's the weight distribution.. power distribution is still 50/50 regardless of weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts