ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get my intercooler and intercooler pipes powder coated will it effect the effieceny of them in a negative way?

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Probably. Naked aluminum is best.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Depending on the type of powder, some newer coatings are designed to keep heat from getting past it. Meaning it is good to use on items such as manifolds as well as intake pipes.

I buy my powder from a company called NIC- NIC Industries – Leading Manufacturer of Performance Proven Coatings they have a particular powder I used on my manifolds that NASCAR uses on the inside of the wheels, since they started using it they have seen an increase of 20-30 laps out of a set of tires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks torque, so should I ask the guy when he does the pipes if he has such a powder coat? But what about the intercooler? I heard to have the fins taped off and everything should be fine.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Your powder coater should be able to contact NIC, if he doesnt already... Talk with them about that your wanting to do and they will advise of the best solution for you and the powder to go with it.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Just search "thermal disperant coating". Several companies offer it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
powder coat your pipes, never your core. Send your core for anodizing , thermal disperant coating, or use radiator paint. There was a customer with a APS dr750 in AZ that showed up powder coated at the dyno, it was knock happy and found out that the exiting IC temps were roughly the same going into it. Needless to say, his expensive FMIC was a good looking paperweight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts