Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think more about powder coating my stock rims from silver to gold. To anyone with experience, how much can I count on spending for a good job? I've seen a white wagon with gold rims and really like the way i looks. Anyone have any advice? I'm staying with 16" and don't want to change the spoke style at all, so different rims are not up for discussion at this time.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
Koyokid,
here is another way to make Gold wheels :)

Go to Home Despot ;) buy approx 6-8 cans of Rustoleum "Gold Rush Metallic" spray paint I think the code # is 7270....buy 2 cans of Rustoleum Crystal Clear (Clearcoat)

Buy 2 rolls 1" masking tape, 1 roll 2" masking tape.
Buy some of cleaning pads 2 really rough, 2 relative rough, 2 smooth.
Buy some really good spray cleaner.

Right heres the Fun part...make sure you have a Full day to spare

1st. Jack car up and take off wheels :)
2nd.Clean wheels front and back make sure all brake dust and sh*te is off
3rd let wheels dry
4th Once dry Mask of edge of wheel/tire with 1" tape (use little 1-2" long pieces) both front side and back side...then follow around with the 2" tape...
don't forget to mask off the valve stems and wheel weights :)
5. Hopefully you have laid some card down in a breeze/wind free area
take one wheel at a time ....and start painting using the paint instructions
6 After approx 5-6 coats (inbetween every second coat smooth down with very smooth cleaning pad(dry).
7.Do same with back sides of wheel if you want!!
8. Crystal clear coat front side only!!
9. this whole process should take you and a friend about 8-10 hours to do right..

another note: if you can take the tires off you can eliminate the masking off part!!!

Andy...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those look great. How much did it cost you? Now you just need some tint and you'll be straight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That isn't mine, though I have exactly the same setup on my wrblue sedan (with the tint =D). Believe it or not, both the picture and my sedan use a specific gold spray paint from wal mart with a clear coat. Looks awesome to me.

Edit: I realized it said powercoated on my original post. That one is wrong, i messed up on it. They ARE spraypainted. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not bad at all for a spray can paint. The thing is, me and paint never seem to get along. I'm gonna need some encouraging words if I'm going to do this.

What is the brand and color number of this paint? And what clear coat?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
Koyokid....

http://www.sqc-ny.com/member/009/009.htm

these are the stock RS wheels I painted using:

Rustoleum spray paint "Gold Rush Metallic" code # 7270

then finished off the job with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Coat

Total cost approx $70

read my first post on instructions on how to do it :)

It relatively easy ...just time consuming :)

Andy...

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is from Matt (Shiv) whose instructions I followed:

The gold color that matches the STi/RS wheels is made by Plasti-kote which I found in Wal-Mart in the spray paint section. I've only ever seen it it 3oz cans though so you will definitely need 4 cans of it.

The color/part number is: Brass-139S, but trust me, it doesn't give off any "chrome-like" brass shine, it is actually quite dull like the RS wheels. But clear coast helps them look better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just so you know, powder coating is several times harder (more durable) than paint. Go the extra mile, get the powder coat and you'll need have to worry about your wheels getting the paint scratched off.

My $0.02.

-Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
A guy in my town who has a civic (ehh) had his wheels powdercoated. He paid 50$ a wheel. They did a hell of a job, no chips or nothing, months later... I guess if you want it done right, you just gotta find a good/reputable shop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
amethyst said:
A guy in my town who has a civic (ehh) had his wheels powdercoated. He paid 50$ a wheel. They did a hell of a job, no chips or nothing, months later... I guess if you want it done right, you just gotta find a good/reputable shop.
I hope I can find a shop that will powdercoat my wheels for $50 each. That would be great! I really want a professional job, cause I'm very serious, me and paint don't get along at all.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Koyokid,
In the Bay Area, CA, there are a few shops here that will do powder coating for $100 a wheel. Very nice and powder coating is almost bullet proof.

The reason being is that powder coating is a electrostatic coating, similar to chroming a part. So it's a long lasting worthwhile investment in your wheels.

Here's a link:
http://www.powderequip.com/customcoater701-999.html

Good luck

I'm doing this to my own wheels.

-LostLamb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts