Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a WRX so I'd like to ask the best place to look for info on what to look for.

My web research tells me to avoid 2015-16 models. I'm not sure if I want to look at 2017's or not because they're likely to be pricey. I posted here once before and got piled on by a member saying If I have to ask I can't afford to own a wrx. I'm not some kid who flips burgers for a living. I just know that a lot of these cars have had the bollocks thrashed be previous owners. Looking online at cars for sale if I see any extra gauges of parts labeled Cobb, I pass.

I don't drive much as I work from home. I just want something that's a hoot to drive when I do have to go somewhere. I just don't want to buy someone's thrashed out screamer. I'm not against modified parts but I'm very wary of what the owner(s) may have done.

I'd appreciate any honest advice as to what years to looks for and the things to look out for. I don't need to be talked down to though.

· Registered
125 Posts
i have a 2022. the handling is amazing. one of the best handling vehicles i've ever owned. great car! mine is a premium but came with the HK sound ... i think someone special ordered the car then cancelled lol.

-----cut-----

i liked it so much that i searched for an older wrx or sti for a project car. i found a 2012 sti and bought it. was beat to ****ing hell by the previous owners. body nice except front bumper cover is cracked at the bottom. interior is nice. that's where it ends.
i think they did zero maintenance. cobb ap sticky mount thing on the dash, but no device. just the mount lol.
catless straight downpipe... i removed it. mis-installed shifter... i replaced with real oem sti short shifter assembly. shifts great now, but trans is still grinding... needs a rebuild, the previous owner accomplished his job with a crappy shifter. i'm sure the car needs a timing belt (112k miles). about 25 other problems.
all kinda codes. S and Cruise blinking alternately on dash (a kind of limp mode i think).

so MY opinion is you are smart to be asking the question. and i suggest test drive a '22

· Registered
125 Posts
actually the 22's look pretty sick if you do the paint work and stuff... all it takes is $$$ lol
this is just one video from their series:

and did i mention you should test drive one? the handling is tits

i've heard the autocross people complain about brake fade (maybe get cooling ducts) but never once heard one of them mention handling issues

· Registered
2,100 Posts
No idea how we got from him considering a 2017 to buying a new WRX.

Regardless, I suggest taking your time and buying from a private seller who is the original owner. If the car is modified, you'll be able to ask them exactly what was done to it, have them show you everything, and get a feel for what kind of person you're talking to.

Be willing to drive.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
I'm considering a WRX so I'd like to ask the best place to look for info on what to look for.

My web research tells me to avoid 2015-16 models. I'm not sure if I want to look at 2017's or not because they're likely to be pricey. I posted here once before and got piled on by a member saying If I have to ask I can't afford to own a wrx. I'm not some kid who flips burgers for a living. I just know that a lot of these cars have had the bollocks thrashed be previous owners. Looking online at cars for sale if I see any extra gauges of parts labeled Cobb, I pass.

I don't drive much as I work from home. I just want something that's a hoot to drive when I do have to go somewhere. I just don't want to buy someone's thrashed out screamer. I'm not against modified parts but I'm very wary of what the owner(s) may have done.

I'd appreciate any honest advice as to what years to looks for and the things to look out for. I don't need to be talked down to though.
Correction: Most have been thrashed. It's also the first manual & first sporty car for a lot of young buyers. Not a kind combo even though the cars are fairly robust.

No idea how we got from him considering a 2017 to buying a new WRX.

Regardless, I suggest taking your time and buying from a private seller who is the original owner. If the car is modified, you'll be able to ask them exactly what was done to it, have them show you everything, and get a feel for what kind of person you're talking to.

Be willing to drive.
It's actually really good advice now. 2017s with moderate miles are going for low to mid 20k$ here. Compared to a gamble for mid 20s, a new base model for ~30k$ is a much better & safer deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts