Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[ there is a summary at the bottom ]

Hey everyone! :)

I got a quick question and could really use some advice.

Today while driving early morning I did a full 2nd gear into a full 3rd gear pull and felt significantly less power than usual and a strange whistling sound. Mind you, the car had been completely warmed up and I was driving the same road I drive daily and around the same time most mornings. Weather was perfect. I was not red-lining or being stupid. This was just a quick pull to pretend to be a big boy.

After driving the car another twenty minutes or so (with a few more pulls to check out whether I was imagining this or not) I concluded that it must have been just a fluke. Fast forward an hour ago and I was driving on the same local road and gave just a little bit of throttle and noticed less power than normal and possibly the same weird whistling sound.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that I had an oil change done a few days ago. I have driven less than 100 miles since the oil change. This is the very first time that I have experienced anything strange like this. I've driven the car easily over a dozen times since the oil change and the car is driving perfectly fine, granted, half of my driving is in the city where I'm barely giving any gas at all.

What could be causing this? I have not noticed any issues with fuel-economy or anything else.

Thank you everyone! :)

1 - Had an oil change a few days ago. Have driven less than 100 miles since the oil change.
2 - Car has once or twice felt like it had almost no power at all on a 2nd or 3rd gear aggressive pull. The sudden loss of power is accompanied by a strange whistling sound.
3 - This has never occurred before. The car was being driven in the same manner as it is normally driven on the same roads taken daily in normal weather conditions.
4 - No other sounds or strange feelings are occurring while driving in both city and highway.
5 - The vehicle is a 2014 WRX with an SPT catback exhaust and a stock tune.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for such a quick response! :)

I guess that would make sense... but what could have caused it? Why does it only happen a few times under full throttle and not other times?

I work like seven days a week so I'll go drop the car off at the shop soon when I have time. I guess this is only an issue if I am driving fast but still...

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea what that is... :(

I drove the car today. It is not pulling as hard in second or third but it's not consistent. Sometimes it pulls fine and other times it feels weaker. The whistling/blowing sound is also intermittent. I might have the car checked by a local shop when I get the time.

Is it possible that during the oil change the shop accidentally did something with the transmission fluid or burned the clutch or un-clipped something else?

EDIT: forgot to mention that my car has just a tad over 47k miles - we take great care of it - this is a car we want to keep at least 10+ years like we have with all of our other cars...

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much friend! :)

I am working seven days in a row this coming week so I don't have time yet to drop the car off.

Any other ideas on what the cause could be? What causes most boost leaks by the way though?

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Thank you so much for such a quick response! :)

I guess that would make sense... but what could have caused it? Why does it only happen a few times under full throttle and not other times?

I work like seven days a week so I'll go drop the car off at the shop soon when I have time. I guess this is only an issue if I am driving fast but still...
Age, parts settling and wearing, abuse, modification, time, part failure, environmental variables.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is a boost leak covered under warranty? Am I able to bring my car in and ask for an inspection or check for this issue and not have to pay? Asking because dealerships seem to run differently here than from VA/DC I've noticed.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Yes should be. However isn’t the warranty expired on that by now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts