ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Sorry in advance if I’m posting in the wrong area.

I am possibly purchasing a 2002 WRX STI with right under 35k miles. Vehicle is coming from a friend of a friend who is “legit” - meaning they’ve cared for the WRX very well and it’s just about immaculate. My biggest question is there anything I should take into consideration before purchasing this car? Quite honestly, I’m weary just due to the fact it’s 18 years old...

some of the mods are :

Cobb Intake, Perrin turbo inlet pipe, VF-34 w/ internal waste gate welded. USDM STi top mount , Samco hoses , Koyo radiator , STi "pink" 565cc injectors , Warlboro fuel pump , Gruppe-S headers , SBR up-pipe w/ Tial external waste gate (20 lb. spring ) Perrin down pipe , Blitz Nur-Spec exhaust .

vehicle was tuned by Chris Black from AMS? (I, personally have not done any further research into this)

before I make this post longer than needed, I’ll leave it at this and see what type of responses I get. Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
Walk away.

It’s nearly two decades old and has been fitted with imitation parts.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
How did your "friend" import the vehicle into the USA?

·
2,580 Posts
How did your "friend" import the vehicle into the USA?
He's in Hawaii. Since it is almost yesterday there, maybe they got the STi a couple of years early?

·
29,217 Posts
I miss Jack Lord and those huge yank tanks he’d drive around on TV.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
He's in Hawaii. Since it is almost yesterday there, maybe they got the STi a couple of years early?
So he is.

Should I live in Hawaii, I think I would own something far less practical than an Impreza.

·
29,217 Posts
So he is.

Should I live in Hawaii, I think I would own something far less practical than an Impreza.
Me too!

For many seasons, Jack Lord drove a Mercury Marquis Park Lane 1968. In the mid 70s he switched to another Mercury Marquis that was even worse (70s USA cars are potentially the worst globally I suppose so that's a safe bet). I don't know which one is bigger and less reliable of the two, but that's the one I'd want.

Chances of the A/C working at this point? Zero! Perfect!

(In fact, now that I look at it, is that a puddle of something or other under the nose in the photo example?!)

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
My eye is immediately drawn to the puddle as well.

And the fact that (as you've mentioned) it is unlikely to have [working] A/C, that's not just water condensate....

In essence, it is the perfect headache I would like to have.

·
29,217 Posts
Totally!

I’d drive around in a suit with half a tube of Brylcream in my hair all day in that and I’d consider chain smoking too — the 70s style smoking where they used one matchstick all day but smoked 40 cigarettes by lighting one from the other. And drinking. Not beers; whiskey. I’d want my life to look like all the drunks you could kinda make out talking to Carson on The Tonight Show when the smoke clouds kinda cleared. I’d last one hell of a month, tops. Yolo.

(And that’s probably longer than the car would last...).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight..I owned an 05 STi back in 06 and I actually loved the car...got into an EVO 8 shortly after and my love for these all wheel drive machines catapulted..maybe I’m just itching to get one again too much lol.

C9C46094-BC28-4DBF-82D3-250AE6204832.jpeg
E12B8B05-7968-4FF9-AD9A-051681EABDBA.jpeg
3357E1A8-776E-4FC0-A2F3-1ECF2AC07F0F.jpeg
E12B8B05-7968-4FF9-AD9A-051681EABDBA.jpeg

the pics had me going...thanks again!

Attachments

·
29,217 Posts
It’s pretty. It’s going to be a headache. It’s your time and money — if you’ve got lots of both plus a Camry to drive around while this is on a lift, go for it. Wise men would walk.

There are rumours I may have been unwise at times in my life, though perhaps they’re not well founded or it’s merely the whiskey talking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s pretty. It’s going to be a headache. It’s your time and money — if you’ve got lots of both plus a Camry to drive around while this is on a lift, go for it. Wise men would walk.

There are rumours I may have been unwise at times in my life, though perhaps they’re not well founded or it’s merely the whiskey talking.
lol, appreciate the feedback...I’m gonna walk..hard to do but I’m not searching for a money pit

·
2,580 Posts
.I’m gonna walk.
(y)

Thanks for putting up with our nonsense. At least two of us responding had Bugeyes back when they were new and sorta unique. (I don't recall Zax' first WRX here.) There are likely very few unmolested cars left 18 years later! I sold mine in 2016 with just 34k miles and no engine modifications. Just a bit of suspension work for autocross. The kid that bought it promptly threw thousand of $$ at it, beat the crap out of it for two years, and then sent it on to the next unwary buyer. I's probably long dead by now.

Good luck, but don't jump at the first tarted up car. A polished turd is still, after all, just a turd...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just for the record, the chain smoking, single malt drinking drunk in the bar was me. How I made it our of my 20's, much less my 30's is still a mystery. Working on giant roman candles for a number of years may have had something to do with the drinking (wild well control in the oil field).

Reactions: SD_GR

·
29,217 Posts
That sounds epic. Those must have been the days!

·
Registered
331 Posts
That sounds epic. Those must have been the days!
To begin with, no sane person would willingly step onto one of the platforms. The thought was to find the first place that sold booze as soon as you hit dry land. Talk about some gawd awful dives. Open the truck doors and smoke (not exactly cigarette smoke) would pour out. You would file into the dive and commence to try to numb the senses.

I wasn't always an old, fat, bald guy.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
To begin with, no sane person would willingly step onto one of the platforms. The thought was to find the first place that sold booze as soon as you hit dry land. Talk about some gawd awful dives. Open the truck doors and smoke (not exactly cigarette smoke) would pour out. You would file into the dive and commence to try to numb the senses.

I wasn't always an old, fat, bald guy.

Oil platform life is just... different.

I had old coworkers do shifts on the oil rigs. 6 months on, 6 months off. That's a wild life. Didn't realize that was you....

·
11,233 Posts
Just for the record, the chain smoking, single malt drinking drunk in the bar was me. How I made it our of my 20's, much less my 30's is still a mystery. Working on giant roman candles for a number of years may have had something to do with the drinking (wild well control in the oil field).
I've heard tales. I used to make some of the components for the machinery on those rigs. The field technicians that would have to go out for various issues were a strange bunch.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oil platform life is just... different.

I had old coworkers do shifts on the oil rigs. 6 months on, 6 months off. That's a wild life. Didn't realize that was you....

I didn't work a rotation. I went out when there was a well that was having problems. The well could be shut in with pressure on the backside or it could be blowing out already. A blowout isn't as dangerous as the well is doing all that it can. However, before it blows, that is where the danger exists. This is where you try to figure out and make the efforts to bring the well under control before it blows out and kills everyone. I did wild well control for a year. You go when the call comes (24 hour call) and stay to the job is done (can be 30-40 days or more). I worked as a Halliburton Cementer and Western Services Supervisor for 4 other years. I made stupid money. I spent money stupidly. I was an alcoholic and basically closer to crazy than sane for a good portion of those years.

Got hurt. Got divorced (no way anyone should have lived with the maniac that I was). Got sober. Got a job using my education. Got more education. Never got sane (Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years). Still want to climb the Longstreet Tower with you. Dinner at Herr's Tavern or great burger at ABC (if any of them make it).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts