Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was taking pictures for my Renters Insurance, I though it would be cool for everyone to post pics of their snowboard or skis. And plus I am getting REALLY siked for this winter. Since it should be El Nino this year. That means LOTS of snow.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I used to have a pair of Atomic parabolic skis, but I outgrew them and haven't gone skiing in a while. Damn crappy east coast snow season. I'd really like to get back into now since I am farther upstate instead of Long Island.

-Josh

·
1,263 Posts
Guys - I need to buy a snowboard this year and I am dumbfounded by the variety here compared to Australia.

Any recommendations for someone who is 180cm tall and can have fun on blue runs and just get down black ones without killing myself and doesn't have any interest in jumps and aero stuff but likes the idea of hiking off and doing some back country stuff.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
2,210 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
Guys - I need to buy a snowboard this year and I am dumbfounded by the variety here compared to Australia.

Any recommendations for someone who is 180cm tall and can have fun on blue runs and just get down black ones without killing myself and doesn't have any interest in jumps and aero stuff but likes the idea of hiking off and doing some back country stuff.

Cheers,

Andrew

Are you coming to ride out here with us this season? :)

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
planning to!!!

gotta drive across Kansas at least once while I am living in the US!!
Ya know.... everyone says Kansas is flat, but I do not believe these people have actually ever been there. It's one of those urban myths apparently. Kansas is actually quite hilly on the eastern side - much like Missouri. HALF of Kansas is flat, but so is half of Colorado. And let me tell you that the drive through eastern Colorado is far more mundane than anything that Kansas has to offer. In fact, I have driven through about 40 of the continental united states at some point or another, and that section of Colorado between Denver and the KS border is the most boring 250 miles of highway I've seen yet!!! The Rocky Mountains are a very welcome sight when they finally come into view.

Kansas gets an undeserved bad rap IMHO. It is a tedious drive though just cos it's such a huge state with very few notable landmarks along the interstate. Rest areas are also few and far between so take an empty peanut butter jar with you. ;)

-Pace

·
1,263 Posts
pace said:

Rest areas are also few and far between so take an empty peanut butter jar with you. ;)

-Pace
Nah - the fighter pilot piddle pack is the bomb for that. A highly compressed sponge in its own 'shaped' plastic pack with a twist closure. No 'sloshing' when full!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew,

Since jumping and snowboard park stuff isn't a concern, I'd have to say go with Never Summer Snowboards . I ride one. They are AWESOME quality, fast, and very stable at high speeds. The reason they aren't great in the parks is that they have a few layers of rubber in them for dampening which makes the board a little heavier than some. Some other boards I recommend:

Lib Technologies
Gnu (same manufacturer as Lib)
M3
Solomen
Unity Snowboards (another small company that makes quality snowboards)

For the length of the snowboard...I think 180cm is like 5ft tall so I'd have to say that a board anywhere between a 155 and a 161 would suit you just fine.

Boards to stay away from

Burton (topsheets crack/shatter)
Forum (the softest, weakest base material known to man)
Airwalk (you will catch an edge and hurt yourself, even if you detune the board)

·
1,263 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:

The reason they aren't great in the parks is that they have a few layers of rubber in them for dampening which makes the board a little heavier than some.

For the length of the snowboard...I think 180cm is like 5ft tall so I'd have to say that a board anywhere between a 155 and a 161 would suit you just fine.
Thanks for the tips - but I need a revision on your height to length conversion. 180cm ~ 5'11"

also - how much heavier is a little heavier than some?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Before you buy, demo.......

Demo, demo, demo.....

Foam core boards loose rigidity pretty quick......

Compare things such as side cut ( deeper hold better edge, but can be less forgiving, yada, yada) Base material, and top sheet construction.

Warrenties are also CRUCIAL....(sp?);)

I've been riding K2 boards 9 years....and of those 9, I've swent a total of 4 boards back (Old juju, and 3 Zepplins) back and they have been rep[laced free of charge. I treat my quipment like my car:D , but like the same rise the sh%t out of it. SO again, if you go with new stuff, check the warrenty......

Boards are sized more by wieght.....

And did I mention to DEMO!!!:p
ALL boards ride differently. It's hard to take someone
else opinion ( cause that's what it is) because comfortable to one person is sluggish to another, is snappy to the next.....

Catch my drift?:) :cool:

Used ones are cheaper, but you still want to be informed of what your buying......Good Luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts