·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Is that yours, Joe?

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
GREAT BIKE! The CB changed everything!
Yes indeed! The UJM revolutionized the '70s, '80s, and '90s. Interestingly even the Japanese marques seem to be more successful with twins and triples today.

I love some of the retro-modern UJMs out there -- like the Honda CB1100 and to some extent, the Kawi W800.

Glorious time to be alive for retro-moderns. BMW RnineT, Ducati Desert Sled, Triumph Scrambler 1200 and Bonneville etc.

But me? Why I'd have a Guzzi V7 III

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
The Guzzi is gorgeous but the Hesketh 24 is crass, over 3 times more expensive, probably just as unreliable, and makes half-again as much torque as a Panigale because its engine is larger than that in my Subaru. Plus it’s a Hesketh.

Reactions: zax

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
To be fair, the 24 uses the S&S 117ci twin.

The jugs are much larger, but still a smaller displacement than your bugeye.

Still outrageous.

It's amazing how ubiquitous S&S has become in these limited-run motorcycles. Arch cycles and even Morgan Motor Company uses S&S engines. They've come a long way since rebuilding Panheads in the '50s. I've only recently become aware of Hesketh Motorcycles, and I admit it's only because of the movie Rush.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
The other fun obscure bike is the Münch Mammoth that predated the whole UJM category... 3 years prior to the CB750. Imagine this - it's 1966. The 1965 Volkswagen Type 1 on the market makes 50ps from its flat 4 engine. Enter the Münch Mammoth with 90ps in a motorcycle, in 1966! And it was Deutsche!

381 - 393 of 393 Posts