ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, if I got a WRX, I'd be new to the WRX scene. I own a jeep right now, and am going away to school next fall, and need something more fuel efficient for the traveling. If I went with a WRX, I'd most likely have to sell my jeep (which I DON'T want to do), and I'd want to get the WRX because it's AWD. On that topic, how do they go in the snow? Where I live, we can get a bunch of snow, so that's why I'd need AWD. I've also heard of people putting STI parts on the regular WRX, so, do they just bolt right up? Also, if I got one, I'd probably be getting the 02-03 style. Are there any major problems that I should know about with them? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
i have a 2011 WRX STi, and my friend just got a brand new jeep wrangler sport 2011, and when we got a few inches of snow 2 or 3 weeks ago, my STi was running circles around his jeep in the snow. personally, if a jeep wrangler had the Subaru AWD system it would be better in snow. only reason jeeps are so well-known for snow is they do have a very decent 4wd system, but also lots and lotssss of clearance height, even on the base models, but a WRX awd system will handle much better then your jeeps does now, but up against massive amounts of snow, the jeep mite be better off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, we don't get massive amounts of snow like Colorado or something, but six to ten inches is not uncommon. I've got a 93 Wrangler, so it doesn't have all the electronic stuff the 2011's do...it's just a lever through the floor to the transfer case.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
WRX/STIs are very good in the snow, as long as you get a set of all season or winter tires for them. If it only has summer tires on them, as many do, they are outright dangerous (it has more to do with summer tires in cold weather than anything else). With winter tires the Subies do very well in bad weather, often better than most 4WDs because of weight and height issues.

As far as STI parts bolting up, that is not often the case, but there are tons of aftermarket parts available for the WRX models, so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
A WRX is not really a "fuel efficient" car. It typically gets mid-20s on premium fuel.

An 02/03 is almost ten years old, so expect typical wear and tear, as well as atypical wear since they aren't often babied. Many of them will be modified (or formerly modified).

A car has less ground clearance than an SUV, but when driven properly and equipped with proper tires, as said, is very capable in inclement weather.

Some STI parts are interchangeable, some aren't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that mid-20s highway or city? There's a guy that lives around here with a WRX and says he gets 31-33 on the highway. I'd be mostly doing highway driving with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If it only has summer tires on them, as many do, they are outright dangerous (it has more to do with summer tires in cold weather than anything else). With winter tires the Subies do very well in bad weather, often better than most 4WDs because of weight and height issues.
Big D is right...winter tires are a MUST!!!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
fishsniper said:
Is that mid-20s highway or city? There's a guy that lives around here with a WRX and says he gets 31-33 on the highway. I'd be mostly doing highway driving with it.
Overall.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
fishsniper said:
What rpms do you guys typically shift at when you're just cruising along?
Until the oil is up to operating temp, 3K. After that, 4K.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
fishsniper said:
Do you have to use the premium 93 gas, or can you get away with the mid grade 89?
91+

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm trying to find out as much info as I can before I make any sort of decision. Is the Subaru community like the Honda community? By that I mean, everyone has a civic with x mods, and automatically wants to race as soon as they see another civic or something? What I am really trying to ask I guess, is: If I'm just driving somewhere, do people automatically want to race because I've got a WRX?

Again, sorry for asking so many questions, but I just want to be informed before I spend this much money.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Idiots will want to race any performance car they see. It's just a fact of life. Don't let others prevent you getting the car you want. That would be silly.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I wouldn't let that prevent me from getting a WRX. I was just curious.
Good. :) I personally believe the extent of visible/exterior mods encourages the schoolzone-racing idiots. I used to have a Z with 150psi NOS shot that ran 11s. But because you'd never know it from the outside of the car, "those guys" never (okay, very rarely) tried to get me to race.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts