ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 2011 WRX and im in the process of possibly purchasing a new perrin catback for it. from what ive heard, most dealerships will allow you to install an aftermarket catback and still cover the car under warranty, however im wondering if anything bad has happened to anyone else out there who has attempted this as well?
because im not buying a downpipe my car should still be covered right? obviously i do need to go to my dealership and ask them in person, but id like to hear other peoples stories on the matter.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
It all depends on the dealer, but you will be fine with just a cat-back exhaust.

If you don't alter the emissions systems or factory tune and then you're good. If you alter those Items the dealer can choose to deny your claim.. however that does NOT mean your warranty itself is void.. just means that they wont do the work under warranty status. Another dealer might, but I wouldn't count on it.

Do a quick search for warranty.. you'll end up with more info than you can shake a stick at. There are also sticky's with lots of info. Try that, it will answer all your warranty related questions ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok thank you. i think ill be going by my dealer today to ask about it all. haha im looking forward to this exhaust, it sounds amazing

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Some dealerships will deny engine problem claims after a catback has been installed.
The guy at the stealership you ask may say ok, then another guy might deny your claim. The only warranty safe thing you can do is have them install the SPT exhaust.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your response, im just trying to get a general consensus before i actually go to subaru and ask

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Some dealerships will deny engine problem claims after a catback has been installed.
That is illegal actually. They are required to allow you to put non-OEM wearable components on a car, otherwise it would be considered a monopoly. Since exhausts are regularly replaced due to rust, they're considered a wearable component. Other examples:
brake pads
brake rotors
tires
all fluids (as long as you use the correct type/viscosity)
all filters (air, oil, etc)

There was an act of Congress passed about this years ago to prevent auto manufacturers from having monopolies on wearable components. Look up the Magnuson-Moss act for more details.

·
5,780 Posts
If I recall correctly Bo has had a warranty claim denied because of a cat back.

That law in really only protects the manufacturers of aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If I recall correctly Bo has had a warranty claim denied because of a cat back.
I've heard of that happening more than a few times, but it's still illegal. If people aren't familiar with law, then they get taken advantage of. It wouldn't be the first time a dealer took advantage of somebody. ;)

That law in really only protects the manufacturers of aftermarket parts.
Eh? I'm confused. It was specifically passed to protect consumers. Do you mean in that it makes aftermarket companies able to sell parts because the automakers don't have a monopoly?

·
5,780 Posts
I'll PM Bo and see if he wants to chime in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well to clear things up...i went to my dealership today and they told me that a catback is totally fine and the warranty will still be intact in almost all cases. the only times that the warranty would be null in void would be if the problem or malfunctioning part was directly correlated to the new exhaust. but they would have to prove it.

also now that i have all of this cleared up, the only question i have is will the perrin catback mate up with my OEM downpipe or do i need to buy something else to make it match up??? please help me out

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
i just put on my perrin cbe today to a stock dp on an 09 wrx sedan. I got a new donut gasket and used the flat gasket too (your donut might still be usable since your car is new still) its basically a one person job but a second person is needed to make everything fit right. Have someone push the midpipe up to the car to get the flanges to line up perfectly. Put everything one loosely and align it, and then tighten stuff. I bought these tiny clamps from home depot ($2-3) to put on the exhaust hangers to keep everything in place. Good luck, it sounds awesome:thumbup:

·
5,780 Posts
well to clear things up...i went to my dealership today and they told me that a catback is totally fine and the warranty will still be intact in almost all cases. the only times that the warranty would be null in void would be if the problem or malfunctioning part was directly correlated to the new exhaust. but they would have to prove it.

also now that i have all of this cleared up, the only question i have is will the perrin catback mate up with my OEM downpipe or do i need to buy something else to make it match up??? please help me out
What dealership?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
premier subaru in Santa Fe, NM. i talked to general sales manager and he said everything was cool.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This is the case with any modifications done to a vehicle. Mods won't void a warranty, but claims can be denied if they can prove that the modification caused the claim. Being that a CBE has vitrually no effect on the vheicle other than noise, it will almost never cause a claim to be denied.

·
5,780 Posts
premier subaru in Santa Fe, NM. i talked to general sales manager and he said everything was cool.
He is not the guy who makes the decision to deny a warranty claim. He is the guy who makes you feel good about your purchase.

My car is going into premier in SF tommorow I'll ask the service guy.

This is how they did Bo. He has quite a few subarus.
Yea I had less than 5k on my 05 STi, the spoiler broke and they claimed because I had a cat back exhaust.. (no other modifactions at the time) they denied my warranty and black listed me. Even fought soa on the issue as well, still denied after the adjuster on the phone said that I packed my trunk to full and the bolt hit my luggage causing the spoiler to break.. Even tho that is impossible since the inner structure keeps the bolts from protruding.. Anywhooo I welded up the buttload of holes and painted the decklid

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
the SERVICE manager is the guy to talk to.. As said below, the sales staff will tell you anything you want to hear.

Thats why their work sales, their good at instilling confidence in the buyer even when there may be no confidence to be had.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok well let me know what the service manager says tells you. and about your friends issue, did they physically show him that his exhaust was the reason that the spoiler broke? because if they didnt they illegally denied his claim. what dealership did this happen at??

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just put on my perrin cbe today to a stock dp on an 09 wrx sedan. I got a new donut gasket and used the flat gasket too (your donut might still be usable since your car is new still) its basically a one person job but a second person is needed to make everything fit right. Have someone push the midpipe up to the car to get the flanges to line up perfectly. Put everything one loosely and align it, and then tighten stuff. I bought these tiny clamps from home depot ($2-3) to put on the exhaust hangers to keep everything in place. Good luck, it sounds awesome:thumbup:
Exactly...One thing to add, the stock bolts wth springs wouldn't tight the mid pipe to downpipe all the way, I ended up using the bolts came with the package. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts