ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a '93 325i with 167,XXX miles. I love driving it, and the engine hasn't given me a problem. It also Brings More Women. And the luxury of it is so much better than most cars. But after clutch replacement, minor accident repair, and blown shocks/struts it's becoming a money pit to me...a college student. So I'm going to trade/sell I'm starting to look at 02-03 WRX's. Mainly cause of tune-ability and price isn't bad for those years.

But how strong are the engines?
Do they last or after 100,000 miles they crap out?
What about the car itself, is it built to run hard and last?
What kind of regular problems/issues should I expect?

List your year, model, and any problem, and solution you have/had. This will also help any others searching like me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Engines are very strong! More likely than not you'll break something else before the engine.

100k+ is definitely not unheard of.

only iffy part of a WRX is the tranny, but if you take care of it and don't drive like a 16 year old, you'll be more than fine

No regular prob's or issues... just take care of her, and she'll take care of u

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quality over quantity, hun. ;)
We all have our priorities. I want power and comfort. I'd stay with a BMW but too $$$ right now. But I also want tune-ability. BMW outdo themselves every new car. No bolt on really adds nice noticeable horsepower/torque. If there is jump in numbers it's cause of turbo/supercharger. So I want to tune. WRX seems like a nice base to start. How are the non-WRX Impreza's? Easily tune-able for greater output?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
WRX seems like a nice base to start. How are the non-WRX Impreza's? Easily tune-able for greater output?
No. Normally aspirated, so they don't get nearly the same kind of bump from cheap add-ons, relative to the turbocharged cars in the Impreza lineup.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club!

Have you had a look at and sat inside of an Impreza? The lack of interior refinement might be a disappointment if you are coming from a BMW. Performance wise you will have no worries. :)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Check the link in my sig for new bugeye owners to get an idea of what you'll be looking at.

My trans was fine until I started launching. Lesson learned there. Get a WRX and mod/flash to stage 2. Dollar for dollar, it's probably the best you will get from the car.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
No. Normally aspirated, so they don't get nearly the same kind of bump from cheap add-ons, relative to the turbocharged cars in the Impreza lineup.
+1
Hello and welcome to the club!

Have you had a look at and sat inside of an Impreza? The lack of interior refinement might be a disappointment if you are coming from a BMW.
+1

·
Registered
300 Posts
the 02-early 03's
have notoriously weak 1/2 gears... micha wasn't lying normal driving they are fine if you go racing all the time you will blow up a gear eventually

1 - 12 of 12 Posts