Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just made an account so I’m new to this site. I’m here under pretty unique circumstances. I’m 24 and something of a gearhead. Long story short I’m the owner of a lightly modded 6 speed v6 turbo Saab that is currently undergoing bureaucratic emissions bullshit in my state. My tags expired in April and it failed state inspection for a minor annoyance of an issue that has no bearing on safety or smog levels. It runs and drives completely fine otherwise. I ordered the parts to fix it in January with an ETA of late March or early April, and as of now they’re still on backorder, and god only knows when they’ll arrive. I still don’t know how an arrival time can go from March to god only knows when like this but whatever. Saab is a dead foreign brand unfortunately which is the main issue, and my car is one of 13 with my specs that they built for North America which says all you need to know about finding parts and how expensive said parts can be. I love the car, it has low mileage for its age and hauls ass, and I plan on keeping it but I’ve been looking at getting a second car with similar horsepower and torque numbers. I have it narrowed down to either a previous generation impreza wrx or a bmw 335i/xi. Not too worried about maintenance costs but I definitely want a brand that I don’t have to wait an eternity to get parts for. I live in New England and it’ll probably wind up being my daily driver with the Saab as my fun fast car. I’d plan on probably putting a light tune on it and maybe an exhaust but it would stay relatively stock otherwise.

Anyway, I’ve come across a 2013 impreza wrx sedan for $14k with about 90k miles on it and I’ve got a few questions about it. First and foremost, it’s listed as a 6 speed manual and the dealer ad says multiple times that it has 6 gears. I was under the impression that that model year had a 5 speed but I could be wrong. In the pictures it has an aftermarket shift knob that doesn’t show the gear layout so I can’t tell. I’ve never owned a Subaru before and I know it’s a rookie question lol but is it 5 or 6 gears?

Next question, I’ve heard stories of wrx models being horribly unreliable and having head gaskets and rods and stuff go way too early. Is there any truth to that?

And last one, is $14k a reasonable price for this car? My budget is give or take ~$15k to buy, plus insure and fix stuff and whatever else. The ad says it’s all stock which is what I’d prefer. I’d rather buy a car as close to stock as I can and then tune, lower, etc., myself so I know what’s been done to it.

Input from owners would be much appreciated. I’d like to know what I’m getting into before pulling the trigger on this car. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
The market for the wrx can vary wildly from area to area. I wouldn't buy it without a complete prepurchase inspection and a maintenance history. Pistons and spun bearings are both common.

The wrx has a 5speed until the 2015 model year, the STI has 6.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts