Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Go Stage IV with your wrx

Votes: 13 22.4%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been seriously thinking of selling my wrx, parting out everything and going back to stock, and gettin the STi.

I have 4500 right now to spend on mods, or to put towards an STi or EVO... so let's see what we could work up

I love the sti, the 2.5 block, 6 speed tranny, DCCD, etc...

I know 4500 wouldn't cover the difference, but that's not what I'm saying.

Would you rather have a stage IV wrx, or an STi... that I'll mod... like I did my wrx

My rationale:

WRX: Fast car, lot of work to get into 12's... I'll have to worry about my tranny and clutch (which I DO NOT have the money to fix)

STi: with exhaust, mbc, and intake, I could be at my whp from the wrx...

EVO: awesome machine, a step up from the wrx; little cheaper than the STi

I would keep my stealthback, intake, and whatever else I could put on the STi, and just slap those suckers on ASAP (if I got the STi)

·
Registered
635 Posts
you know where i stand ryan

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hmmmmm.......decisions, decisions. The STi is about 30k so if you can afford it, go for it. Imma stick to my wrx for now. I'll probably upgrade in about 4-5 years. By then, who knows where the STi will be performance wise. :D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I voted keep your car and the $.

As appealing as an STi may be, it's likely (for a teenager) completely irrational. There is nothing wrong with your car now, you just want to be better/faster. I'd save the money for a rainy day (or stage IV ;)).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Shard said:
I voted keep your car and the $.

As appealing as an STi may be, it's likely (for a teenager) completely irrational. There is nothing wrong with your car now, you just want to be better/faster. I'd save the money for a rainy day (or stage IV ;)).
wise words from a wise man

·
Banned
968 Posts
Wow Ryan you hated the EVO till I said how much better it was than the STi.

KEEP YOUR CAR

Go stage 4, its awesome :)

My tranny is fine, my clutch is alright but thats because I launch too much and mess around. Your tranny will be fine if you're good to it.

17 Year old in an STi / EVO :shakes head:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
word. I give way more respect to something someone MADE fast than something that was BOUGHT fast. (still give my kidney for an STI though:D )

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here are my thoughts, you gotta look at what it costs to get to a certain point. For me, I said the max I would take the WRX to is 300 hp which would be as fast as a STI and still reliable for the 5+ years I would need it. But I would have to go with the STI before the Stage 4, it just seems like the better deal, I mean you get the 6 speed, 300 hp stock, brembo brakes, hid's, awesome suspension. Its just the better buy, throw that 4500 towards a down payment on a STI and you will be pretty much paying what you do now on your WRX. But right now I love my WRX, just put in my STI uppipe and will soon put in my Scooby Sport DP to be completely catless. We will see what next year has for store, but for now I am going to stay with the WRX.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, keep the opinions coming.

The STi just comes with EVEYRHINT i want out of my WRX...and by the time I have my WRX with all that, i'll be way over the price of the STi

·
Banned
968 Posts
Are you forgetting your gonna spend your money to buy the STi, then have none left over to mod it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd say it depends on reliability. This will be your only car, right? An STi would have factory reliability on its' side. It would depend on how well the stage 4 work was done how reliable your WRX would be. Of course you already mentioned you would mod the STi so, it sounds like a no brainer to me. Keep your WRX. You can live without DCCD and a 6 speed. Stage 4 doesn't seem like a whole lot of work to me.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chevyeater said:
I'd say it depends on reliability. This will be your only car, right? An STi would have factory reliability on its' side. It would depend on how well the stage 4 work was done how reliable your WRX would be. Of course you already mentioned you would mod the STi so, it sounds like a no brainer to me. Keep your WRX. You can live without DCCD and a 6 speed. Stage 4 doesn't seem like a whole lot of work to me.....
No, I'd have to say the opposite. Reliability is on the STi's side...

stronger tranny, stronger clutch, already have the HP that's my goal with the WRX.

Jon, yeah, but I didn't have money up front to mod my WRX...I work...therefore more money will come along. That's not an issue.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
RexMobbin' said:
wise words from a wise man
Why thank you, having said that, i might have to go STi if i was in his shoes :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
go with the Evo, or the STI. Reliability plus the already better, brakes, suspension, and seats make it better than any reasonable stage4. Plus for a modding platform both have advantages. I just wouldn't put myself deaper into debt for one... especially at our age... good luck with your decision...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shard said:
Do that!

Buy like a Gixxer 750!:eek:
I actually thought about gettin a 600...

but that wouldn't fly too well with the rents and the insurance company...

a 17year old with a crotch rocket = disaster

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:

Thats why you dont insure it fully. Just dont wreak it in 2 years, and the saved money already paid for a new bike.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:

Give it a try, a 600 shouldn't be TOO overkill for ya.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts