ClubWRX Forum banner

Do you think there is life elsewhere in the universe ("intelligent" or not)?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I'm not sure what I think

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SETI article gave me the idea for this poll. Just curious what you all think. Keep it friendly and non-religious/political. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Life beond earth...yes
Intelegent life maybee
Inteligent life that we will ever meet or come into contact with or who have the ability to travel faster than light .. most likely impossible
Even if there where ultra intelegent beings i doubt they would go out odf there way to do anything with us... It would be like human beings trying to make contact with some fish on the ocean floor...:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I never understood those figures like that... There is no proof life is newhere besides earth, so how the hell do they know how to calculate this probability?:confused:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Integra96 said:
What do you mean?
Ok, in order for life to exist, a certain set of factors must all fit together...IE, distance from the star, size of the star, size of the terrestrial planet, volcanism, etc etc...Those factors occur at lets just say an estimate of 1 in 1,000,000,000 solar systems...well, there are BILLIONS of solar sytems in BILLIONS of galaxies...each one capable of holding that key to life, as ours did. The chances of NO other solar system fitting the correct mold are astronomical. There MUST be life somewhere else out there, but unless we can get some type of deep space travel, the chances of any of these life forms ever meeting are extremely slim.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don really buy the distance from the sun crap... there are bacteria and like coral that can live off of sulfur and other sch gasses, and need no C02 or O2 to live.. :wiggles:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Vette Dude said:
I don really buy the distance from the sun crap... there are bacteria and like coral that can live off of sulfur and other sch gasses, and need no C02 or O2 to live.. :wiggles:
ok, so then the chances for life increase tremendously...

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I see what you mean; hehe I thought you were being sarcastic and talking about the figures in the poll! :D

I agree, there is a certain good probability that there is life out there. It's not enough to deductively conclude this, but I think it's a good possibility. However, I don't believe that Earth has been visited by any other life - at least not recently.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Vette Dude said:

they dont just survive b/c of sulphur though. theres tons of other factors involved. ie: theyre in the ocean, earth has a core venting, etc etc

too stoney and drinky to think much more

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vette Dude said:
Well yes, but distance from the sun has nothing to do necessarily with the availability of gaseous CO2 or O2. Though I do agree that our concept of conditions that make life possible is probably quite incomplete and limited due to the fact that we only know of the conditions necessary for life HERE to exist. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Integra96 said:
Well yes, but distance from the sun has nothing to do necessarily with the availability of gaseous CO2 or O2. Though I do agree that our concept of conditions that make life possible is probably quite incomplete and limited due to the fact that we only know of the conditions necessary for life HERE to exist. :)
well i worded that poorly... basically i was talking in the case of a surface dwelling life form... and even then ... We don't know enough about biokligy IMO to make all of these asertions on when how where and what makes life possible... We can make guesses but I don really think we know for sure...:wiggles:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If the universe is indeed infinitely large (if it isnt, whats at the "end" of it?) , there's a 100% chance of intelligent life elsewhere, let alone just simple organisms.

Its just that we will never be able to see for ourselves outside of this galaxy...

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shotgun: the poll isn't asking whether or not we believe in God/Jesus because it would be an ugly thread after 4 or 5 posts. That's a separate topic best left to PM's or something. For now, we can all (including religious people) say yes, no, or I don't know to the question. :)

Brandon: even with an infinitely large universe, one cannot conclude with certainty that there IS life elsewhere. It would just be a strong inductive argument if you could demonstrate both that the universe is infinitely large and that conditions similar to ours exist in at least one other place. :)

·
Admin - Scooby Hooligan
23,369 Posts
dark_rex said:
there's got to be LIFE somewhere else.

it's probably just microbial sludge, but it's life.
my opinion too

i mean thass a awful lotta wasted real estate if its just us(earth)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts