·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

Police dog dies after left in patrol car

01:34 PM CDT on Saturday, July 31, 2004

By JASON TRAHAN / The Dallas Morning News

An 8-year-old Dallas police German shepherd died Friday after his handler, a 23-year department veteran, left him in a patrol car.

The tactical officer discovered the dog in the back seat of his patrol car at about 7 p.m. Friday after a neighbor knocked alerted him that he left some car lights on.

“He’s distraught,” Deputy Chief Alfredo Saldana said . “Officers bond with these animals. People around here feel like we lost a member of the department.”

The officer had arrived at his home on San Patricio Drive near Garland Road just after his shift ended at 3 p.m. He and the dog, which was trained to detect explosives, had been training since 7 a.m. at Love Field, police said.

The Dallas high temperature Friday was 91 degrees.

A vice president of the Dallas chapter of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals called the incident “unconscionable."

“He should be charged criminally,” said Dave Garcia, who investigates animal cruelty cases for the SPCA of Texas. “If John Q. Public did this, they would be charged, and so should this officer. It’s a K-9 officer. That person has to be held to a higher standard than anyone else on something like this.”
:(

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
accidents happen...

dont you think the fact of what happened will **** him up enough.

be a toughguy here on the internet but you dont know **** about the situation, or the person.

i feel bad for them

bummer to hear this.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not trying to be a tough guy. I don't care what the situation was. An animal under your care is your responsability, not just when it is convenient. I don't know or care if the officer is "****ed up" from what he did. If he commited a crime, he needs to be held responsable for it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
they charge people atleast here for that. should be held to the same standards.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yeah, thats horrible. I hate to just see dogs in cars. Whenever I see a dog in a car without the windows rolled down, I usually have them announce it over the intercom (almost always at a Walmart). I don't know why people treat their animals like that...:(

·
Registered
0 Posts
chevyeater said:
What a moron. He just forgot the dog was in the back seat? I agree, he should be charged criminally.
Dog lays down to take a nap after a long day of training.. officer is tired and has his mind on other things... gets home and the dog doesn't 'remind' him he's back there and he forgets.

People have done the same thing with their children. And while I think it's tragic, I don't believe it's criminal. Or are you telling me you have never in your life messed up becuse you forgot or got sidetracked?

This is a screwed up world these days... nothing can be just a tragic accident. Someone has to be at fault, someone has to pay. If I thought for a second that the cop left his dog out to bake on purpose, I'd be the first to say he deserves whatever he gets. But without cruel intent, I think the loss of his partner is enough for the poor guy to deal with.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
Dog lays down to take a nap after a long day of training.. officer is tired and has his mind on other things... gets home and the dog doesn't 'remind' him he's back there and he forgets.

People have done the same thing with their children. And while I think it's tragic, I don't believe it's criminal. Or are you telling me you have never in your life messed up becuse you forgot or got sidetracked?

This is a screwed up world these days... nothing can be just a tragic accident. Someone has to be at fault, someone has to pay. If I thought for a second that the cop left his dog out to bake on purpose, I'd be the first to say he deserves whatever he gets. But without cruel intent, I think the loss of his partner is enough for the poor guy to deal with.
agreed, its not like he left the dog out there on purpose....he obviously knows the concequences of doing so. "nothing can be just a tragic accident, someone has to be at fault, someone has to pay" so true!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
CustomS10 said:
if a criminal did it, it would be murdering a police officer. how can you forget a dog, seriously. you have no partner it says K9 on ur fawking car.
Exactly. He had just spent the day from 7-3 training with the dog! I think that is criminal neglegence. I forget some stupid things sometimes but, leaving a baby or a dog in the car for 4 hours in sweltering heat just isn't one of them. What could be more important than that? He had to pee or something?

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
MJU1983 said:
Cops are so stupid...
:confused:

Anyway, I agree with aaron and Racenut. Who wants to bet that a new law (with the dog's name attached, no doubt) will be introduced to "ensure that this never happens again".

What's screwed up is that, as was said earlier, there's no such thing as an accident or just accepting that life sucks sometimes anymore in this country. With every newsworthy event comes a slew of laws, lawsuits, activism, entitlement, etc. It's disgusting. Life's not perfect and when we demand that it should be, rationality and freedom usually end up going down the sh|tter.

My 2% of a dollar.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:

Accident or not...the dude broke the law. If someone other than a cop "accidentally" killed their pet, would they just be stuck with a grieving punishment?

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
people "accidently" run a red light and kill someone all the time...
accident or not, he needs to face the proper consequences.... i feel bad for the cop and the dog... and even though i feel bad for the cop, his actions must have a stardard of consequence.

This cop has no reason to be treated "above the law". any citizen would be punished for such a thing, and so should he.
accident or not, he F'ed up, and there is usually a consequence for F'ing up!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
as sad as this may be, there are consequences. Mistake or not, letting him go unpunished may allow others to follow suit and use the same possible excuse. Do you think he would do it to a child after a hard day at the park and beach? He should have known better cause a precious life was lost. Dog or child...... it doesn't matter if I forgot or not..... i am responsible. I'm not blaming the guy but rather pointing out how irresponsibility can lead to a horrendous outcome.:(

·
Registered
0 Posts
cb259 said:
Accident or not...the dude broke the law. If someone other than a cop "accidentally" killed their pet, would they just be stuck with a grieving punishment?
I'm not saying he should be treated differently because he's a cop. I don't feel that ANYONE should be criminally prosecuted when criminal INTENT is not there. I'm saying that it seems that everyone want's someone to have to pay a heavy price whenever 'Shit Happens' instead of trying to understand and learn from it. Oh yeah, let's destroys this mans life and that of his family because he accidentally forgot about his dog. Yeah, makes sense to me.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
I'm not saying he should be treated differently because he's a cop. I don't feel that ANYONE should be criminally prosecuted when criminal INTENT is not there. I'm saying that it seems that everyone want's someone to have to pay a heavy price whenever 'Shit Happens' instead of trying to understand and learn from it. Oh yeah, let's destroys this mans life and that of his family because he accidentally forgot about his dog. Yeah, makes sense to me.. :rolleyes:
I agree in general with that; however we are, under the laws, responsible for negligence. Usually this applies to property damage and things like that, but in this case I'm not sure it would be appropriate to wreck this guy with a prison sentence or something. He probably just needs some time off and doesn't need to be punished severely for being stressed out and forgetting about the dog. If this were a person that died, the law would treat him differently and some of you might be able to make better points.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Integra96 said:
I agree in general with that; however we are, under the laws, responsible for negligence. Usually this applies to property damage and things like that, but in this case I'm not sure it would be appropriate to wreck this guy with a prison sentence or something. He probably just needs some time off and doesn't need to be punished severely for being stressed out and forgetting about the dog. If this were a person that died, the law would treat him differently and some of you might be able to make better points.
I agree and dis-agree... he needs to be accountable for his own actions... It's part of life. I am not saying his life should be ruined, or he should even go to prison. but to slap his hand and say "im sorry this happened, be more careful next time" is just rediculous.

IMO, he should have this put on his record, he should be suspended from the force for 6 or more months without pay.

IF THIS GUY IS SO NEGLEGIBLE THAT HE WOULD LEAVE HIS PARTNER IN A CAR TO DIE AND JUST "FORGET ABOUT HIM" DO WE REALLY WANT THIS GUY DE-FUSING OR INSPECTING BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sh*t happens.... i dont think he should be jailed, but DEFINATLY suspended without pay and possible termination from being a police officer. I am sure the guy feels horrible, there no doubt about that..... but he still needs to be accountable for his neglegent actions.... as a great man once said, "for every action, there is an opposite or equal reaction". Newtons 3rd law... and although this is not pertaining to motion; he should recieve an equal/adequate punishment for his actions

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts