Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so id just let to say I'm totally new to subarus i just purchased a 2009 wrx with a 2014 sti enginethere are lots of mods done to the car that im exhaust work lots other stuff and when I got it home I noticed that what I think is the map sensor right under the intercooler is unplugged I found the plug and seems to be plugged into a different thing that im not sure but its connected to a boost refance of some type I think idk any help guys ill put pics of what I'm talking about then I found another wire I thought for it but its not plugged into anything ether idk help me lol
Hand tool Wood Gas Metalworking hand tool Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
232 Posts
That doesn't even seem to have an STi Intake Manifold. Might be why things aren't plumbed where they should be.

Step back and a bit so we get a better picture, and try to trace the hoses best you can and take pics of where they attach or lead.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That doesn't even seem to have an STi Intake Manifold. Might be why things aren't plumbed where they should be.

Step back and a bit so we get a better picture, and try to trace the hoses best you can and take pics of where they attach or lead.
I though the same thing first, but the Throttle body is in the right place for an STI, so maybe its a jdm version of some sort (some ppl source the jdm market when swapping engine) I don’t know take my post with grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okok ill get a better picture fpr u guys thanks so much for even responding guys I fricking love this subaru community I've had the car 3or 4 days and the amount of subies flashing lights and hands out the windows I fricking love this stuff

·
BooSTIng
2,325 Posts
Could it be swapped to speed density? Idk much but I know usually the map is deleted or unplugged for speed density.
I believe you are talking about the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. The MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor should always be there. The MAF is usually deleted when going to speed density. Unless you are running a hybrid type set up like I am. Where I am tuned on speed density, but the MAF is still utilized to better monitor IAT's.

·
BooSTIng
2,325 Posts
OP, it is kind of hard to see everything going on with the pictures you supplied. However, it is obvious that the MAP sensor is unplugged. This is no bueno. I would get the car to a good mechanic or a subaru specialty shop asap to look everything over.

With the MAP sensor disconnected, the fuel delivery will be excessive and could cause harm to the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP, it is kind of hard to see everything going on with the pictures you supplied. However, it is obvious that the MAP sensor is unplugged. This is no bueno. I would get the car to a good mechanic or a subaru specialty shop asap to look everything over.

With the MAP sensor disconnected, the fuel delivery will be excessive and could cause harm to the engine.
The hook up for the map is hooked up to that other thing in the picture and I have a afr gage it idels around 14 when u get into the power it drops to 11 12 so it seems to be tuned pretty good but as I said im new to this im moving up for tubro side by sides and sleds so idk really

·
Super Moderator
11,766 Posts
I'm not an authority but its impossible to tell what you have exactly just by looking at the top of the engine.

I don't recall the 255 having aluminum intake runners, and as far as I'm aware all the STI's have red runners.

This leads me to think it is some sort of hybrid, or you got blatantly lied to. Either way. I'd seek a performance shop near you to look at your car and clearly identify what you have.

·
Æternum
16,144 Posts
Likely the 2004-2007 STI longblock w/ older WRX (2002-2007) intake manifold and older (smaller) STI (2004-2007) TMIC.

The bigger question is, why? Could have come by a replacement engine for cheap or fallen trap to the "it's STI so it must be better" [false] argument.

The intake runner design and heads in the 2009+ WRX were better than the STI w/ B25/V25 heads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what I was thinking cuz the car its a 2009 so maybe they used the intake off the old engine im gonna go look at the stamp on the block and make sure its what its supposed to be it was supposed to be a 2014 sti engine in it even if I got a fast one pulled on me I paid 4500 candain fpr the car would u guys think I made out ok?

·
Æternum
16,144 Posts
Thats what I was thinking cuz the car its a 2009 so maybe they used the intake off the old engine im gonna go look at the stamp on the block and make sure its what its supposed to be it was supposed to be a 2014 sti engine in it even if I got a fast one pulled on me I paid 4500 candain fpr the car would u guys think I made out ok?
This raises suspicions.

The 2008+ STI uses W25 heads that incorporate dual-AVCS. The 2.5L WRX never had provisions to control the exhaust-side AVCS.

It is possible that the shortblock was from a 2014 STI, but since the head volumes are different between the D25 and the W25, this wouldn't have been an appropriate installation without head machining. And then we are back at the original question: why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And
Yes, this is expected.

The actual BLOCK in the WRX and STI of that vintage are identical. The difference lies in the pistons and heads.
How exactly do I tell could I look at the heads somewhere am really new to this but I fricking love this car so much and im just trying to learn so thanks alot for the help I have all the small engine knowledge but cars are so much different 😅

·
Æternum
16,144 Posts
And

How exactly do I tell could I look at the heads somewhere am really new to this but I fricking love this car so much and im just trying to learn so thanks alot for the help I have all the small engine knowledge but cars are so much different 😅
There's a stamping code on the heads by the TGVs

S20 = 2L WRX heads
D25 = 2.5L WRX heads
B25 = 2004-2006 USDM STI heads
V25B = 2007 USDM STI heads
W25 = 2008 - present USDM STI heads

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's a stamping code on the heads by the TGVs

S20 = 2L WRX heads
D25 = 2.5L WRX heads
B25 = 2004-2006 USDM STI heads
V25B = 2007 USDM STI heads
W25 = 2008 - present USDM STI heads
So the head code is w25 so this would make it right for a 2014 sti engine right?so I didn't get lied to lol ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts