ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new blitz exhaust and in the process of taking off my stock exhaust a rusted bolt snapped. they are liek bolts with springs around them....at the end of a catback exhaust..where it connects to the next pipe. would i beable to pick one of those up at any car parts store? and wat are they called?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just got my new blitz exhaust and in the process of taking off my stock exhaust a rusted bolt snapped. they are liek bolts with springs around them....at the end of a catback exhaust..where it connects to the next pipe. would i beable to pick one of those up at any car parts store? and wat are they called?
those bolts arte called "spring bolts" and can be purchased at an auto parts store that carries exhaust parts. i would go to napa myself. the person working there will know exactly what you need if you ask for spring bolts.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I used 22M head bolts on mine. I dont use the Springs on my turboback exhuast. IF your using the stock u may want to invest in stopping by subaru and picking up some from them

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
In technical terms, these are called shoulder bolts, and no, not all parts stores will have them.

In a pinch, you can use the same sized regular bolts with enough washers or teflon spacers to equal the same distance from the bolt head to the "shoulder". I don't recommend going without them as your exhaust can flex from side to side a bit more without these.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
the stock exhaust system uses a flexable style system, the donut gasket and springs are so the dp and cbe connection can "bend" and still be sealed. if your dp and cbe are flat flange just used regular bolts and a gasket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flexiblility

the stock exhaust system uses a flexable style system, the donut gasket and springs are so the dp and cbe connection can "bend" and still be sealed. if your dp and cbe are flat flange just used regular bolts and a gasket.
wouldnt the two pipes need to beable to flex? they are flat but i feel like that would end bad.

·
Registered
357 Posts
wouldnt the two pipes need to beable to flex? they are flat but i feel like that would end bad.
If both exhaust sections end with a flat flange, how are they supposed to flex at the joint without bending a flange?

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Some aftermarket exhausts have flat flanges, and thus, do not allow movement at the joint, thus placeing a stress load on the flange and unfortunately, on the exhaust manifold itself. These designs usually include additional mounting supports to reduce this stress as much as possible. However, Subaru designed these with a flexible donut gasketed joint for a reason. Read between the lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts