Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I think I may have a serious problem with my WRX, but I though I'd seek input from the club before I go to the dealer, just to have an idea of what should be happening.

Here is my situation:
I have an 02' WRX with 4700 miles on it and I have the factory boost gauge. I've made some minor mods to the engine bay (3/16ths mod, and Removed the resonator) but nothing major till next year when I'm planning on a TXS stage 4.

From what I've read on the engine performance forum, in stock form the WRX is limited to 7psi in 1st and 2nd gear, then 13.5 or 14 psi in 3rd-5th gears. I looked at the conversion thread and this means that I should be hitting @ around .1 MPa on my factory boost gauge in 3rd-5th gears @ WOT.

I have NEVER seen my boost gauge hit more than .05 MPa in ANY gear. After all that I've read on the forums I started to get a little suspicious. Last night I found an open stretch of highway, slowed down and shifed to 2nd, redlined it, and shifted to 3rd and then excellerated all the way to redline in 3rd (96mph)

When I slammed the gas in 3rd, the boost gauge climed to .05 MPa and held there for the duration of my acceleration. Am I correct in thinking that there is something wrong with this? Maybe I'm just missing something, and if I am, please forgive my ignorance.

I'm a bit concerned because it has been this way ever since I took delivery of the car. I bought it new, so of course I had no frame of reference for what the engine should feel like. I came to the WRX from a GS-R with no prior turbo experience. Sometimes in the higher rev ranges it feels like an N/A car and I don't understand that at all.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Koji

·
Registered
37 Posts
.05 MPa is definitely too low for 3rd gear WOT pulls. Did your car ever pull to .1 before you put on the 3/16 mod? The reason I ask is because I noticed when I was shopping for 3/16 restrictors, I noticed that some of them were different in that they were actual vaccum restrictors and had a piece of metal stuck inside. If I were you I would start simple and put back in your stock restrictor to see if that makes a difference.

If thats not it, then it could be a number of things, including a bad factory boost control solonoid. If thats the case you could cure the problem with a MBC of some sort. If you really want to see if its the solonoid, try unhooking the factory boost solonoid as per the directions in This Link

Just be careful about running around for long periods of time with the above mod if you have the stock up pipe with cat on. The part throttle/full boost caused by having no solonoid can raise EGT's, and having your pre cat burn up and get ingested into the turbo can suck, so I hear. Good luck!

P.S. Could also be a bad boost gauge

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
GOOD CALL!!!

I had the same problem as JokeZero but I fixed it now, and guess what .1 MPa in 3rd!!!

Ok, Subaru I want 4000+ miles of my life back...No wonder my 1/4 mile times sucked, that extra 7psi probably would have helped.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
ok i wanna check this out on my car...anyone have pics of what hoses should go where?

edit: ok i looked under the hood but its like 10PM here and i only had my lighter to see so i couldnt really tell...its seems like the top hose is the tee and the bottom goes to the intake but im not sure...also the hoses are covered in the spiral shrink wrap so im not sure which hose is goin where on the solenoid...so where is each hose supposed to go?

·
Registered
148 Posts
ok cool im pretty sure it looks like that but ill print this up and go take a look...thanks for the help!!!:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
So theoretically, if you do this and you get more psi in 3rd-5th than you do with the hose connected your FBC solonoid is broken? Cuz im running with the Accessport Stage 2 93 oct map and only getting .05mpa, but when i did this yu were right, i got .1 immideatly in all gears. I should get more than this with the stage 2, but i can understand not getting that with the FBC unplugged. Im guessing now i have to take my car to subaru and get the FBC checked out to see if thats whats wrong. If that means its toast, let me know. That should help me out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
hmm im sure everyone saw my post about my 15.01 1/4 times, well after seein this post i went out to check out my car... and the guy put in the 3/16 mod but it did have the damn restrictor in it! so i took the brass restrictor out and man! what a difference, it runs soooooo much better and pulls 2x harder, looks like i need to hit the track again soon, thanks to all, what would i do w/ out this site, you guys rock!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts