Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help. My clutch is starting to slip on my 2018 WRX after only 28K. The car is all stock and I have made no modifications. I do not beat on the car or race it. Is this common? I find it hard to believe the clutch would need to be replaced so soon. When driving on the highway in 5th or 6th gear, and I accelerate, the RMP jumps up but the car does not respond, a second later the RMP drops and the transmission grabs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Take it to the dealership you purchased it at, ASAP. They may replace it for you as a goodwill gesture. Since you're mileage is getting near the 30K, you better do it soon rather than later, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with Chris. Dealer I purchased my 2017 from said they've seen a handful come in very early needing clutch replacements. They said its a case by case thing but, if they don't have overwhelming evidence you've beat the car to snot, they will typically replace it once as goodwill/keep you loyal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your reply. I did contact the dealership. I had an issue with them when they serviced my transmission. They did not tighten the drain bolt on my transmission and I drove for a few weeks with fluid leaking out. Hopefully this is not a result of their negligence.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If they give you any push-back contact the Subaru of America hotline. They're excellent with addressing customer concerns.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If they give you any push-back contact the Subaru of America hotline. They're excellent with addressing customer concerns.
wish I had known this when dealing with the abysmal local dealer I had since moving. I could literally walk there from my house and I'd rather drive 40 minutes to the next Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes it's common, happened to me around 30k except I had a ton of mods already installed and was at the tuner.. so I said **** it and put a stage 2 south bend clutch in

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
current generation seems to be having a common issue with this - met two guys at a local meet (SoFlo) and they mentioned this has been happening even with stock cars - good luck OP

I second SOA btw - had to contact them only once but they were very helpful

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2016. Started slipping right about the same mileage as yours. The dealership did the repair as a warranty fix, but tried to tell me it was because I drove my car on the beach and most have got sand on the transmission.
I am hoping this does not happen to my 2018, which is at 17000 now.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
kc2pxp-

I had a similar problem with my 2017 WRX. But I returned it to my Dealer and they replaced the clutch, Throw out, Fly wheel and peddle assembly. That was in July 2018; all has been good since.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE- Well the dealer replaced my clutch assembly and flywheel and it was covered under warranty! I picked the car up yesterday and when I pressed the clutch down it moved like it was not even connected. This new clutch assembly and new grease make the clutch so easy to press that you would think its broke! The clutch that came with the car when it was new was always hard to push but this new one is as easy as the gas pedal to press.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a good update, glad to hear they got everything squared away for you. Definitely nice to see good dealers still around. Don't go doing those launches again and burning this one up :nono: (kidding of course)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was the first time this dealership replaced a clutch under warranty. I was lucky because it would have cost me $2,100.00. LOL, yeah I can't launch my car. I am not that skilled. I don't beat on the car but the WRX just makes you want to drive aggressively.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
UPDATE- Well the dealer replaced my clutch assembly and flywheel and it was covered under warranty! I picked the car up yesterday and when I pressed the clutch down it moved like it was not even connected. This new clutch assembly and new grease make the clutch so easy to press that you would think its broke! The clutch that came with the car when it was new was always hard to push but this new one is as easy as the gas pedal to press.
nice :thumbup: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts