ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
688 Miles in and seem to be averaging 28 MPG, this is 2.5 MPG better then my Volvo C30. Using 91 Octane, no mods, both cars used the same gas/octane.

Why I am Surprised:

- WRX has more electronics, like the entertainment system/NAV. This has to be a strain on the car
- WRX is 250lbs heavier
- WRX has 30HP more, C30 had 238 (was factory Tuned)
- WRX is AWD

If I turn off all the electronics and use SI drive setting (intelligent Drive) rather then Sport more I bet I could get over 30 MPG on average.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
That is a step in the right direction. I now generally equate fuel economy with performance since I don't find the usual measures interesting any more. Good news for Subaru.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
I admit I also like the new "space ship" displays Subaru has implemented. My bugeye isn't nearly as fancy. Nice car congrats.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Good stuff..have you confirmed with manual measurements at the pump? My BRZ, during the summer, will report 32mpg when I'm doing mixed highway/city driving, but the reality is closer to 29-30. Which I'm not complaining about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did, it reconciles. the extra 2 miles or so per gallon could end up being a few car payments each year if it keep up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've reconciled the computer calculation a few times now and found the it reads about 2.5 MPG higher than the actual gas verses miles traveled. With 9,200 miles it's averaged between 25-26 MPG, while the computer shows a lifetime average of 28.2 MPG.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I did, it reconciles. the extra 2 miles or so per gallon could end up being a few car payments each year if it keep up!
LOL, you must do a serious ton of driving. I fill up every 12 days or so. If I got 2mpg more, it would buy me an extra day, so about 28 fillups a year versus 30, which would save me about $60 a year. I get it, though, money is money.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
2,175 Posts
My lifetime average shows exactly 36 on the car at 26,000 miles now. It has been duscussed in several past threads - 10% is the typical difference between the car's display and the actual. I confirm this every time I fill up. I also saw my mpg go up noticeably after around 4500 miles. My best mpg was 41 on display and 37.2 calculated on a long road trip once.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The driving is to work and back.. I logged 102k miles n my Volvo C30 in around 5 years... burn through cars sadly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not bad. I didn't think the newer ones we're getting that high mileage.

I bought a cheap VW diesel for commuting. It gets fantastic mileage,50+, but isn't that fun to drive. However, knowing I have a cheap high MPG commuter, has allowed me to do the fun, gas mileage killing mods on my WRX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're averaging 45 MPH, it makes getting better MPG easier. Over the last two years I average 25 MPH (lots of traffic here) and all that stopping kills any hope at fuel economy...

·
Registered
251 Posts
688 miles in, so it hasn't hit past the break in yet? If not, wait to see until then. You may not be heavy footed yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I have 2016 WRX Limited CVT, so it is the heaviest WRX and automatic saps fuel economy compared to manual, but my display says 26.7 mpg after 12,466 miles, and manual calculations (My Cars app on Android) shows 24.74 mpg. So car display is 7.9% optimistic.

I know mpg isn't as good as the manual, but still it is pretty darn good for a car of this weight and power. My 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse had 205 hp and weighed 3210, and I got 22-24 mpg with that. So WRX weighs more, and has much more hp, yet gets better mpg. That's state-of-the-art engineering technology, for sure.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I took a small hit in the mileage when I went from my 2003 Honda Accord coupe to the 2015 Subaru WRX . . . but the trade off is it is much, much better in the snow and a whole heckuva lot more fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m averaging 28 mpg with an average highway speed of 75. I thought I’d come in around 19 since the window sticker says 22(?)

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,989 Posts
I averaged 25.2 overall in the 4 years that I had a 2015 WRX.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good stuff..have you confirmed with manual measurements at the pump? My BRZ, during the summer, will report 32mpg when I'm doing mixed highway/city driving, but the reality is closer to 29-30. Which I'm not complaining about.
Ray,

Good to see a post from you. How is that Alpha platform gas eater treating you? Man that blue is just killer. I apologize about the thread jack.

I'll not post the astounding fuel economy of The Bucket of Bolts or The Bus or the Honda truck (yea it is that bad).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts