ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few hours over at a buddies plastidipping my wheels on my 02 WRX.
Before

During

After

Overall I am happy with the way they came out. It was pretty simple, we used degreaser and simple green to clean them along with shop towels, tapped up the tires (tried using playing cards around the rim but the wind wasn't cooperating), and layed on a few coats. I didn't give them enough time to dry but they still look good and I can hold off on the Rota Gforces until I have some more cash.

Window tint comes on Thursday.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Sorry what is plastidipping? Spray?

The wheels you already have are probably higher quality than the Rotas you want. If you like them even more now, you just saved yourself lots of money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's an aerosol spray, or it comes in a paint can. I think the original intent was to use it to dip the handles of tools into the synthetic rubber and create a new handle.

Its cool because it requires no prep other than cleaning, and if you aren't happy with it, peel it off like a sticker.

Dries hard and doesn't chip.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Wow that's good to know. I bet there are lots of uses. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
what happens when you throw a weight?

Just sayin, I typically go down and request a re-balance of my tires and ask for hidden weights before painting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How ofter are you throwing weights? I've gone through quite a sets of tires and I've never had an issue with the balance. I just bought the car and the dealership put new tires on it. But I guess if I do have an issue I'll just peel the pain off and repaint the wheel for the 6 bucks it costs for the can of paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
this stuff is cool me and my friends actually plasticdipped his whole ss blaser flat black it was the coolest thing ever although we had to use 4 cases of that stuff costing him roughly $100 lasted 2 years and he just peeled it off last week with ZERO harm to the paint its cool stuff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha thats pretty tight. Yeah its nice to know that if I ever need to respray the wheels that I can just peel the old stuff off and do it again. Its been a few weeks now and they're still holding up great!

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I think I would want to balance the wheel after applying that stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts