ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the recommendation of a friend I plasti-dipped my stock wheels this weekend. Super cheap and easy and I think it looks bada**.

before
uploadfromtaptalk1330499129081.jpg

after
uploadfromtaptalk1330499193391.jpg

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Personally I would have gone with powdercoating or a stripping and painting the wheels. I'm not sure how Platidip will hold up to the elements.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm not sure about the longevity of plasti-dip either, but for about 20 bucks I figured it was worth testing out. Worst case I can peel the stuff off and powdercoat.

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
That's true. Let us know how long it lasts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had it on the hood of my old vw for the past few months. its just hard to keep it clean since its textured.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Always been a fan of plasti-dip.

My only thing with it is that IMO it's not a permanent solution (which I'm sure you obviously know) to me its more of a "idk if my wheels will look good black...let's plasti-dip them and see!" and if you like then, then get them properly painted/powder-coated.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
what would be the cause of them not lasting? Peeling from the wheels or getting torn up from rocks/elements/etc? If the latter, could you clear coat in and kinda seal it in?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good luck, but I can't imagine that stuff lasting in that environment. Debris, heat, slop, brake dust...
Then, cleaning it off to put real paint on will be a real pita, I think.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update those who might be interested in trying this stuff out. I've done about 500 miles in various weather conditions, as well as 3 automatic car washes and it still looks good as new. Still probably not a permanent solution, but it holds up to the elements very well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just now starting to get a little peeling around the rim of the wheels where it meets the tires. I suspect hard cornering (which I tend to do a lot) is the culprit. The rest of the wheels are good as new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts