ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I am still trying to formulate my upgrade path for my STi. My desire is to get to around 400whp on 93 octane but still maintaining at least close to as good throttle response as the stock VF39 turbo and also with quicker spool up and much improved high rpm power. I realize this is going to cost money, at least 7-8k in parts alone. My hope is that it will be possible for the motor to be reliable at this power level even while AutoX'ing (30-50s of hard running at a time max). Is this a pipe dream?

Here's my current plan:

QTP Q-tec electric cut-out 3" downpipe
Borla Hush 3" catback (I hope this mates nicely to the QTec downpipe!)

Either of these as of yet unreleased turbos: APS SR55 or one of the new bolt on Garrett GT series with the proper compressor trim for my needs.

Spearco or similar bar-and-plate TMIC

PE 800cc injectors (with the necessary top feed fuel rails right?)

Walbro in-tank fuel pump (also with bigger fuel lines from what I'm reading)

Element Tuning Hydra ECM for EJ257 STi

Aquamist Water Injection system 2s (running water only. nozzle after intercooler outlet)

Perrin oil catch can (or similar)

Perrin turbo inlet pipe

Perrin intercooler hoses

Perrin radiator hoses

I plan on having Phil from Element do the tuning.. I can wait as long as it takes for an appointment.

Now... will the addition of a CAI and headers be needed/desired along with all the rest of this stuff? My guess is.. yes.. but I want some professional feedback on it before I add them to my list. Also, I'm wondering if the APS tumbler delete is desired/needed. One last thing.. even with water injection and the upgraded IC should I still re-sleeve the block and get forged pistons if I want motor longevity? As for the drivetrain.. I plan on launching it hard precious few times.. so almost always only be boosting hard while I'm already rolling in gear. Also I plan on keeping the stock clutch until it inevitably wears out fast so I can get my money's worth out of it. ;-) I've read about that guy's clutch letting go of the flywheel even while rolling at his power levels of over 400whp so I may need a clutch from the get go. I will want a clutch that will still slip somewhat when launched hard so I don't break the drivetrain!

Any feedback you can give is much appreciated! Thanks guys!!

Oh.. almost forgot to mention.. I'm ok with making 400whp only when the QTP downpipe is fully opened up.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
That looks good for right around 400whp. I wouldnt bother with headers, I know some people with bad experiances regarding the qtecs cut out motor though.

I know people with 370whp whos stock clutch is fine, if it goes out I would just get another stock clutch, Id like to keep it as a weak point in the drivetrain, they are cheaper then new trannies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
qtec problem?

So you're saying the motor that drives the QTec butterfly is prone to failure? :-(

Man, it seems like such the coolest thing to have!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I know a couple of people who have had them and they leak pretty bad, have stopped working a few times. Some have had better luck with the mccord power plate but it doesnt come on a downpipe you have to buy a cut out weld it in and then install the electric cut out. Personally im just running a manual cut out, no leaking and just takes a min to remove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts